Digital rig + Bass power amp question

• Thread starter Bentaycanada
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
With all my digital rigs I've owned, be it POD - Helix - Axe Fx - Kemper, I've always preferred SS power amps to tubes.

I have a Mosvalve 500 and ART SLA-1. There's not a ton of tonal difference between them. So that got me wondering, has anyone tried out these lightweight bass amps as strictly a power section?

Several of them high wattage ratings 400-500w, so presumably they have decent headroom, right? They are also around the same size as the Orange Pedal Baby or Fryette PS, which is very attractive in a non-rackmount sense.

Something like this: https://traynoramps.com/product/sb500h/

Is it worth trying out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
It didn’t not work out very well. It lacked the body and dynamics that I got with the Mosvalve. There was no competition.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Those class D amps are extremely flat, so no surprise there, I believe the mosvalve is supposed to be quite ‘tube like’ for a SS amp. I’ve always wanted to pick one up but never seen one for sale at a reasonable price in the U.K.