Do you play rock/metal rhythm with reverb always on?

• Thread starter Georgeclooney5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
It's ok if you're unable to double track. Very little even so. The entire rest of my existence I have zero desire to smear my rhythm line all over itself.

A big trick with JP and many acts at the level is to have a bunch of FX to modulate the shortcomings/idiosyncrasies of other bunches of FX. He may only have been using a reverb, but I'd bet money there's a ton more going on in those circumstances.

As far as that Kiko clip, it sounded pretty ass IMO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yup. depends on the tones I was going for. Anything EVH like, or 80's metal I had a little reverb in. I also like how it makes a guitar sound while it's in standard tuning, same with a touch of chorus. Even in Drop D it was pretty cool. But otherwise for "my own" sound I don't use it.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Reverb is for surf music.

Delay is for leads.

Modern rock/metal tone for rhythm is generally quite dry. Prior to 1994, that wasn't the case. YMMV.

BRUH....I'm not Nuno, I don't want to hear my fuckup for 10 minutes.

As far as reverb, on an actual amp I don't use it unless I'm trying to do something like some Duane Eddy stuff, but when I use a modeler I'll use a little bit just to get that little bit of natural reverb you get from playing an amp in a room. It's not enough to feel like an effect, but it does add that little something to make it sound more like a real amp, at least in my opinion.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
if i'm just noodling I'll have reverb on.

But if I'm recording something then I'm in the zero reverb on rhythm guitars crowd so they're as up front as can be.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Depends on the song.

If it’s tight, syncopated metal, nope. But if it’s something like an AIC-hard rock riff where I’m probably playing a Les Paul into a Marshall tone, I’m most likely putting a dash of “ahh” on the end to simulate some room mics. Not “ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh”, just a quick one, like the carbonation releasing from a soda bottle when you open it (that length, not sound)

I also sometimes throw all the guitars, drums and vocals through a reverb on its own bus to force the idea it was all tracked in the same place/room, but I doubt anyone ever even notices that shit.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I take it on a case by case basis. It depends on what the context is in a song. It might sound great or it might make things less clear and sound like ass. I usually opt for no reverb if it's a drivey/gain tone.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When I had a dual reverb pedal I liked to have an always-on short reverb and then hit the other side to send that short reverb into a longer reverb for leads/ambient/spacey stuff. I sometimes do something like that when jamming with VSTs too. I justify the always-on one by assuming I'm getting the sound of my room either way so I might as well add a little something I know I like since I know my room isn't ideal.

If I'm recording double-tracked metal rhythm parts then I keep them dry like everyone else.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Yes, I do especially when just playing alone. In a recording situation it really depends on the context. If I record a death metal song I'd probably keep the signal as dry as possible but then on the other hand, I was listening to some Plini the other day and realised he actually has some delay on his rhythm tracks and it can really make the rhythm guitars fit better in the mix or to just add some ambience.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Depends on the rhythm. I normally don't but for some parts, I like to have a little on. :yesway:

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
imo, the only time its really appropriate to have reverb for metal rhythm is if you are using an IR/IR loader with a really small resolution 20-40ms, since this is removing the "room" or "air" of the IR. I run an amp central which cuts IRs to 20ms so I use my boss rv6 to add a tiny bit of room reverb to the tone. Its really subtle and its more about rounding off the high end than truly "hearing" the reverb, if you get what I mean. Otherwise, id use a more noticeable reverb for cleans/ambient stuff as well as leads.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Jamming at home? Sure, a tiny bit.

Live? HELL NO. As @ArtDecade pointed out, venues have their own reverb (which most of the times you'd love to get rid of).

I've only heard him use it for sparingly for leads when I've seen DT in concert.

This. I've even heard Petrucci say in interviews that key to a good metal rythm tone is to keep it dry, with no FX at all. He just uses the Chorus here and there when he wants those expansive sounding choruses and the like, but that's it.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Recording...NEVER
Modern metal/Djent...NO

Everything else...YES, THANK YOU (in different amounts)
I usually cut the EQ of the reverb so that it doesn't eat the tone, basically a low cut that is in the 1.5K and an high cut at 5.5K

Mortargag

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Absolutely. I play murky death metal with dissonance, time changes and an abundance of ugliness. It helps everything sound bigger and uglier.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
on mixes I always have a tiny, almost impercetible ammount of reverb on (like 1.3-1.5 seconds long with a 3% wet setting) IMO, it helps to give VST recorded tones some "room" feel and sound less sterile.

IMO my mixes are pretty clear regarding guitars (shit snare and absurds ammount of bass are another issue :lol: )

Live I keep it completely dry, for the reasons exposed above