Distorted bass and pickups?

• Thread starter Ensanguine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
IIRC this guy uses a two channel setup with a guitar amp distortion on one side and more of a "bass" sound on the other.

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
One pedal that finds a happy medium between drive and fuzz that doesn't suck out the Bass fom your signal is the Aguilar Agro pedal.

It is the closest thing I have heard to guitar distortion for bass that keeps all the lows intact.

If you must know though, the Fulltone OCD and Xotic Bass BB do have tones very close to to what you are looking for. The best thing about the Agro pedal for you though is that even calls itself a "distortion" pedal.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Distortion?

Bass?

In Flames:

Fuckin' tractor tone.
tractor.gif
I love Peter's sound. :hbang: The culprit, MXR M-80 and some healthy biamping.

M80.jpg

big sal cbk

Reaction score
Recently got myself an ibanez PD7 distortion/overdrive pedal from thomann. Sounds pretty sweet with my 7 string bass! Does pretty much whatever you want, has 3 different settings - clean, overdrive and distortion and its also got 2 settings on how much attack you want. Can get anything from a mildly distorted clean attack to an all out Mortician style distortion and everything in between.

Iron Batus

Reaction score
i used to use a really cheap digitech stompbox on my fender pbass with a duncan 'quarter pounder' SBP-3 pickup in it. ive noticed that when it comes to any bass effects, they tend to sound better and be more noticable on a brighter tone, even moreso just playing in a higher register. the sbp is a pbass pickup i know, but i have a dean with knockoff emg active soapbars, and it sounded really good with that too, so my opinion is as long as your tone is naturally bright and audible, almost any stompbox should be versatile enough to crunch your way to happiness :)

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Fuckin' tractor tone.
tractor.gif
I love Peter's sound. :hbang: The culprit, MXR M-80 and some healthy biamping.

M80.jpg

Having used and sold that pedal I must say I could not get a good distorted sound out of it. Good thing I had primarily bought it for the boost in a band setting, however even that with the paired EQ made me rage.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
IIRC this guy uses a two channel setup with a guitar amp distortion on one side and more of a "bass" sound on the other.

It says on the youtube page that he used a PodX3

Oh yeah, that's right. That way he could get parallel tones internally.

On recapture I recorded Jim with just a distortion patch on the X3.

The newer ones I used the dual tone feature and had the "sub dub" down low in the mix.

Here is one I used the dual tones on:

Jim's bass has the stock J style pickups in it and an active preamp. It's a douglas from Rondo music. He modded the headstock and body. He was using the center position to make the two pickups one massive humbucker because those are single coils.

I like single coils hands down for distortion. They are much clearer in the distortion and tighter for clean.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
Depending on the pedal, I would go with passive electronics. Passive electronics work better in my opinion.

I had a Catalinbread SFT and it sounded bad with my basses. I sold it to Nick (eventhetrees) and it sounded amazing with his passive bass. One bass was a Spector with EMG HZ pickups. EMGs are really high output and I find a lot of distortions sound bad with them. Maybe that's just me. I'm not a distortion fan, I'm more of a fuzz head.

If you get something like an Aguilar AGRO, it sounds amazing with any bass. I can go from a little bit of tube fuzz to full-on destruction and every note is 100% clear.

Ensanguine

Reaction score
@Andii

I use a similar idea with dual tone, one clean, one distorted, except using a pick, generally for faster play.

So right now I'm torn between getting this:

Ibanez BTB576FM
ibabtb576f.jpg

or a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6

I like the look of the Ibanez better but I haven't tried it with distortion. The bassist in my band plays a Stiletto S 5 and I know it sounds great through distortion, so I'm kind of torn.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I'd go for the Stiletto Studio myself. That's pretty much my favorite non-Dingwall bass that I've ever played, and every one I've tried has sounded absolutely fantastic.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
@Andii

I use a similar idea with dual tone, one clean, one distorted, except using a pick, generally for faster play.

So right now I'm torn between getting this:

Ibanez BTB576FM
ibabtb576f.jpg

or a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6

I like the look of the Ibanez better but I haven't tried it with distortion. The bassist in my band plays a Stiletto S 5 and I know it sounds great through distortion, so I'm kind of torn.

I own a BTB and it is really good. It plays like a high end instrument and it's nearly perfect. I doubt the Schecter could live up to the quality of the BTB.

The BTB series have one thing wrong with them though: the pickup routes. If you want to swap the pickups in those it's hard to even figure out what your options are or if there are any.

Something with EMG routes will leave you with a ton of choices from a myriad of manufacturers.

I'm putting my soundclick in my signature where you can hear the BTB 776(with distortion of course) in a mix.

BLADAM:
http://www.soundclick.com/AxonSoundworks

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Three words,
Cliff Fucking Burton.

He pretty much pioneered the distorted bass and lead bass style.

RIP

In his Ric, he used a Gibson EB pickup in the neck, and a Fender Jazz in the bridge. you might also want to try the Aria CB model, his pseudo-sig.

Though if your looking at the Stiletto, I would reccomend to look at the Schecter Riot 6. The body shape is beautiful, you can get it with a beautiful wenge top on a swamp ash body, and it has to be one of the most comfortable things I have ever played.