Dean guitars

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
lol its funny when the founder, DBZ or whatever his name is, left the company because he didnt like the direction it was going on.. They need to stop promoting Dimebag so much. its actually made me kinda hate dimebag, cause all I hear about is him from these 13 year old kids playing an ML thinking hes the greatest guitarist ever because he has 50 signature models.. please..

+ 200,000. I never listened to Dimebag and this does not help ever. I would have a negative view on Chuck if BC rich put out 30 signatures a year.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
+ 200,000. I never listened to Dimebag and this does not help ever. I would have a negative view on Chuck if BC rich put out 30 signatures a year.

now hating dimebag cause he died and someone else is taking advantage of his name is just stupid. Its not his fault, he has no control. hes DEAD :squint:

soliloquy

Reaction score
well...keep in mind that dime isnt the company. dime isnt the guitar. dime isnt the quality. who cares if dime has all the sigs? dean has about 120 plus electric guitars, and out of which, only 30 of em are deans guitars. if you break those 30 of em down, you'll see that the only thing that difference from one to the other is the paint. narrow it down the list, and you'll see this:
1 razor back USA
1razorback usa V
1 ml USA
1 korean ml
1 korean razorback
1bolt on ml

so stop yelling at dean for making the entire company on dime. sure, hes a big chunk, but thats about it. i'm sure dave mustaine has several guitars offered in hundreds of different colors. if dean lists em all into individual sigs, then dave has 15 plus sigs...

deans marketing tactics may not be strong...but comment on their guitars quality...

like, how are their frets? their pickups, hardware, paint, finishes, wood, weight, balance, sustain, etc etc etc...

and yes, the headstock has GOT TO GO!!!!

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
Quality wise, the fretwork on my Razorback 7 impressed me a lot... the pickups are stock EMG707... They're cool but I'm really curious to try the Blackouts. I pull some Trey Azagthoth stuff on the licensed floyd rose and it holds its tunning REALLY good. Wood sounds great, its a tad on the heavy side (its Mohagany and i'm used to smaller basswood guitars), it has incredible balance (kinda like a Gibson Explorer or Ibanez Destroyer) and it sustains really well.

The down side on this guitar is the paint. The paint is fine, the clear coat is just a mess though, couple of bubbles here and there. But most importantly, the finish on the back of the neck is perfect. The black chrome is rubbing off of the bridge after less than a month's use (must have some crazy acid sweat or something) and I do keep it clean (I wipe it down everytime I'm done playing it) so that kinda sucks big time.

I didn't pick this guitar because of all the Dimebag hype but more because this guitar had everything I was looking for and I've always prefered "star" shaped guitars because they fit perfectly with the way I sit down to play (I play with the guitar resting on my left leg as opposed to most people that play with the guitar resting on the right leg).
So all in all, great guitar but for the price (1350$ CND before tax), I was expecting a perfect clear coat and no finish blemishes. Though I saw a 2100$ USA Made RR Jackson the other day and it seemed to suffer the same thing clear coat wise (especially where the binding around the fretboard and the body meet) so i'm guessing every guitar company is cutting off some quality to produce faster ?

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Back in 90's a friend of mine had this Dean that was absolutely amazingm it had what looked like a Kahler trem (it wasn't) and the action and playability was amazing. At this point i had'nt heard of Dimebag or Pantera, so the only other artist I knew that had one was Rik Emmet.

Fast forward to now, some of the upper range ML's and Razorbacks are not bad, but for the price you could get a "custom" Carvin V220 with way better hardware, woods, and specs, for little bit more (if not the same) money.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
like, how are their frets? their pickups, hardware, paint, finishes, wood, weight, balance, sustain, etc etc etc...

95% of the time,
bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, all over the place, poor, bad, etc etc etc

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
The USA Deans I've played have been uniformly great. The Chinese-made imports are, well, pretty much like every other Chinese-made import guitar out there.

I almost bought a used Dean V back in about 1986 for $250. It was a pearl white guitar with that odd V-shaped neck profile that Dean used frequently back then. The V headstock looked good on that design. Wish I'd grabbed it--I could probably sell it for big bucks now. Back then, Dean was mostly known for making more aggressive versions of Gibson designs, which is probably why Dimebag got turned on to them originally.

Loz

Reaction score
My Dime o Flame is beautiful XD

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
The USA Deans I've played have been uniformly great. The Chinese-made imports are, well, pretty much like every other Chinese-made import guitar out there.

I almost bought a used Dean V back in about 1986 for $250. It was a pearl white guitar with that odd V-shaped neck profile that Dean used frequently back then. The V headstock looked good on that design. Wish I'd grabbed it--I could probably sell it for big bucks now. Back then, Dean was mostly known for making more aggressive versions of Gibson designs, which is probably why Dimebag got turned on to them originally.

The USA guitars are good, ill give them that. the chinese stuff though, and even the other NonUS shit they put out though, is generally significantly worse than jackson's and ibanez' offerings in the pricerange, or even in the ranges below

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I played one of those 'dime-o-flame' ML's at a shop a few years ago...

The Pickup stopped working and I've never touched one since...

They dont compare to other guitar companies anymore and If you're talking about seven strings, the Razorback 7's are a disgrace...

klutvott

Reaction score
I have a purple 79 ML. One of those limited runs they do. Can't remember what i payed for it but it was cheap. IT's actually a very good guitar. I set it up with extremely low action(something i usually don't do) and it's buzz free. PLays very nice and the pickups are OK. I changed the bridge pickup to a screamin demon and it now sounds awesome.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score

i actually think the big V headstock is extremely cool. it doesn't/wouldn't work for every guitar shape, but it does look fantastic on some.

none of their current models appeal to me terribly much with their current specs.
but a 7 string caddy or ML in 25.5" scale would be pretty tempting to me.
a 25.5" scale soltero would be awful nice, too.

i have an older dean (that looks like a melted strat) that is easily my favorite 6 stringer. it plays like buttah.

Yoshi

Reaction score
Well you own it, Its a Natural Bias...

I just hate the feel, The USA ones are okay, but in terms of 7 strings - they just dont feel too nice.

I Agree, they look very bulky.

Besides, Dean's business practices are disgraceful IMO. Whoring out Dime's name and image like that saddens me as a fan.

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
Well you own it, Its a Natural Bias...

I just hate the feel, The USA ones are okay, but in terms of 7 strings - they just dont feel too nice.

True true, they aren't for everyone and they are bulky but did try it out in store and it stood out (for me anyway) feel wise. That's why I picked it up. Love the shape, love the feel.

Concerning Dean's marketing strategy, isn't this thread about their guitars? not the ways they employ to sell them (or sell more?)

Because seriously, I would of picked up that same guitar with or without Dime's name on it. You can't just pick up a guitar because it has your guitar hero's name on it, its just not good practice in my opinion. What works for someone won't necessarily work for you.

Marketing wise, I'd have to agree, it is a damn disgrace to latch onto a fallen legend's name just to cash in some more. But that's capitalism I guess and its main principle is to do whatever you can to sell more and gain more capital.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I think i've played about 10 various Dean V's (not Razorbacks) in the past 2 months and the ones I've played were really nice. There were a few QC issues, but nothing I haven't seen before on other guitars from more "respected" manufacturers.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Concerning Dean's marketing strategy, isn't this thread about their guitars? not the ways they employ to sell them (or sell more?)

my point exactly! starting a dean thread is harder than making a nuclear bomb! people cant really diffrinciate between the guitar brands guitars, and the endrosee's guitars, and then they base the company on an endorsee. kinda like this:

oh, i have to get a fender start! simply coz hendrix played a fender. i bet the reason why he's so godly is coz of that strat! i need his signature strat!

like wise, people dont really buy randy rhoads RR1, 3, 5 or other RRs coz its his guitar, they just buy it coz of the feel...so why not the same treatment for an ML guitar, or any other dean? its beyond me...

controversyking

ss.org regular
Reaction score
:noway: Not a big fan.

$1000 for a chinese made guitar (their razorbacks) which feel like crap seems like stealing to me.

Never played a dean I was happy with, and that goes for all their models.

I think at any price range or style you can find a much better guitar from a different company.