Decrease screen time as new years resolution

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, my commute can’t compete with that. I drive like an hour round-trip for work, so that keeps me off-screen with a good opportunity for checking out new music. Apart from that, similar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, mark my words:
- Your problem is not screen time.
- Your problem is the 4h that your daily commute swallows.
- Make finding another job your new year resolution.

vejichan

Reaction score
Ok, mark my words:
- Your problem is not screen time.
- Your problem is the 4h that your daily commute swallows.
- Make finding another job your new year resolution.
you do what you gotta do to support your family. 1-2hr commute each way i would imagine is pretty common for anybody who goes to work.
1-2 hr commute means the time it takes the moment you leave your house to when you step foot at work. This include 5 min walk to the train station, 10min waiting for the train, and then waiting on the train for about an hr and 20min and then walking another 5-10min to your office.

I did however work remote for 5months during lockdown a year ago and it was great. I finally got that time back and was have the time to make music/play guitar and record my 1st album. So there is that.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No shade on OP but if you're ever going to make meaningful progress, you have to be honest with yourself. Some of what I'm reading is a "I use my phone too much" but when pressed, you frame what you do, when you do it and why you do it as very practical.

Either you're being 100% transparent and you're actually one of the .01% people who actually use their phone a reasonable way (and *don't* need this as a resolution) or you're minimizing. And whatever, you don't owe anything to random people on the internet but telling strangers you have a goal and sharing your story is about documenting your journey and holding yourself to something.

Maybe you're being totally up front, I'm not one to accuse anyone of anything, I'm just saying if you're trying to make progress on some goal and in any way minimize it because you're concerned with judgement, you're not helping yourself. Just my :2c:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The said, I'm VERY often on my phone, some of it tethered to work but definitely a lot of it as a distraction.

I don't think it's really about cutting down on screen time, more about having other activities that don't involve a screen to keep you well rounded and chip away at tasks that don't involve your phone.

I think stuff like locking up your phone or having a schedule of when or how long you can use it kinda misses the point (I know a lot of people take that approach). For myself, I prefer to pick something or even a few things that wouldn't be practical to handle a phone; like doing a small home project or making an elaborate meal. And even string a couple of them together, leaving my phone on the charger. Whatever it is, it should be an hour or two specifically when you could be/should be free to use your phone (not using it while you're at work and you can't anyway doesn't count) but you do something else instead.

If you're someone that habitually spend every spare moment on your phone, getting into a routine like that you eventually make using your phone an activity choice (alongside anything else you could do, like changing your oil) rather than your default.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello there!
General Veji, it's been a while.
Now, I might be getting old but if my memory serves me right it's the third time you've asked the same question.

Let me channel my inner Glenn Fricker voice:
Just STOP thinking about the screens! You can't go around avoiding them, it's 2023! We're going to be in a Cyberpunk world soon and you know what that means - SCREENS ALL OVER YOU! BRIGHT YELLOW, BLUE, RED AND YES NEON GREEN ALSO! WAIT A MINUTE, WE ALREADY HAVE THIS!! Unless you want to go back ~100 years, there is nothing you can do about it. A screen here and there is not going to ruin your eyesight or mess with your sleep schedule. Delete all those annoying apps that send a notification every 10 minutes, stop coming back to this forum every day and try to relax a bit more. Go work out, pick up a nice book, learn cooking (please don't make a new thread about easy meals for people who can't cook) and most importantly play your guitar! Setting up an amp sim in a computer takes probably 2 minutes, that's only 3.33% of an hour! That's not even considered a "screen time".

Rant over, have a blessful day!

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
you do what you gotta do to support your family.
Sure. You can also support your family with a different job.

1-2hr commute each way i would imagine is pretty common for anybody who goes to work.
No it's not. I had a job like that when I was living in London and I hated it. It literally consumed my life. I believe the person I know that travels the longest to go to work does a 40min hour drive.

1-2 hr commute means the time it takes the moment you leave your house to when you step foot at work. This include 5 min walk to the train station, 10min waiting for the train, and then waiting on the train for about an hr and 20min and then walking another 5-10min to your office.
I know what commute is.

I did however work remote for 5months during lockdown a year ago and it was great. I finally got that time back and was have the time to make music/play guitar and record my 1st album. So there is that.
There's your answer. There it is. You said it yourself.

tedtan

Reaction score
you do what you gotta do to support your family. 1-2hr commute each way i would imagine is pretty common for anybody who goes to work.

No, 1-2 hours each way is not normal.

I once worked a job that took me 1-1.5 hours each way for a few months, but as soon as I could move on, I did, and vowed not to commute more than 30 minutes each way again. And frankly, i shoot for around 15 minutes each way. More than that is wasting your life.

And that doesn’t necessarily mean to change jobs; if you like your current job, you can always move closer to it rather than changing jobs.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

I once worked a job that took me 1-1.5 hours each way for a few months, but as soon as I could move on, I did, and vowed not to commute more than 30 minutes each way again. And frankly, i shoot for around 15 minutes each way. More than that is wasting your life.

And that doesn’t necessarily mean to change jobs; if you like your current job, you can always move closer to it rather than changing jobs.

You're barking up the wrong tree, he's made other threads about jobs for his family and etc etc, and it's never going to go anywhere; veji is just going to keep doing the same thing as always and think something will miraculously change, while he keeps making threads about what changes he wants to make and never does.

tedtan

Reaction score
You're barking up the wrong tree, he's made other threads about jobs for his family and etc etc, and it's never going to go anywhere; veji is just going to keep doing the same thing as always and think something will miraculously change, while he keeps making threads about what changes he wants to make and never does.
Well, as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Holy shit, this is the most interactive vejichan has ever been in one of his own threads. Looks like you’re going in the opposite direction of your Resolution in the process!

Demiurge

Reaction score
The 4hr commute thing really ties a lot of these elements together. I had a commute situation like that for 3 months and I found myself trying to make all these little self-improvement deals with myself: I'll eat better, I'll use commute time to catch-up on reading, I'll try to maximize the time away from work/commute to make my life better... and guess how I did on all of those things. But the fact of the matter is that when half of your waking life is being treated like shit at work and half of the remaining time is being crammed like sardine in a can to get to & from that experience, there's no shaking that.

Luckily, I found a new job and now I just get treated like shit for 75% of my waking life, but in the comfort of my home. :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The 4hr commute thing really ties a lot of these elements together. I had a commute situation like that for 3 months and I found myself trying to make all these little self-improvement deals with myself: I'll eat better, I'll use commute time to catch-up on reading, I'll try to maximize the time away from work/commute to make my life better... and guess how I did on all of those things. But the fact of the matter is that when half of your waking life is being treated like shit at work and half of the remaining time is being crammed like sardine in a can to get to & from that experience, there's no shaking that.

Luckily, I found a new job and now I just get treated like shit for 75% of my waking life, but in the comfort of my home. :lol:

Exactly. I lived in Haverhill from 2015-2020, and was working in Charlestown the entire time, so that's a ~33 mile commute that would normally take 35-40 mins without traffic; but at 7AM when everyone else in the state is commuting in? Started at an hour, then it crept up, and up, and up, until it was taking me between an hour and a half/hour-and-forty five mins to get there so I just slept later and got in for 9:30AM to whenever-the-fuck-I-thought-I-was-done PM. Eventually I couldn't deal with it anymore, just day in day out, and I moved out when I finally found a place in Malden I could move out and take backroads into work.

Who would've though, cutting an hour/hour and fifteen minutes out of your commute every day would lead to a happier life? Anyone you ask!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

Honestly, tedtan is right, and fixing this will do more than anything else to improve your quality of life.

I did a 2+ hour commute each way for the better part of a year in my early 20s. I read a TON was the best I could say about it. When I finally moved to be closer to my job and cut that down to an hour, and then eventually left that job for one that required less overtime, it was like getting my whole life back. Today, my commute is either around 30 minutes by subway or around 15-18 by bike (which I'm still doing as long as the roads are ice free - no bad weather, only bad gear) and to work a 9 hour day and lose less than an hour to my commute (and even get in a tiny bit of training on the commute, though unless i've been struggling to get in intensity I try to go pretty easy so I'll be fresher for proper intensity workouts) has been a game changer.

I'm not saying it'll be easy to figure out - IIRC you live outside of New York and work in NYC, so moving closer to work is probably tough... but looking for a comparable job closer to home is certainly doable, and one where you primarily work remote is even more so. There's no need to self flagellate here. Making your life better will make you more present to spend time with your family.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
For comparison, I live 5m away from work 10m with traffic. I used to commute 5hrs per practice 10x week. Not doing that anymore was a huge deal, cost savings and health savings.