Depression success stories?

• Thread starter Dr. Caligari
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fabronaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've had depression since my late adolescence and can pinpoint the first time I noticed it. I didn't receive a formal diagnosis of any sort until around a decade later. I can count maybe a handful of professionals out of dozens that were actually helpful back then and took a few minutes to truly listen and give a damn.

it's a bit surreal to be told "oh you probably have XYZ" only to have a doctor clarify later that they were more or less thinking out loud or presenting a possible diagnosis. comorbid conditions are difficult to diagnose since the symptoms often overlap, can create a feedback loop, can be mistaken for other illnesses, etc. being able to name what it might be was sort of helpful, but only up to a point.

before I was diagnosed, it was really confusing and painful to find that I couldn't sleep, couldn't think clearly, couldn't do any of the tasks that used to come so easily. I slowly realized that maybe something was wrong, but that was dismissed by indifferent medical personnel until it got so bad that I was taken to the hospital due to a stress breakdown. after I was diagnosed, it was some weird combination of relief and remorse -- I was glad that it wasn't "just me" or "all in my head" but also regretted that I hadn't pushed harder for assistance sooner.

it may be a cliche to hear "sometimes it gets worse before it gets better" but that was the case for me. I contacted a public health addiction services clinic after I made some bad decisions complicated by alcohol use / abuse and other maladaptive coping mechanisms. the people at the clinic were really helpful and I would've continued with that therapist, but there's a limit on the number of sessions, as there are so many people that need help and support.

I've been taking Wellbutrin for a few years and it's really helped me deal with the winter months, where the bottom drops out and my energy levels crash. before I was taking that, I functionally worked part time since I could barely drag myself out of bed for more than three or four days per week and was exhausted all the time. maybe if I had healthier habits all around I wouldn't need to take it (or perhaps a much lower dose), but during the winter, it's not a good idea to mess with it.

my psychiatrist had me try a few different meds based on what he thought might work. some did nothing and others were pretty bad. much like with diagnosis, it feels like a lot of the mental illness treatment is educated guesswork... throwing darts blindfolded until something finally hits the mark.

I haven't cut out drinking as of yet, although I have it more or less under control. part of my reluctance is a sunken cost fallacy, as I stocked up a home bar when I got curious about making cocktails during the pandemic... 🙄 the habits I still struggle with the most are avoidance (procrastination and isolation) and self-medicating (junk food, flopping after work to watch Netflix when my energy is low, and to a minor extent, drinking).

I'm certain replacing some of those less helpful coping mechanisms with healthier ones will make a big difference -- and I know from past experiences that it does. I just find it really hard to get started and stick with it consistently. winter months are always worse for me. even a small amount of progress on the things I struggle with goes a long way.

I don't believe that there is a "cure" for it that makes you "normal," as if anyone out there in the world is ever "normal," but I really do feel like it's a sort of like condition, that you can manage to the point where it doesn't really make any outward difference in your life. ... I really can only tell you what makes it worse, for me, and then maybe anyone reading this who battles depression can try to avoid those things:

this is very true. whatever insight or lessons I've learned came as a result of living through it. it took me a long time to accept that depression was (and is) a major factor / complication for me without feeling like it's inherently "my fault" or that acknowledging that is just me making excuses.

as @SpaceDock suggested, success is perhaps more of a function of perception than any concrete reality. there are lots of examples where people who are successful by various metrics -- personal accomplishment, career achievements, wealth, recognition, whatever -- still struggle with depression and in some case find that achieving all that and still feeling low can make it worse. success isn't really an endpoint or a destination in that regard.

I consider it a success that my life is significantly better now than it once was. my girlfriend and I have been together for a few years now. we have a sweet, crazy puppy that always makes us smile, even when she drives us up the walls. finding some measure of acceptance with my struggles and recognizing that it won't ever be fully sorted out does help, most of the time.

out of the books I've read on the subject, this one written by a therapist with depression was one of the only ones that I've found useful and with any meaningful insight into the condition. if you know someone who maybe wants to understand what the condition is like, this is an excellent descriptive memoir re: depression. (I tried to keep the rambling to a minimum -- hopefully someone finds this post helpful.)

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Been reading a lot of interesting results about Lion Diet and depression. Essentially an all Beef only diet. NOTHING else.
That sounds like the second unhealthiest diet possible, besides just eating only refined sugar. There are tons of vitamins not found in beef that your body cannot manufacture on its own.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BurningRome

Reaction score
That sounds like the second unhealthiest diet possible, besides just eating only refined sugar. There are tons of vitamins not found in beef that your body cannot manufacture on its own.
For sure, I stumbled on it a few weeks ago. Interesting statements being made by the Lion Diet founder. However there maybe some fair arguments being made that Meat isn't at all cause for cholesteral issues. I have no idea, but at this point, with the internet being the source of everything true and untrue, seems just as valid as a lot of other proposed diets at the moment.

Thanks internet lol

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
For sure, I stumbled on it a few weeks ago. Interesting statements being made by the Lion Diet founder. However there maybe some fair arguments being made that Meat isn't at all cause for cholesteral issues. I have no idea, but at this point, with the internet being the source of everything true and untrue, seems just as valid as a lot of other proposed diets at the moment.

Thanks internet lol

Interesting how this stuff gets proposed.

Well, diets overly high in protein tend to be really hard on the liver and kidneys. If your body is forced to metabolize protein, instead of fat or carbohydrate, it makes a ton of ammonia as a byproduct. If you eat fatty meats, then that tends not to be the case, and diets high in fat are not necessarily as dangerous as they used to be thought to be back in the 70's, but they are still not healthy.

I'd highly recommend being cautious about any fad diet, whether it's from the internet, or from viral videos or from a magazine or whatever. Most people know fuck all about nutrition, and lately there seems to be this crazy trend to disbelieve experts and scientists in favour of celebrities and attractive people with no proven background in anything.

fabronaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been reading a lot of interesting results about Lion Diet and depression. Essentially an all Beef only diet. NOTHING else.
as a rule of thumb, if a nutritional choice isn't being described with a generic adjective that you can't find in a dictionary (like idfk, vegetarian? pescetarian? even "Mediterranean"), it's best avoided. plus you referenced some "diet founder" and that's practically scam artist bingo right there.

there are a bunch of reasons why "dieting" isn't really recommended vs. moderation and eating well.
that doesn't mean we can't (or shouldn't) eat better. like depression treatment, it isn't a one size fits all situation, as what works for you might not work for me. there's a lot of information out there from credible sources, by which I mean actual medical doctors, journals, meta-studies / meta-analysis, etc. token advice: talk to a registered professional. we're just some blokes on the internet. :)

I wasn't aware of any of the psychological aspects of this stuff until it came up with a therapist I had with experience in helping people with eating disorders. she mentioned calorie counting is a very bad idea (not something I've actively engaged in -- I just mentioned it in passing once re: eating a pile of leftover Halloween candy in one sitting and counting wrappers), as is putting foods into "good" and "bad" categories.

there is a connection between better nutrition and an improvement in depressive symptoms (AKA the "gut-brain connection") -- but as @bostjan said, be very careful about going down this rabbit hole. dieting isn't a ~$70 billion / year business because of its efficacy. quite the opposite, really.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Isn't that the diet that was being pushed by J Peterson and his family just before he suffered a bunch of awful health problems and then fled the country so he could get some not-approved-in-the-US treatment for things or some nonsense like that?

I don't think these should be the types you follow for health advice.

Eating better is great for you. Wacky diets come with consequences.

Reaction score
...some one has an agenda on selling beef behind the curtains... or hasn't heard the "eat your vegies" at a young age... A whole food, vegetable rich diet is the best one can do for either one's health and the planet's. Going Vegan is the way, but most aren't ready yet, which is a shame on us, humans, for our food lust...

... and only beef diet is, as @bostjan said, probably the worst diet ever... this is a true story: https://plantbasednews.org/news/heavy-meat-eater-chef-carl-ruiz-dies-heart-attack/

Vegies relief our mental health, they stabilize our body systems on all aspects, more so if eaten in a balanced way.

... and it all changes when one learns how to cook one's meals from whole foods, not from pre-packed ones or overly processed. Industrial junk food is the worst for one's mental and physical health, close followed by that meat only diet...

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Therapy, willingness to be more open with the people I love (this is really where therapy helped me), and cutting back on recreational drug pulled me out of the hole. It was a slow a process and I can't point to the moment where I started to feel things again, but I know there were a lot of mornings where I kept telling myself "your life is good, you're just too stupid to realize how good it actually is."

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
I've been taking sertraline (zoloft) for about 2 years, with mild effects but at least almost 0 side effects ( just some eye dryness).

Never been alcoholic and I pretty much eat healty and exercise everyday, but I have the classic symptoms of depression that come and disappear in a periodic trend.

EvilAsh

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone experiences it the same, but I have recurrent depression, and in my experience it is a cycle, one that I endlessly repeat over and over, making similar mistakes everytime. But, I also think I learn about myself each time I have an episode, and each time I make a little progress. But there’s no magic bullet, it’s something you need to learn to accept and live with, and forgive yourself too.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can tell you this. I have been depressive on and off for the last 15 years if i recall correctly. Diagnosed 10 years ago. Had a clean spell for about 5 years. Then my girlfriend suffered from severe, severe depression, almost ending her life. I relapsed about 1 year ago, when I left her. She was in a very good place, studying social work and social economics. So the past year I tried to figure out what was wrong with me. 10 years ago it was rather easy, I was a crippling cocaine addict and drank too much.
Now it is different. I actually had to feel into my inner me and listen for a change. And that is something I had to learn.

I have been in therapy for about 5 years, 2 years pretty consisent, lucky enough to figure that the first therapist i consulted, was the right fit for me. And as it has already been mentioned in this thread, I did not accept who I was, nor what I stood for.
I stopped drinking about 7 years ago. Where I live, that is blasphemy. I started Jiu Jitsu 1 year ago. I have done Judo and Wrestling as a kid and enjoyed that, but was scared to go, because those kids were much bigger than I was and I was overweight.

Short things short. Jiu Jitsu humbled me in a way, I never thought possible. It grounded me and helped me lose weight, have more confidence so on and so forth. But without therapy it's a tussle. Therapy helps and it is an investment in yourself.

TheDandy

Reaction score
I tried a whole bunch of stuff before finding something that moderately worked. 10 different antidepressants, talk therapy, TMS, ketamine all did little to nothing for me. I eventually said "fuck it" and decided to try psilocybin and it's helped me get as close to happiness as I can ever remember being. Still definitely not fully a success story just yet, but it's at least a step

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Free Life Pro Tip:
If you find yourself constantly at odds with "naysayers", or "h8ers", or whatever else, you have to step back and ask if you might be the common denominator.

In 90% of the times where I've found myself to be getting a lot of pushback from groups of people all at the same time, in retrospect, it turned out that I was just poorly receiving very valid feedback - sometimes from people who were "on my side" so to speak. If you receive all feedback as antagonistic - in other words if you react to every difference of opinion or point of feedback by calling them naysayers - then you're shooting yourself in the foot. You'll be running from, and arguing against, these "naysayers" forever.

Being able to take in feedback in a constructive and positive way is a skill - and it needs to be practiced like anything else - otherwise you lose it.

I usually find that scenario very, very rare. Nowadays people mostly travel at two different speeds: hate/trolling or too afraid to say anything to not offend anyone. The former is rarely useful, and the later is just useless. This in turn has made the feedback a lot harder to handle for the receiver.

A friend of mine is going through very, very harsh times and I admit I can't do anything but listen and be around (since any advice is usually ignored).

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I tried a whole bunch of stuff before finding something that moderately worked. 10 different antidepressants, talk therapy, TMS, ketamine all did little to nothing for me. I eventually said "fuck it" and decided to try psilocybin and it's helped me get as close to happiness as I can ever remember being. Still definitely not fully a success story just yet, but it's at least a step
Yeah, I was at my wits end like 6 years ago and mushies helped.

I'm by no means any success story and I didn't even have a good trip (I don't believe in bad ones, just very tough & necessary ones) but there was a noticeable change to the right direction in me afterwards, which reminds me I need another trip again soon.

TheDandy

Reaction score
Yeah, I was at my wits end like 6 years ago and mushies helped.

I'm by no means any success story and I didn't even have a good trip (I don't believe in bad ones, just very tough & necessary ones) but there was a noticeable change to the right direction in me afterwards, which reminds me I need another trip again soon.
Exactly how it went for me as well. Let out a ton of emotion towards the end in a way that felt awful at the time, but in retrospect was pretty cathartic. I've started microdosing to see if I can sustain the benefit

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I usually find that scenario very, very rare
Those situations are not rare at all, and that was exactly my point. Many people get it into their head that any pushback must be from "trolls" and "haters" and "people who just don't understand" and refuse to recognize the help for what it is. There's a vast difference between internet trolls and the way that people try to communicate with someone like Veji (the original user that comment was pointed at). There was (and still is at times) a pattern of new threads being opened asking for advice, some great advice being given, a flat refusal to accept the advice in the name of calling everyone trolls, then it devolves into actual trolling, then the thread gets locked, it's quiet for a few weeks, then a new post pops up asking for almost exactly the same advice again - and the cycle continues.

And the same thing happens in real life when people find themselves in compromising situations. I have a family member who is struggling in life in a lot of ways, and the family is constantly trying to help him - but he receives the advice as if it's an attack:
"You can't stack all of this stuff into a shed all plugged into the same extension cable, you're going to start a fire." -> "F you man, you just don't want me to be comfortable."
"You should be careful about how you're spending your money given how much assistance everyone else is paying for right now, like there's food here, you don't have to sneak out to buy McDs every day." -> "How dare you tell me how to spend my money?"
"You don't need to give the lawyer your life story with all this flowery language, they just want a basic timeline of the things that are relevant." -> "But I have to convince them I'm a good guy!" -> "No, you need to provide them the history they need so they can do their job." -> "But I have to tell my story." -> "No, you need to comply with the lawyer, and quickly". -> "This is my problem, I'm doing it my way."

If anything you proved my point:
any advice is usually ignored
I maintain that taking in feedback is a social skill that needs to be learned and then exercised.