Do we need feeler threads?

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It seems to me that it's gotten to the point that there's no difference between a feeler thread and a regular FS/FT thread. People that commit to a deal and then decide against it don't really suffer any consequences and people that put up feelers typically mean to put up a regular FS thread because they continually lower the price until someone buys it. I understand how it works on other forums, but on SSO I'm not seeing people use them with much of a difference. Or am I missing something?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
IMHO feeler threads are a waste. If they want to sell it and don't know a price they should use ebay to look up typical going prices; if they don't really want to sell it, they shouldn't even post about it and waste people's time.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, we do have our "What is my guitar worth" megathread, so people can use that. I can appreciate people wanting to see if they can get a certain amount for their guitar, but if that's the desire, just list the price as "firm."

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I think feeler threads are for people who just want to see what people would be willing to trade for their stuff. If something really good comes up, they'll go for it. After typing that, I realize that's the same as a FT thread though. So yeah, I agree.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Sort of like an online auction IMO.
Like already said, they should just decide if they want to sell and if only for a steep price then post it as "firm price".

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been guilty of it myself, my reasoning being that I just want to see if there is interest. I rarely bump my feeler threads, if at all, and never lower the price in them. If no one bites in a week or two I usually just close or delete them, my own threads that is.

To me, saying "feeler" means that, in all likeliness, I will not move this item, I'm just seeing if there is any market for it. If someone did offer me EXACTLY what I was looking for, then I could be persuaded.

I think others just treat them like a regular FS/FT, or use the term on purpose to aid their sale, using the term to show that they still want the item in question and thus it'll take a lot of cash or a really good trade for them to move it.

That's my take on it anyway.

I'm not going to start deleting FS/FT with feeler in the title, nor do I think mandating that will do anything positive. Are six letters added onto a thread title really that awful?

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with someone having the title of their ad say 'feeler', it might be a good idea to have that built in as a drop down option like the FS/FT pre-title bits.

The thing that I find annoying is seeing people say 'huge feeler' 'mega feeler', things like that. Looks childish and silly, we all know what 'feeler' means, no need to go hyperbolic with ad titles.