Dealing with neck dive

Jamiecrain

Reaction score
I have acquired a new multi-scale 7 string with a Tele-style body and by all accounts it is an amazing guitar. However it is the only guitar I've ever owned that has an issue with neck dive.

It seems to be because the front strap button doesn't reach outwards enough, though there's no way to change that as it's already at the outer most point. I'm using a 3" nylon Dimarzio clip-lock strap which is fine but I wonder if a strap that was made of a more "grippy" material would fix the issue.

What do other people do to fix neck dive issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I've got an SG that I love but of course it has the typical dive. I made some changes with lighter tuners, and adding lead stick-on weights to the inside of the control cavity. But yeah, the most improvement came from changing from a poly to a leather strap. Levys cotton straps are also pretty good at keeping my guitars from shifting/ sliding but some of the leather straps ( as long as they're not a super supple smooth type) work well at keeping some guitars in place. Another thing that helps is the strap width... going from a standard 2" to 3" if you can manage the wider width.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
I'd try moving that front strap button lower. Even if it's at the outer most point right now moving it lower should improve the neck balance, for the price of balance in the main guitar axis, but that can be easly secured.

Werecow

Reaction score
I've always just used a grippier strap before when i've had that problem. Either wider strap, or real leather (with the natural soft, unfinished leather on the back), or both!

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
there is an untapped market for products that solve neck dive issues. one would think guitar makers would address this. who lives with a car the pulls hard to the right from day one?

says the guy who owns 2 SGs...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
there is an untapped market for products that solve neck dive issues. one would think guitar makers would address this. who lives with a car the pulls hard to the right from day one?

says the guy who owns 2 SGs...
100% agree. Old guitars get a pass, because they couldn't possibly have thought of all things back then. But anything made in the last 30-40 years as zero excuse for neck dive.

gnoll

Reaction score
I don't like dealing with neck-dive by using a grippier strap because then it feels like the strap is constantly tugging at you.

Same, but it's less of a stop-the-neck-from-diving and more of a pull-my-shirt-off-my-shoulder device.

Yeah, that!

I prefer things like swapping to lighter tuners or moving the holes for the strap locks.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Not happening!

It's a seriously good guitar in all ways, just this one little annoyance...
I play mostly standing, dive is a dealbreaker for me. Sounds like it isnt for you, so hopefully it can be fixed!

Shask

Reaction score
I pretty much cant play guitars without an upper horn for this reason. Drives me crazy.

I had a guitar once where I got steel rods and put them in the control cavity. Tried to weigh down the back end to counterbalance.

Rex

Reaction score
I use a sport wristband, I opened a little hole and put little counterweights inside until the neck dive got compensated, finally i inserted the strap through the wristband and problem solved without any modification

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Couch makes outstanding vinyl faux leather straps in a variety of sizes. I've ordered a few from them over the years and never regretted it.
+1 Couch guitar straps have 3" straps that do wonders for neck dive situations.

You may also want to check out Mono, they make great straps along with awesome heavy gig bags.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
If the guitar is reasonably light, a grippy strap will work.

But IME if the guitar has some heft to it, the grippy strap won't help. The guitar will still dive but now the strap pulls your shirt with it. If it's kinda heavy and still dives, there's no hope.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Actually keen to see if anyone has advice for an insanely heavy guitar. I have one that's made of lead (a particularly hefty piece of ash) and the huge thick leather strap I got for it, if anything, feels worse than the cheap ancient Dunlop grommet strap I was using before. The thinner strap at least felt comfortable, the big leather one just drags my shirt and my moob down to the floor along with it.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
100% agree. Old guitars get a pass, because they couldn't possibly have thought of all things back then. But anything made in the last 30-40 years as zero excuse for neck dive.
Not sure if I get your point. Nobody's forced to buy an SG or Telecaster. As long as people buy guitars with neck dive, guitar makers will continue producing them.