"Diminished" discussion

• Thread starter bob123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
I was always taught a "diminished" note is simply a note moved flat in a scale.

I was informed today, that a "diminished" note is a flat-flat (whole step down, not a half step).

My beef is that a "diminished chord" is a minor chord with a flat 5th, not a whole step down. I.e., Cdim = C-Eb-Gb, whereas by a "Traditional definition" a "diminished chord" would then become C - Eb- F, no?

If someone can chime in and explain this, Id appreciate it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djyngwie

Reaction score
Diminished (when speaking of intervals) is basically the term used when an interval that is already minor (or perfect) is lowered a semitone.

The double flat will happen if the minor or perfect interval already has a flat in it. For instance, an Eb minor chord contains the notes Eb (tonic), G (minor third) and and Bb (perfect fifth). To get a diminshed chord you lower the fifth to get a diminished fifth. But since the perfect fifth, Bb, is already flat, the correct note in the diminished chord would be a double flat: Bbb (enharmonic to A, but Bbb is the correct theoretical note name).

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
A diminished chord is 2 consecutive minor thirds, and contains a diminished 5th (this is likely the reason for calling it a diminished chord). 5ths and 4ths are perfect intervals therefore there is only augmented, diminished, and the perfect interval.

So it is as djyngwie said, a minor or perfect interval lowered a semitone. A diminished interval is very much a contextual thing, much like say, an augmented 6th chord (which is harmonically contains a minor 7th), but the reasolution defines the previous interval (these are sometimes referred to as 'an embellishment of the octave'. Meaning they resolve outwards (the 6+ and root of the chord expand to create an octave, how depends on the inversion).

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Holy cow Im glad I asked this, you guys explained it so well. So I WASNT "incorrect" in my thinking, I was incorrect in context. Thanks for explaining this to me :)

MeriTone Music

Reaction score
I was always taught a "diminished" note is simply a note moved flat in a scale.

I was informed today, that a "diminished" note is a flat-flat (whole step down, not a half step).

My beef is that a "diminished chord" is a minor chord with a flat 5th, not a whole step down. I.e., Cdim = C-Eb-Gb, whereas by a "Traditional definition" a "diminished chord" would then become C - Eb- F, no?

If someone can chime in and explain this, Id appreciate it.

It only takes 1/2 a step to 'diminish' a perfect 5th. However, it does take two 1/2 steps to create a diminished 7th! First it'd go from natural 7th to minor 7th, then from minor 7th to diminished 7th.

diminished triad = 1 b3 b5

diminished 7th chord = 1 b3 b5 bb7

Hope that helps :wavey:

bondmorkret

Reaction score
Might have already been mentioned, but the diminished scale is made up of adjacent dim7 chords/arpeggios a semitone apart. Really cool scale!

27duuude

Picky about tone
Reaction score
Major, minor, perfect, augmented, and diminished are all the types of intervals.

4,5 and 8 are perfect intervals that can be diminished or augmented with a half-step

2, 3, 6, and 7 are intervals that will either be major or minor depending on the scale.

Depending on whether they are major or minor determines the distance between their diminished or augmented versions.

A major interval will have to be raised 1/2 step to reach its augmented version, down 1/2 step to reach its minor version and down 1 whole step to reach its diminished version. I'm sure you can infer the rules for minor intervals.

Reaction score
Diminished (when speaking of intervals) is basically the term used when an interval that is already minor (or perfect) is lowered a semitone.

The double flat will happen if the minor or perfect interval already has a flat in it. For instance, an Eb minor chord contains the notes Eb (tonic), G (minor third) and and Bb (perfect fifth). To get a diminshed chord you lower the fifth to get a diminished fifth. But since the perfect fifth, Bb, is already flat, the correct note in the diminished chord would be a double flat: Bbb (enharmonic to A, but Bbb is the correct theoretical note name).

The minor triad is actually Eb Gb Bb, with the diminished being Eb Gb Bbb