Decent mic for live backing vocals?

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
We used to have two singers in our band, but one of them quit and now I'm handling the backing vocal duties instead. Due to this, I'm using the wireless mic he used to have and it's an unnecessary pain (batteries, gain staging, etc) considering it's on a mic stand now and I can do with a regular mic, so I'm thinking about getting a decent one.

What's up there besides the tried and true SM58? I'm probably in the baritone-bass vocal range so I guess a brigh sounding mic will be a good choice but honestly I have no clue so I figured I'd ask around before getting the SM58.

Any suggestions?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used an Audix i5 for a few years with a loud pop punk kind of band, akin to Jimmy Eat World. I liked it and the rest of the band liked it.

With other bands it was 58's, 57's or whatever was available. I wasn't doing lead vocals so I wasn't super picky.

I could be mistaken but I think 57's and 58's might roll off more low end. I never did a direct A/B to a 57 but I've read people say the i5 is brighter.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Another vote for a SM57, 58, or something in the same vein.

You want something with a tight directional pattern and not prticularly hot, to minimize stage bleed and feedback.

I used an Audix i5 for a few years with a loud pop punk kind of band, akin to Jimmy Eat World. I liked it and the rest of the band liked it.

With other bands it was 58's, 57's or whatever was available. I wasn't doing lead vocals so I wasn't super picky.

I could be mistaken but I think 57's and 58's might roll off more low end. I never did a direct A/B to a 57 but I've read people say the i5 is brighter.
The i5 is brighter, with a higher "peak," and a bit more low end. I didn't love it on guitars, and I suppose the main reason I wouldn't give it more than casual consideration (like, use it if you already have one) is that you can pretty much never go wrong owning an extra SM57.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

You want something with a tight directional pattern and not prticularly hot, to minimize stage bleed and feedback.

The i5 is brighter, with a higher "peak," and a bit more low end. I didn't love it on guitars, and I suppose the main reason I wouldn't give it more than casual consideration (like, use it if you already have one) is that you can pretty much never go wrong owning an extra SM57.

Now that I think of it a SM57 would also be double duty for recording guitars if needed... 🤔

But I think that the 57 being more directional would be a problem for me since backing vocals occasionally involve singing "sideways" due to inevitably looking at the fretboard. I could probably also use the SM58 for recording since it would be used for quick clips on rehearsals and things like that.

Last edited:

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
You could always go with a Shure Super 55. It looks like a classic, but contains a Beta 58 capsule, so it is really a great dynamic mic. It looks a bit classier than a 58 too.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
If you don't already have a mic (or mics) for recording guitar the 57 would be my first vote because it's good for both, and also so much more.

That Super 55 is undeniably classy though. My buddy who plays in a rockabilly band uses one and it's the look.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Sennheiser e835 is the same price as an sm58, and in my opinion superior.

The e935 is at 199 new, and in another league sound wise. Superior in every way.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Now that I think of it a SM57 would also be double duty for recording guitars if needed... 🤔

But I think that the 57 being more directional would be a problem for me since backing vocals occasionally involve singing "sideways" due to inevitably looking at the fretboard. I could probably also use the SM58 for recording since it would be used for quick clips on rehearsals and things like that.
A 58 and 57 are the same mic under the pop screen, the 57 just has a stronger proximity effect because you can get your source closer to the capsule.

Trust me, you REALLY don't want a mic with a large pickup radius on a stage. If it doesn't capture much except for what's being sung right into it, that's a GOOD thing.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Sennheiser e835 is the same price as an sm58, and in my opinion superior.

The e935 is at 199 new, and in another league sound wise. Superior in every way.
The e935 is tempting, but I fear it might be "wasted" on me since I'm just starting as a backup singer. Not discarding it though!

SE V7. Doesn't break the bank but a big step up from 58.
This might sound silly because it's a mic, but it looks dope in black and red. Seems brighter than the SM58 which would probably be a better fit for my vocal range.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
IMO it makes sense to stick with the standard 58 unless you're bringing your own mics to venues. If you're the type to just roll up to the venue and use whatever they've already got, 9 times out of 10 it'll be a beat up 58 anyway, so you'd be shooting yourself in the foot acclimatizing yourself to something entirely different.

col

blah.
Reaction score
This might sound silly because it's a mic, but it looks dope in black and red. Seems brighter than the SM58 which would probably be a better fit for my vocal range.
It comes with both black and red filters so you can change it out if you tire of it.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Seconding the 58, it's built like a tank and I've been using one since Ireland, so it's 10+ years old now (and looking like it) and working without a hitch. A 57 might be better if you also want to record bass/guitar with it down the line, but the 58 can be had for much less money.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Seconding the 58, it's built like a tank and I've been using one since Ireland, so it's 10+ years old now (and looking like it) and working without a hitch. A 57 might be better if you also want to record bass/guitar with it down the line, but the 58 can be had for much less money.
They should be the same price? I see them both as $99 on Sweetwater, but maybe for some reason it's different in France?

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Love 58s/57s (it's basically the same mic), but they have a strong proximity effect (tons of bass when really close). Which actually sucks for backing vocals, because you wanna stay consistently close to minimise dynamics / bleed from the stage, but you don't need lots of bass / lo mids for backing vocals.
Better get something that doesn't have that. We use KSM8s, they are amazing for close singing, but quite pricey. Sennheiser is good, but my ultimate recommendation would be a used Beyerdynamic M69 (if you live in europe, these are easy to come by, built like a tank, hypercardioid + built with a softer bass response).

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
They should be the same price? I see them both as $99 on Sweetwater, but maybe for some reason it's different in France?
To be fair I bought mine in 2009-2010 in Ireland. I remember the 57 being more expensive then otherwise I'd have bought that.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I was using this $89 Stagg vintage style mic for lead vocals in my black metal band, it worked great.
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 16.44.52.png

I now use this cheaper $30 Pyle plastic version of it and its great too.
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 16.45.46.png