Did The Jackson Custom Shop Botch My Order?

• Thread starter ThomasUV777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I feel like we're hijacking the thread since it's about one specific custom shop order, so I wonder if a mod could break these questions out into a separate thread?

The problem with Jackson's dealer locator is that every single dealership around here is listed as a 'Custom Shop Dealer', but this includes stores which I've never even seen a Jackson in, let alone a USA one - I'm thinking that just because a store has the ability to put custom shop orders in, doesn't necessarily mean they know what they're doing. I don't think any shop anywhere close to me would know the difference between a USA Select, a Custom Select or a full blown custom shop order. It's why the question is more, what's Europe's Matt's Music, so to speak. What's a dealer who knows what they're doing and does it often enough to know.

I put in an Ibanez j.custom order through the Ibanez Demonstration Store rep here, and it was very obvious they didn't know what they were doing because I had to explain to the guy what a j.custom guitar was and where to find it in the inventory of the regional distributor. I dare not even contemplate how they'd handle a Jackson custom shop order.

That's the point of my previous few posts.

Not all dealers are experienced with putting together CS orders.

The onus is on the customer to choose a dealer. Jackson can't legally persuade to or from a particular dealer.

To clarify, I said to contact Jackson for a current list of authorized dealers. It's far more up to date than the rudimentary locator on their website. Then contact them individually to assess.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ikarus

Reaction score
Why must it be a european dealer? Just go with one, that has a good reputation like Matt's music. Yeah it will be a bit more expensive because you have to import it, but if they get the guitar right in the first place its worth it imho...

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
Why must it be a european dealer? Just go with one, that has a good reputation like Matt's music. Yeah it will be a bit more expensive because you have to import it, but if they get the guitar right in the first place its worth it imho...
I believe import taxes and additional shipping would be really ridiculus, like 1k EUR extra.

ikarus

Reaction score
But these costs are also factored in when you buy from a european dealer, so it will be more expensive here anyway. Shipping is around 100€ and here in Austria I have to pay 23% on top (tax, customs, etc) when I import a guitar from outside the EU.

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
I believe import taxes and additional shipping would be really ridiculus, like 1k EUR extra.

Plus, coming back to the theme of the thread, what if the Custom shop botches my order? I'd have to ship it all the way back to America instead of noticing it at the shop and having a conversation with the staff there.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plus, coming back to the theme of the thread, what if the Custom shop botches my order? I'd have to ship it all the way back to America instead of noticing it at the shop and having a conversation with the staff there.

A good dealer won't let that happen. It's in their best interest as a charge back would leave them on the hook anyhow.

Matt's is a very good dealer.

The theme here is that if you want an exceptional product, you're going to have to put in a certain amount of work and be willing to pay a certain price. Nickel and dime'ing and rushing yourself here is to your detriment.

Jamey36

Reaction score
If that guitar had been ordered through Matts or someone else as familiar with the jackson custom Shop,you would not have to send it back to them.It most likely would never have made it to the customer to begin with.They would have notified the customer of the way it looked(accompanied by many pics)and asked if they would like to accept or reject it!

arasys

needs more RRs
Reaction score
I received my "dream" Jackson through Matt's Music, and despite Matt's Music being the best dealer; Jackson's communication was very sparse and somewhat weird.
I keep remembering one question they asked:"hey there, what if we put a tune-o-matic bridge and along with single string hardtail bridge (like Broderick's signature) on your guitar?"
I was like "haah?" :lol:

Matt's Music is the only place I would trust with a complicated Jackson Custom Shop order here in US, and they will answer all your questions. If I were you, I would check Thomann since they are probably the most reputable in EU. I remember putting a concept picture at the end of my form to really show them what I was looking for to ensure nothing would go wrong. Reputable dealers are definitely a must if you want to minimize the stress during the process.

Although I wasn't informed before guitar's arrival, my guitar came with two tiny issues: there's a slight problem on the 15th fret as if the luthier decided to scallop it but then stopped immediately(?). Luckily I don't feel any difference (funny because I was just thinking about this very issue before seeing this thread). My guitar was chipped on the back of the headstock, which was fixed before it was sent to me, and honestly it's almost invisible smaller than 0.5 mm.
After waiting nearly 2 years I decided to accept it the way it is, because these two issues are almost invisible for me and guitar plays and sounds the best I've ever had (except maybe for my Les Paul).

Personally, I love Jackson guitars, so I am carefully picking my words here: Unless you are going to order it through a very reputable place, I would not take the risk. Had I ordered something other than a RR, I would've paid extra and ordered from another brand. It feels like Jackson USA team is very understaffed, and they are pushing too many orders.

And for OP's trans black-purple top, that flame maple looks worse than yamaha pacifica tops..

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of money and hassle for a guitar. Surely, your needs can't be radically different from a stock model available that you can mod out a bit? I dunno - maybe it is the thrill of the chase.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of money and hassle for a guitar. Surely, your needs can't be radically different from a stock model available that you can mod out a bit? I dunno - maybe it is the thrill of the chase.

It's definitely about "the chase" and other esoteric things.

There is maybe a handful of guitarists in the whole world who genuinely "need" something not on offer in 2020.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, probably isn't ready for this journey.

Jamey36

Reaction score

Somewhat for sure.For me it was simply finally being able to order my own custom Jackson that my poorer younger self always lusted after!

mbardu

Reaction score
there's a slight problem on the 15th fret as if the luthier decided to scallop it but then stopped immediately(?)

LOL I'm sorry but hwat now :lol:?

Jackson is still at the forefront of custom shop innovation it seems. After the unique "one less random fret" guitar....introducing the "one random bit of partially scalloped fretboard" special. Smh seriously...

I mean I appreciate them giving jobs to the less fortunate among us, but building and qc-ing 5k custom shop guitars is arguably a job better suited for people who haven't lost their eyesight and have been declared legally blind...

Last edited:

kisielk

Reaction score
LOL I'm sorry but hwat now :lol:?

Jackson is still at the forefront of custom shop innovation it seems. After the unique "one less random fret" guitar....introducing the "one random bit of partially scalloped fretboard" special. Smh seriously...

I mean I appreciate them giving jobs to the less fortunate among us, but building and qc-ing 5k custom shop guitars is arguably a job better suited for people who haven't lost their eyesight and have been declared legally blind...
I really like to be able to dig into that high G, in particular.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
I got message back from Thomann. They do take Jackson custom shop orders. You fill guitar spec pdf, send it to Thomann and they will forward it to Jackson Guitars and then reply with final price and delivery date.
It is important to notice that 30 day money back quaranty is void in this case.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
Maybe import taxes will be 1K EUR extra, but my experience is that the prices from a USA dealer is probably 1K EUR lower before import taxes.
No harm in trying this option as well. I'll probably get estimate from both and just compare what option works best for me.

Jamey36

Reaction score
It's a dream that many of us will never be able to afford or even justify.

Lucky bastards!

That was how I saw it as well in my 20's and 30's.But now days at weeks shy of 50 it's only a dream if that's all I want it to be.Age will change your finances and your perspectives!

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

Yeah. It's mostly about the chase. My CS was fairly "standard" with specs save for wood choice and a reverse headstock, and it has a boring all black paint. But it was nice getting that CS Jackson finally that I have dreamt since I was 15 when I watched Jeff Hanneman with his Soloist.

Sort of the same with people going for R9 or NOS CS Gibson Les Pauls when they can get the same-ish specs with standard issue Gibsons.