Daemoness Cimmerian 7 String Build!

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
...guitar. You've had your hand on quite a few customs by now - by different builders, with different woods etc. I wonder, if you've any insight to offer on the "tone wood" debate - how do you feel the wood affects your tone? It might be difficult to form an truism about it, but when reading forum posts, I find usually two constants:

1) Wood doesn't matter. It's how the luthier makes them and the hardware that makes up the sound of an electric guitar.
2) Wood makes up the balanced (or unbalanced) sound of a guitar. As in: "need a bright guitar, go for what people will call bright woods"

Misha, all those customs must have led to some opinion on this matter - hope you'll share it - maybe give us your idea of what woods make up a great guitar for your style of music and playing =)

Best Regards,

Marcus

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
...guitar. You've had your hand on quite a few customs by now - by different builders, with different woods etc. I wonder, if you've any insight to offer on the "tone wood" debate - how do you feel the wood affects your tone? It might be difficult to form an truism about it, but when reading forum posts, I find usually two constants:

1) Wood doesn't matter. It's how the luthier makes them and the hardware that makes up the sound of an electric guitar.
2) Wood makes up the balanced (or unbalanced) sound of a guitar. As in: "need a bright guitar, go for what people will call bright woods"

Misha, all those customs must have led to some opinion on this matter - hope you'll share it - maybe give us your idea of what woods make up a great guitar for your style of music and playing =)

Best Regards,

Marcus

Er...wood doesn't matter? :scratch: Scuse me?

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score

Indeed. I don't think this guy is reading the same forum as the rest of us, because I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that the choice of wood affects tone a lot. :scratch:

That inlay is absolutely freaking awesome, by the way. I didn't think anything could ever top the water droplet inlay on Roo's guitar, but this definitely equals it. Dylan is definitely the real deal. :bowdown:

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score

You're misreading his post, he's putting it forth as a statement, he's not implying he agrees with it.

And yes, there are lots of people that believe wood doesn't matter. Huf was one of them.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
And yes, there are lots of people that believe wood doesn't matter. Huf was one of them.

But he's also over at TGP saying that it makes no sense to talk about the tonal properties of claro walnut because there are so many subspecies that get classified under that header. If he believed wood didn't matter, it wouldn't make sense to say that. (we're talking ........., right?)

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
But he's also over at TGP saying that it makes no sense to talk about the tonal properties of claro walnut because there are so many subspecies that get classified under that header. If he believed wood didn't matter, it wouldn't make sense to say that. (we're talking ........., right?)
We also know that Huf is pretty much insane right? Good guy, but a little crazy :lol:

Reaction score
That argument about wood not mattering isn't so much that but that:

A good slice of X wood with sound better than a lower quality of X wood.

I've never heard of anyone saying wood doesn't matter.

bulb

Reaction score
i have played a lot of guitars, both custom and production models, and i have played a lot of different guitars
and here is my take on wood

for what IM personally into, lightweight and low density woods seem to do the trick for me.
believe it or not i think that basswood is one of the best tonewoods for a guitar, and i think its hilarious that people bash it.
yes its ugly, and yes you have to put a veneer on it because it sucks with paint, but damn if my basswood guitars dont absolutely own, especially when it comes to lower tunings.
when i get ash and mahogany on a guitar, i always specify lightweight/low density wood for that same reason
and i have thus far gotten the same good results.

Invader

97.5 The Brodeo
Reaction score
believe it or not i think that basswood is one of the best tonewoods for a guitar, and i think its hilarious that people bash it.

Well, John Suhr agrees with you at least, so you're not alone.:lol:

Suhr Guitars Information on Wood - Expanding the Experience of Tone!

Basswood Back / Quilt or Flame Maple Top – Okay, this may be the Holy Grail of tone. The Basswood response is extended by a 3/16" Maple top adding more clarity and grind to the fatness of the Basswood, this combination is our favorite!

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
Did you come up with the idea for the shattered bulb inlay or did Dylan suggest it to you? Either way, Dylan is doing a smashing job with that git-fiddle!