Death/Chuck Schuldiner Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter Chuck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite Death album?

• Total voters

Kwert

Reaction score
Agreed, but I think the obvious reasons for that are that Dark Angel was a progressive/technical thrash band and Death ended up being a progressive/technical death metal band. Gene Hoglan played in both of them. But they are still thrash, although I'd say clearly not definitive thrash.

Sodom, at least when it sounds more like Death, is as much a black metal band as it is a thrash band, with Sodom and Kreator co-influencing each other.

Genres are these little buckets we put bands into, and often times, the bands don't really fit in those buckets. The thrash bucket was put where the "big four" were spilling onto the scene. There are tons of different bands with their own sound that spills into multiple buckets or in between two buckets, but that doesn't mean the two buckets are the same.

Normally I'd say the distinction between genres is dumb anyway, but in the case of 80's thrash, it was a huge phenomenon, as in this kind of movement in metal happened only maybe 3 times ever.

But you are right. 80's thrash is a bigger cloud of bands than I gave credit in my post, and there are definitely bands who fit pretty nicely in-between Metallica and Death.

Definitely agree with all of this. All I really meant is that there’s a heavy thrash influence in the early death records (especially SBG and Leprosy), but not really the Bay Area stuff, though as you said, that was probably the biggest movement in that large genre bucket happening at the time. I hear more Sacrifice, Razor, Slaughter (arguably death metal if we want to get genre nitpicky 😉) and the other three bands I mentioned than I do Metallica, Anthrax, Testament, Exodus etc.

A lot of the proto-death metal/early death metal coming out of the US had big thrash influences that slowly gave way to newer, more genre-defining sounds as they carved their own path.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
Idk how tf you guys can tell the difference between all these genres anyway.

Someone will say here listen to this amazing blackened technical death core and I'm like hmm it sounds like strapping young lad.

For me there are just three levels of metal. Traditional early light metal like iron maiden, the heavy metal stuff like metallica, slipknot, blind guardian, and then everyone that uses blast beats and indecipherable screaming is extreme metal. But I just call it all metal.