Delay pedals

• Thread starter Csm84123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I generally dont like really dark delays, because they get buried too much. I tend to like that 80s/90s rack Delay type tone. Digital with hi/low filters to cut the mud and glass.

I do like darker Reverb though. I dont like when Reverb gets that fizzy glitchy type thing in the tail. I like dark and clear. I have been comparing my Lexicon and TC Electronics rack units lately, and I tend to notice the Lexicon has more of the brighter fizzy thing going on, and TC tends to have that smoother, darker thing going on. That seems to be the 2 major families of Reverb.

I have been wondering if I would like the Flashback/Hall of Fame combo, or if that would be too much of a downgrade.
I agree, I tend to like brighter delays, but most of the delays I've gotten rid of in the past were just too bright. I LOVE the way tape delays and other analog style delays sound when other people use them but they never sound that way for me LOL!

The Vox DelayLab and Double Deca were two others I had. I actually really liked the DelayLab. Not sure why I got rid of that. I don't think I had any major issues with the Double Deca either, but I just wasn't using it, so I sold it. FWIW, I had the HoF with the Flashback and, for about the same price used, I'd 100% just get a Collider.

One of the biggest things to me lately in a delay is being able to see the actual milliseconds I set it to on the actual interface. Aside from the brighter sound of the Collider (mostly on the reverbs, I liked the delays), this was one of the major drawbacks of that pedal to me - I HAD to use the app to get this functionality. Since most of my board is MIDI now, it's nice to have presets precisely dialed in to tempos I generally play in. I could definitely always use a tap tempo, but I only find that useful for just jamming out to an unspecific track or with friends. I could always sync tempo with a click track if I was playing live, but I'm not, so I like being able to set exactly to 500ms, 250ms, etc. especially if I'm using dual delays. It weirds me out when one delays at a tempo that's not a perfect division of the other :lol:
Nothing wrong with the HX delays imo (I have an HX one) that said, for my daily driver delay I prefer my RE-202 by a very wide margin to the similar models in the HX.

if I'm using HX delays like to utilize the more unique/oddball stuff on there. Which is kind of why I got the HX one in general to begin with... wildcard pedal slot that allows for a lot of different FX I wouldn't dedicate a permanent space on my pedalboard for
Fair. I haven't tried the RE-202, but I tried the RE-2 next to my Stomp and the Cosmos Echo is VERY close. Helix has a ton of really great delays in it though. Adriatic, Transistor Tape, Heliosphere, Dynamic, Reverse, etc. are all heavily used in my patches. The main issue I have with most of them is that they chose to put the stock settings for most of them with modulation turned on and I generally hate modulation, which makes it difficult to demo the different delays. Once you actually learn how to use them, they are fantastic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
I agree, I tend to like brighter delays, but most of the delays I've gotten rid of in the past were just too bright. I LOVE the way tape delays and other analog style delays sound when other people use them but they never sound that way for me LOL!

The Vox DelayLab and Double Deca were two others I had. I actually really liked the DelayLab. Not sure why I got rid of that. I don't think I had any major issues with the Double Deca either, but I just wasn't using it, so I sold it. FWIW, I had the HoF with the Flashback and, for about the same price used, I'd 100% just get a Collider.

One of the biggest things to me lately in a delay is being able to see the actual milliseconds I set it to on the actual interface. Aside from the brighter sound of the Collider (mostly on the reverbs, I liked the delays), this was one of the major drawbacks of that pedal to me - I HAD to use the app to get this functionality. Since most of my board is MIDI now, it's nice to have presets precisely dialed in to tempos I generally play in. I could definitely always use a tap tempo, but I only find that useful for just jamming out to an unspecific track or with friends. I could always sync tempo with a click track if I was playing live, but I'm not, so I like being able to set exactly to 500ms, 250ms, etc. especially if I'm using dual delays. It weirds me out when one delays at a tempo that's not a perfect division of the other :lol:
Yeah, the Collider has always looked appealing to me, but I hate that it cant do dual delay and reverb at the same time. Also, I know the Flashback has the TriChorus as one of the modulation types, so I know it should be able to get the Corona TriChorus tone. I have that tone on my G Major 2, and I love that tone. The Dual Delay with the TriChorus is pretty much my favorite setting on the G Major 2, lol.

I think I hunted for analog effects for years because the internet said they were better, but I have found through the years the digital units are actually the ones with the sounds I like the best. The digital dual delays, the multi voices choruses, etc...

I am with you on the bpm settings. I actually wouldn't buy a delay pedal for years because of that. I am spoiled by the rack units having actual bpm, ms, etc.. settings that pedals just seem cheap for not having them. Actually one thing that is questionable about the Collider to me is that their app doesn't have the numbers. It has like 1-127 or some generic thing. However, I am starting to question how much I REALLY use them. I have kind of had this overall life feeling lately of only wanting what I need, vs having extra unnecessary things. From guitar gear, to kitchen gadgets, to clothes, I have been getting more like this about everything. Technically my Axe FX does ALL of this stuff, but if a single delay pedal could make me just as happy without all the extra BS attached, it seems like it would be a good move to go more minimal.

Shask

Reaction score
This damn thread.... lol

I took a pile of pedals I haven't used in years and traded them in for the Flashback 2, and Hall of Fame 2 today.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Yeah, the Collider has always looked appealing to me, but I hate that it cant do dual delay and reverb at the same time. Also, I know the Flashback has the TriChorus as one of the modulation types, so I know it should be able to get the Corona TriChorus tone. I have that tone on my G Major 2, and I love that tone. The Dual Delay with the TriChorus is pretty much my favorite setting on the G Major 2, lol.

I think I hunted for analog effects for years because the internet said they were better, but I have found through the years the digital units are actually the ones with the sounds I like the best. The digital dual delays, the multi voices choruses, etc...

I am with you on the bpm settings. I actually wouldn't buy a delay pedal for years because of that. I am spoiled by the rack units having actual bpm, ms, etc.. settings that pedals just seem cheap for not having them. Actually one thing that is questionable about the Collider to me is that their app doesn't have the numbers. It has like 1-127 or some generic thing. However, I am starting to question how much I REALLY use them. I have kind of had this overall life feeling lately of only wanting what I need, vs having extra unnecessary things. From guitar gear, to kitchen gadgets, to clothes, I have been getting more like this about everything. Technically my Axe FX does ALL of this stuff, but if a single delay pedal could make me just as happy without all the extra BS attached, it seems like it would be a good move to go more minimal.

I didn't have a multifx unit for many, many years until I gave in after reading all the hype about the Axe FX in 2021. Sold it 2022. I don't have the spare time or interest in diving into all those menus and everything + the kitchen sink. And my pedals make me happy, even some do only one thing.

I'll never forget what a wise old guy at a guitar store told me in the early 90s when I was trying to save up for a rack. He said "Kid, what people really want is good tone. Get a tube amp and a pedal or two for effects you really like. Racks won't be the thing forever".

Then I discovered the Mesa MkIV and the rest is history.

I use my t.c. NOVA and DD500 and neither is leaving. Could easily add another pedal at some point though. The EVH Dual Delay looks very interesting, although not $500 interesting. So I lurk in the shadows.....waiting....

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
Which was probably 70s wisdom. Play Gibson or gtfo…

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i went from the cb onward vids to revisiting drolofx vids. Stamme is cool but then i found basement lyle’s strands videos and sleepy me is a lil gassy.

Then 10m ago one gets listed locally at more than what it would cost for shipping. Already have one expensive pedal i need to sell but this has some capabilities for doomy textural things :metal: