Diablo IV

wankerness

Reaction score
If D4 keeps rifts and Greater rifts as the end-game, I hope they steal the idea of having Rift modifiers. Things like increase drops but also increase enemy Cold damage, add extra packs etc. I know Path of Exile goes bonkers with this, but I think Torchlight 2 also had this.

I would certainly assume they would, considering they implemented those with WoW (on the higher mythic+ difficulties). Borderlands 3 also goes nuts with those, to a stupid point. Like, you get ~20 of them at a time randomly drawn and you can just keep turning it off and on until you get a combination that you like.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crundles

Reaction score
New footage - some sort of world boss:

Notable fact - when the legendary item drops, and the dude browses through the drops, the item stats are ... Attack and Defense.

Yeah

Lindmann

SS.org Rectangular
Reaction score
Completely unrelated to Diablo but this last video reminded me of why I never play games online.

There's so much that just kills the immersion of a game.
Like the guys doing these silly spin moves in the beginning.

And then the names above each player.
Bad enough that the names show up in the first place but characters beeing named "Wirt01" and "Wirt69" and other foolish names players usually come up with is just killing the atmosphere for me.
And why do all the damage numbers any player has caused pop up each time?
I see this in so many different games that are beeing played online.

So in general, is online gaming so much more focussing on interactions with other players and is actual athmosphere so irrelevant there?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
And then the names above each player.
Bad enough that the names show up in the first place but characters beeing named "Wirt01" and "Wirt69" and other foolish names players usually come up with is just killing the atmosphere for me.
And why do all the damage numbers any player has caused pop up each time?
I see this in so many different games that are beeing played online.
I'm not sure about DIV, but in DIII this stuff is configurable, you can turn it on and off in the menu.

Personally, I leave it on - in multiplayer games it's nice to be able to see who's who, and solo it's a non-issue. And the damage numbers themselves aren't super-useful, but critical hits are bright yellow so it's a visual cue how frequently you're crit hitting, and while you can see your base damage easily enough looking at your profile, it's good to have some sort of idea how much real-world damage you're doing - base assumes you're just slashing at people with your weapon, but if you're using an attack that does say 750% weapon damage, it's going to be 7.5x higher than that. Yes, you could technically calc this out yourself, but it all compounds pretty quickly - if your sheet damage is 750k but you're using a fire-based attack that does 750% weapon damage, have items that cumulatively do 30% additional fire damage, an item lets one particular attack do 17% additional damage, and another particular spell 22% additional damage, and one of your spells lets you do 2,500% weapon damage for a period of time, then it gets awfully hard to figure out what's going on at any particular point in time. I could get the appeal of maybe leaving this stuff on while trying to get a feel for a new build but then shutting it off once you do, but it IS fairly helpful, and you tune it out easily enough once you get going.

Necky379

Reaction score
Personally I think an obnoxious and dated name should be required. I’m way too excited for a new darker Diablo installment, maybe I’ll be playing with some of you when it comes out. I’ll be the guy running around with xXThuggedoutXx or Diaballz69 or TitanTitzz or WeinerPunchin or 666DipSpit999 above my head if you want to “give me free” or something.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Personally I think an obnoxious and dated name should be required. I’m way too excited for a new darker Diablo installment, maybe I’ll be playing with some of you when it comes out. I’ll be the guy running around with xXThuggedoutXx or Diaballz69 or TitanTitzz or WeinerPunchin or 666DipSpit999 above my head if you want to “give me free” or something.
I do miss the ability to clone items by dropping them and then picking them up the same time as I grabbed a stack of gold from my inventory. It made affording things and leveling up on spells a whole lot easier. :lol:

Necky379

Reaction score
I hacked an open character in d2 recently just to do it. Making items that way was very enjoyable when I was younger. It became a quiet competition with my friends I’d play with. I wish I still had those old accounts, some of the items floating around on open back in the day were pretty impressive. The white armor and those (may not be remembering the name accurately) white Osiris Grandfather swords don’t appear to be around anymore.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I hacked an open character in d2 recently just to do it. Making items that way was very enjoyable when I was younger. It became a quiet competition with my friends I’d play with. I wish I still had those old accounts, some of the items floating around on open back in the day were pretty impressive. The white armor and those (may not be remembering the name accurately) white Osiris Grandfather swords don’t appear to be around anymore.
This was aeons ago for me, but I remember the first time I played online was pretty much a game changer for me since people just gave me some ridiculously pimped out gear since there was really no cost to it. I remember some sort of armor of the Whale, maybe...? When I next played a solo game I felt like I was steamrolling everything. :lol:

Necky379

Reaction score
There was some 4 socketed ancient armor of the whale. I think some form of it was in D1 also.

Necky379

Reaction score
So I logged on yesterday to keep my account active and do a little desert slaughtering in act 2. I was kind of hoping the announcement would bring some people back to D2 but there’s still not too many people on there. Is everyone playing a mod or something? Path of Diablo I’ve heard of. Maybe I’m not missing anything just curious if there’s more people to play with elsewhere. I never got into mods and don’t really understand how they work but I’ll figure it out if there’s a bigger crowd on PoD or another mod.

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
There are a couple of successful mods out there. One doing the full-HD Diablo 2 thing and one modding the shit out of the game (new content/classes/skills etc.) Median XL and Path of Diablo. Also there is Plugy for just quality of life improvements.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So I logged on yesterday to keep my account active and do a little desert slaughtering in act 2. I was kind of hoping the announcement would bring some people back to D2 but there’s still not too many people on there. Is everyone playing a mod or something? Path of Diablo I’ve heard of. Maybe I’m not missing anything just curious if there’s more people to play with elsewhere. I never got into mods and don’t really understand how they work but I’ll figure it out if there’s a bigger crowd on PoD or another mod.
Could also be Season 19? IIRC this is the last season and it started the 22nd so maybe people are mostly playing seasonal characters.

gnoll

Reaction score
I guess it's fun with a new Diablo game coming out, and I'll probably try it when it's released. But I can't have any sort of huge expectations on it.

I played Diablo II a lot when I was younger. Like a little bit too much. It was so much fun for me that I don't think anything could touch it, ever. There was so much depth to it, so much to find out, to understand, and so much to do in the game. Modern games seem too surface-level somehow. Like they hold your hand too much, and tell you how you're supposed to play the game.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I guess it's fun with a new Diablo game coming out, and I'll probably try it when it's released. But I can't have any sort of huge expectations on it.

I played Diablo II a lot when I was younger. Like a little bit too much. It was so much fun for me that I don't think anything could touch it, ever. There was so much depth to it, so much to find out, to understand, and so much to do in the game. Modern games seem too surface-level somehow. Like they hold your hand too much, and tell you how you're supposed to play the game.

Play Grim Dawn and Path of Exile.

gnoll

Reaction score
Play Grim Dawn and Path of Exile.

I was totally going to play PoE, and was excited for it, but around that time I ended up just kinda phasing out of playing games. Now I don't really want to get that deep into a game tbh, haha. It takes too much time away from stuff like music.

Crundles

Reaction score
I'm playing Path of Exile now, started at the very end of Blight and continued into Metamorph, following a physical Skeletons necro. A relatively expensive unique item just dropped (Cospri's malice) so I'm trying to figure out a build to use it in.

PoE sure is a thing

~100 hours in, I now have a basic idea of what items are decent for my build, absolutely no idea what items are good and/or expensive in general. Elder armours, Shaper amulets, conqueror boots and gloves with unique item stats, sitting in a tab in my stash; are they worth 1 chaos orb each? Are they absolute garbage? Are they a king's ransom? WHO THE F KNOWS

For real, Path of Exile has an incredible amount of content (since every 3 months there is a new league, like seasons in D3, but it brings entirely new mechanics - last one had tower defense minigames, this one has a Build-A-Boss type thing where you scavenge organs from enemies and combine them to make a mega-boss), ok-ish base gameplay (the "hit monster, monster go blargh" part of gameplay), and laughably pathetic technical graphics, artstyle and world-building.

Contrary to what I heard everywhere online, It's not difficult - it's complex. Unfortunately, I feel a good portion of this complexity is feature bloat. Difficulty is not the same as complexity; nor is all complexity created equal. Also I don't like how important trading is, especially considering how trading in games necessarily distorts item drop rates to compensate for the potentially global reach of every item.

On the other hand I'm 100 hours in, and I'm still hooked to see what else there is to do. I've faced the new End boss a few times (failed all attempts, because the fight is not very well designed) but there're still the old 2 end bosses, their guardians, some of the optional end-game content, and deep Delving (a randomly generated endless mine-dungeon thing).

TLDR, I hope Diablo 4 has similar amounts of content, without taking any specific mechanics (or Slayer help us full player trading, especially without any in-game auction house)

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Anyone get the game yet?

I keep hearing about too many glitches were people lose gear and stuff for me to purchase it.