DiMarzio Illuminators?

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
Maybe, but these pickups seem a little bit bassy to me. I'll try them in my RG2027x to shed light on this issue :hbang:

Please do. What are your thoughts on d sonic vs crunch lab vs illuminator for a mahogany rg7 (bear in mind this one has a maple top)

Art

Reaction score
Please do. What are your thoughts on d sonic vs crunch lab vs illuminator for a mahogany rg7 (bear in mind this one has a maple top)

I think that all of them would work well in that guitar but I prefer CL or Illuminator over the DS. The CL has a punchier sound than the Illuminator. It's more aggressive, but more compressed too. The Illuminator sounds more open and a little bit darker. For rhythm guitar I would choose the CL. For lead and clean sounds, the Illuminator would be my pickup.

serch777

Reaction score
Would people recommend these pickups for bands with only one guitar? Petrucci said they help his tone sound fatter in the mix.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^I'd expect pickups would be the last thing I'd consider in filling out the guitar part of the EQ in a one guitar setup. Cabs and live sound management are infinitely more important, along with the music your band are actually playing.

To answer your question on your terms, JP is a lonely guitarist in his band. Further to that he's used 4 very different pickups over the years and hasn't had trouble yet, so you can at least say any of those four won't at least be detrimental to your cause.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Just got a set of these for a Jackson I own.. I'm curious to get them in. It's a mahogany body, so I'm a little skeptical. Didn't care for the CF/LF nearly as much in an Ibanez I have with a mahogany body compared to my JPX.

Either way, I'm sure I'll like them, but I'm really digging the EMGs in the Jackson at the moment. I usually don't care for EMGs..

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
I think that all of them would work well in that guitar but I prefer CL or Illuminator over the DS. The CL has a punchier sound than the Illuminator. It's more aggressive, but more compressed too. The Illuminator sounds more open and a little bit darker. For rhythm guitar I would choose the CL. For lead and clean sounds, the Illuminator would be my pickup.

Art, thank you so much. So let's say in your K7, you find the illuminators darker than the crunchlab? Because I'm looking for the brightest of the family so to speak. By the way, your playing and writing were great a few years ago but now are on a totally different level :hbang:

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Bumptastic. Anybody have any new post-honeymoon thoughts on these? I've yet to try even the Crunch Lab and I'm going to be throwing one or the other in my RGD eventually. The videos are helpful, but I've been spoiled by Mr. Merrow's excellent comparisons.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
I am really into them - I put them in a BFR JP that had the old D-Sonic/JP Custom combo, and I've also played them against the Crunch Lab/LiquiFire. So far, the Illuminators are definitely my favourite of his signature sets. To my ears, the bridge is rounder than the Crunch Lab was, and the neck isn't nearly as brittle as I found the LiquiFire to be.

Overall, I'd say they're darker and have less cut than his other sets, and a little more of a classic rock vibe - which corresponds I suppose a little to the direction Dream Theater is going. I'd definitely recommend giving them a go.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
The SD Hot Rails is still one of my favorite passives, it just had SO much "character" that it wasn't terribly versatile. The Illuminators seem like they'd have a good bit in common with the 'Rails and since I won't have a tone on the RGD I'm a little worried about getting into a similar situation. Still on the fence between the Crunch Lab and these.

lukeshallperish

Total Gear Slut
Reaction score
sorry for a bit of a necrobump, but I just ordered an illuminator for my 1527. should be here sometime this week and I'll throw up a clip if anyone is interested.

PBGas

Reaction score
Enjoy! Should sound very good in a basswood guitar! I swapped out the crunch lab for an illuminator in my JP12 7 and it sounds beautiful in there. Good luck with the swap!

Purelojik

Reaction score
here's my clip. I bought these on a whim just because i've tried the Dominions and Titans and loved them each in their own right. These are pretty great too. Super responsive and just fat enough.

its in a mahog chambered LP with maple cap. 25.5 scale length, ebony fb and maple neck.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/shehatesmytie/dimarzio-illuminator-test-1[/SC]

first is full mix, then just drums and guitar then just guitar
No eq except high and low pass

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
here's my clip. I bought these on a whim just because i've tried the Dominions and Titans and loved them each in their own right. These are pretty great too. Super responsive and just fat enough.

its in a mahog chambered LP with maple cap. 25.5 scale length, ebony fb and maple neck.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/shehatesmytie/dimarzio-illuminator-test-1[/SC]

first is full mix, then just drums and guitar then just guitar
No eq except high and low pass

that was sick :hbang: what amp were you using? OD/boost?
would you be able to post a review of your experiences with each pickup (Dominon, Titan, Illuminator)?

Purelojik

Reaction score
that was sick :hbang: what amp were you using? OD/boost?
would you be able to post a review of your experiences with each pickup (Dominon, Titan, Illuminator)?

I use a POD HD PRO using the Fball with a screamer and noise gate before. screamer is set with output at 100 and drive 0. i deactivated the EQ blocks after the amp stage. i have the bias on the amp set low around 20-30. if you'd like the patch lemme know, but good chance its gonna sound different for everyone. no comp or anything.

glad you liked it. Im waiting for the Guitar i just built with Titans to be set up and for a new set of dominions because my best friend bought my last guitar with them in it because he really loved that guitar. Made me really happy.

i'll do similar clips once those guitars are done.