Dino leaves Ibanez for Ormsby

• Thread starter SDMFVan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I believe it was related to contractual issues brought about by other litigation. Dino's had a rough few years financially, amongst other things.

I think this move is for the best. It's good to keep things fresh.

I know one of them is the big Fear Factory suit about who owns the name etc.
I'm not sure about the suit surrounding the signature model, that one just seems odd to me.

I was just curious because on his FB, he said:

Unfortunately in late 2017 my guitar was discontinued for legal reasons beyond all of our control.

nsimonsen

Reaction score
Well yeah, that's what seems so odd to me.
The DCM100 is an RGD with a locking trem, single pickup and reverse headstock.
What could possibly cause an issue with that, yet they still produce the RGD7UCS and the RGD3127?

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
All the companies that Dino and Burton work with were named in the fear factory suit.

They were all cleared, but it left a bad taste in the mouth of hoshino and they dropped the sig.

Makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. Like Max said, a fresh start seems in order.

EDIT: I did appreciate his personal show of thanks to the folks at Ibby he worked with. The ERG scene has changed quite a bit since he started using 7’s, maybe it’ll be a better fit this time around.

Still glad I scored my DCM though (factory second or not). To think I was ready to sell and/or permanently modify it! :)

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
All the companies that Dino and Burton work with were named in the fear factory suit.

They were all cleared, but it left a bad taste in the mouth of hoshino and they dropped the sig.

Oh damn, that explains it, and probably why Dino was ready to move on from another company if Ibanez just dropped him like that.

Shask

Reaction score
Heck, I remember when he went to Ibanez from ESP, and I thought that was crazy, lol. Sounds like it was the right move after the legal issues. Even the Ormsby website just says "Dino Cazares", and doesn't list a band like all of the other artists.

Either way, hopefully this will bring some new Dino music! Always been a huge fan!

MickD7

Reaction score
Im down with that. While Ibanez do give him LACS pieces, he hasnt been getting the sig treatment and exposure he deserves like the other artists in their lineup.

This ^ Ibanez now have a mass of #swag yolo guitarist on their artist roster that will be done and dusted or OD’ing within the next 2 years.

They have pushed a lot of their big hitters down the rung in terms of pride of place on their signature artist position on the site.

nsimonsen

Reaction score
This ^ Ibanez now have a mass of #swag yolo guitarist on their artist roster that will be done and dusted or OD’ing within the next 2 years.

They have pushed a lot of their big hitters down the rung in terms of pride of place on their signature artist position on the site.

I've gotta disagree here. I applaud Ibanez for being forward thinking getting behind a lot of the players that are shaping guitar driven music nowadays, especially Chon, Periphery, Protest The Hero and the like. Rather than clinging to their legacy artists in the same vein Gibson has done (Slash). They're obviously focused on the modern guitarist and continuing their legacy.

Dino was certainly a big hitter in the peak of Fear Factory and even when Divine Heresy was a thing, but I certainly wouldn't think of him in that light nowadays. Especially with Fear Factory dead to rights.

Djentlyman

Reaction score
Off topic, so maybe someone or some people can DM me but what’s with all this Ormsby hatred? I noticed it in the Tosin thread too.

Dayn

Reaction score
I wonder if some of it is people not bothering to seek a proper resolution for the issues. Goods sold in Australia are sold with mandatory warranties. If the product isn't as advertised, eg flaws that shouldn't be there, you're fully entitled to have the issue fixed, or if it can't, to get a refund. You just need to quote the Australian Consumer Law if the seller doesn't comply, then complain to the ACCC which will slap them with hefty fines. With such warranties that allow you to get your problems sorted, if I was in Ormsby's position, I'd be pissed too if people complained about the product publicly without bothering to have the issues resolved. I think that's a rule in the Facebook group, and I certainly agree with it. I've seen many examples of these complaints where Ormsby performs their duty to resolve the issues.

That being said, I don't necessarily condone any specific behaviour. I've heard some things about what he's said that give me pause, for sure. But on the review side of things, I'd take it with a grain of salt, considering there's an avenue to sort things out.

MickD7

Reaction score
I've gotta disagree here. I applaud Ibanez for being forward thinking getting behind a lot of the players that are shaping guitar driven music nowadays, especially Chon, Periphery, Protest The Hero and the like. Rather than clinging to their legacy artists in the same vein Gibson has done (Slash). They're obviously focused on the modern guitarist and continuing their legacy.

Dino was certainly a big hitter in the peak of Fear Factory and even when Divine Heresy was a thing, but I certainly wouldn't think of him in that light nowadays. Especially with Fear Factory dead to rights.

I’m going to try and not be old man yells at cloud here

I have no gripe with Periphery/Chon and PTH you have to appeal to a new wave audience of talent, personality, market appeal and a command of their craft and those are some good musicians to do that with, as well as Nita

You do have to honour your roots and stick to your guns with guys like Vai/Satch/Gilbert/Benson/Methany and Schofield those are some hue and iconic names

But pick Polyphia up and throw them in the bin, garbage live band full of garbage people that treated their fan base in my hometown in a pretty shit manner. Just a bunch of Gucci wearing pricks with a trust fund that turned into a mess of inconsistency the moment they hit the stage

nsimonsen

Reaction score
But pick Polyphia up and throw them in the bin, garbage live band full of garbage people that treated their fan base in my hometown in a pretty shit manner. Just a bunch of Gucci wearing pricks with a trust fund that turned into a mess of inconsistency the moment they hit the stage

Sounds more like a personal beef with Polyphia instead of an issue with the Ibanez artist roster bringing in new and exciting blood.

Latest posts