Dating a BC Rich by serial

RLG167

Reaction score
But I'd appreciate any helpful info please

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rosal76

Reaction score
Still, I'd appreciate any info

According to the 2006 quarterly and 2007 main B.C. Rich catalogs, your Bich guitar was around during those 2 years as they are shown in those catalogs. Whether those are the only 2 years those models were released, I couldn't tell you. The unofficial B.C. Rich forum posted every B.C. Rich catalog since the 70's and had members who know everything about B.C. Rich, both U.S. custom shops and imports, but unfortunately, the forum has been closed down for some time now or else I could have gotten you more information about your Bich guitar. Congrats on your new guitar, though. :cool:

Here are some links that show your Bich guitar in the 2006 and 2007 B.C. Rich catalogs.

VintAxe.com Vintage Guitars - Vintage American Catalogs - B.C. Rich Quarterly - 2006

VintAxe.com Vintage Guitars - Vintage American Catalogs - B.C. Rich - 2007

RLG167

Reaction score
According to the 2006 quarterly and 2007 main B.C. Rich catalogs, your Bich guitar was around during those 2 years as they are shown in those catalogs. Whether those are the only 2 years those models were released, I couldn't tell you. The unofficial B.C. Rich forum posted every B.C. Rich catalog since the 70's and had members who know everything about B.C. Rich, both U.S. custom shops and imports, but unfortunately, the forum has been closed down for some time now or else I could have gotten you more information about your Bich guitar. Congrats on your new guitar, though. :cool:

Here are some links that show your Bich guitar in the 2006 and 2007 B.C. Rich catalogs.

VintAxe.com Vintage Guitars - Vintage American Catalogs - B.C. Rich Quarterly - 2006

VintAxe.com Vintage Guitars - Vintage American Catalogs - B.C. Rich - 2007

Thanks. I actually just signed up for the forum, but like you said, it was closed. It said at the bottom there was one member active and it was me

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Turns out there were a few NT series guitars made in China that did not receive serial numbers, and were mistakenly labelled "NJ Classic," rather than "NT". I guess BC Rich imported a bunch of them before they caught it. All of that happened in 2006, if I understand correctly. If there is truly no serial number, it'd be a 2006 BC Rich Bich NT Made in China misprint. Pretty rare, but not necessarily valuable.

RLG167

Reaction score
Turns out there were a few NT series guitars made in China that did not receive serial numbers, and were mistakenly labelled "NJ Classic," rather than "NT". I guess BC Rich imported a bunch of them before they caught it. All of that happened in 2006, if I understand correctly. If there is truly no serial number, it'd be a 2006 BC Rich Bich NT Made in China misprint. Pretty rare, but not necessarily valuable.

Wow, I don't know whether I'm excited or disappointed. Because on one hand it's a misprint on the headstock, but on the other hand, it's a Chinese import.

electriceye

Reaction score
Okay, here's a tricky one. This is a Bich, maple neck-through with walnut stringers and mahogany side wings (body). It also has a quilt top, Ebony fretboard, and old school BCR headstock and cloud inlays. It says NJ Classic Series on the front and on the back it only has a small sticker that says Made In China. No serial number at all. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Thanks
*Update: I tried calling BCR directly, the guy picked up the phone, I said I needed help dating my Bich. He literally said "I can't help you, look online. Have a nice day" then hung up! So it's nice to know that when I need to date an instrument the manufacturer can't even help :p

You DO realize that BC Rich has had, literally, 5 or 6 ownership changes, right? So, they cannot possibly help you.

Any of the MIC models are relatively "new," btw, less than 10 years old. As of 2016, a new company has taken over BC Rich from Hanzer (thank god).

Samson

Reaction score
I have a super strat style BC Rich platinum series possibly a gunslinger Korean made seafoam green colored. Trying to date it with no luck. Neck plate serial # is E710907. Anyone with knowledge of such things is greatly appreciated. Wanted maybe make it pretty again but Ive no clue what parts to look for.

zakattak192

Reaction score
I have a super strat style BC Rich platinum series possibly a gunslinger Korean made seafoam green colored. Trying to date it with no luck. Neck plate serial # is E710907. Anyone with knowledge of such things is greatly appreciated. Wanted maybe make it pretty again but Ive no clue what parts to look for.

Can you post some pics? and a closeup of the headstock if possible. Sounds like an ST-III from the description but pics will help determine the year.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
You sure it's from the eighties? Or is it a modern guitar made in a retro style? There is a "Gunslinger Retro" made to look like a 1980's USA ST-III, but made in Korea. They're excellent guitars. Maybe you got the neon green edition?

If it's an authentic 1980's USA ST-III, the serial number should not start with a letter other than B.

abeigor

Reaction score
Okay, here's a tricky one. This is a Bich, maple neck-through with walnut stringers and mahogany side wings (body). It also has a quilt top, Ebony fretboard, and old school BCR headstock and cloud inlays. It says NJ Classic Series on the front and on the back it only has a small sticker that says Made In China. No serial number at all. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Thanks
*Update: I tried calling BCR directly, the guy picked up the phone, I said I needed help dating my Bich. He literally said "I can't help you, look online. Have a nice day" then hung up! So it's nice to know that when I need to date an instrument the manufacturer can't even help :p

"Hey Ted, who was that?"
"Just some guy having trouble with his girlfriend. Like I have to time to work out what's wrong with the bitch he's dating."

Kira j

Reaction score
I am interested in a bc rich heritage classic mocking bird bass n would just like to know if anyone here could help me figure out where it was made as it doesnt say anywhere n possibly what year... The serial number is 7304756

Kira j

Reaction score
:wavey
I am interested in a bc rich heritage classic mocking bird bass n would just like to know if anyone here could help me figure out where it was made as it doesnt say anywhere n possibly what year... The serial number is 7304756

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The Heritage Classic Mockingbird Bass is made in China.

I'm not certain about the serial number, but if it follows other serial numbers from the same era as other imports from Korea, then I would guess it was made in Q3 of 2007, and it was the 4756th piece to get stamped in the factory. I think that actually places it a few months out of range for the product, but I don't know that much about the Heritage Classic series, sorry.

Tuned

Reaction score
Lookit what I found in a pile.
It's a bolt-on Mockingbird - or Phoenix bass? Has an USA neckplate, serial BC19346
This isn't a US bass, is it?
That serial doesn't make sense to me. 2001? the bass looks way too old for that

Attachments

• rich5.jpg
    rich5.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 16
  • rich1.jpg
    rich1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 16
  • rich3.jpg
    rich3.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 17

jakeydylan

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to date my BC Rich bass. I have no idea what type it is, but it has just an R on the headstock, I've attached a image of the body and the serial number is 38514. Somone help me please!

Attachments

• 18110401_1000983816699130_821722637_n.jpg
    18110401_1000983816699130_821722637_n.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 9

electriceye

Reaction score
You DO realize that BC Rich has had, literally, 5 or 6 ownership changes, right? So, they cannot possibly help you.

Any of the MIC models are relatively "new," btw, less than 10 years old. As of 2016, a new company has taken over BC Rich from Hanzer (thank god).

It's such a bummer that BC Rich Players forum is gone. That was probably THE only place where you could find said info.

Katastrophy

Reaction score
IMG_9731.JPG
I have been trying to find out what year my BC Rich was made in, as I got it extremely cheap when it was on sale at a 2nd hand shop down here a few years ago.

Its a platinum edition warlock, with a floyd rose trem and a normal headstock (Not one of those pointy devil ones).
I read up on how to do it, but I still cant date my serial.
I read this: Dating Your B.C. Rich Guitar | Dolphin Music
And my serial is 19651. I know its definitely before 2000, but no idea when. 1999 Maybe?

Help would be appreciated!

I'm prob 7 years too late with this but I have a Korean made platinum series warlock with that has the serial number 19832. From what I can tell, they were only made from 1987 to the early 90's. I brought mine cheap and second hand too in about '95, it has 'licensed by bc rich' on the head stock. It has the floyd rose tremblo and 2 humbuckers. I doubt it'd be worth selling, it's made of plywood or chip board or something cheap, the tremblo is known for going out of tune and breaking strings, it wasn't the base model at the time it was the next one up. But as for dating, I'm thinking 1989, if 24 in a serial number is 2004, this guitar is pre 1999, so I'd guess the 19 is 1989. Yours number 651, mine 832. But that's a guess, I've uploaded a pic of my headstock for you so you can see if it's he same (excuse the dust, it's in need of some tlc)

Barnacle

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with dating my 2 BC Rich guitars? I have an Indonesian made Bronze Series Mockingbird w/ just the serial numbers on the BC Rich (in raised lettering) neck bolt-on plate, and the serial numbers are: 9072241. I have looked for what seems like forever without finding a site for dating the lower end of the line Bronze Series guitars.

For my Gibson's and Epiphone's, I use a great site: www.guitardaterproject.org but like I said, I've simply had no luck at all with the lower end of line BC Rich's.

My BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock (also made in Indonesia) Model WG-5T/R (sticker on neck, just above the bolt-on plate) has the same neck bolt-on plate with the BC Rich logo in raised lettering, and the serial numbers on this one are: S02052469, which leads me to believe that S might be the plant designation, and the manufacture date might be February, 2005 and the Production run # would be 2469.

Any help at all on this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I have successfully been able to date, and determine the manufacturing plant, as well as the production number for my 19 other guitars, but the BC Rich "Bronze Series" low end guitars continue to baffle me!

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
It's such a bummer that BC Rich Players forum is gone. That was probably THE only place where you could find said info.
Actually the best place to ask any info is the neal moser shredders forum. Neal has a vast wealth of BC rich knowledge. He used to work for them and designed a few of their guitars.

Latest posts