Do you smoke?

• Thread starter Regor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Do you smoke cigarettes?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
FUCK no. I hate smoking with a passion.

None of my family smokes, but all my friends do. It sucks. My dad smoked for over 40 years, and maaaan... you should see him now. He has to spend a couplea hundred on pills each month, plus be on oxygen, take every type of inhaler known to man, plus he's now a diabetic because of the steroids he has to be on. Oh the lovely things that awate smokers as they get older. I've seen them all first hand. (Watching my dad die in front of me was a trip. Thank God for CPR.) He lucked out and didn't get cancer, how I don't know. But COPD, emphysema, asthma 11 or 12 times, the works.

I guess I answered that one. :lol: Sorry for the diatribe, but I guess I have some cause. I hate smoking. :(

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
You guys should see first-hand how fun the process is. It's better than pulling teeth - gasping for air every day, taking tons of pills, dying of pulmonary failure! What a way to die... *blissful sigh* Sign me up! :woohoo:

What a joy. A crusader! :lol: But seriously, anyone who smoked lived with my pops for a week, man, I'm betting they'd quit pronto. But eh. Nobody likes a complainer, so smoke 'em if ya got 'em! *HACK*

:lol:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Nope. My girlfriend smoked when I first started dating her and I had her quit within 2 weeks (I'm a very convincing guy). Ha ha. Now she can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. It's ironic.

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
FUCK no. I hate smoking with a passion.

None of my family smokes, but all my friends do. It sucks. My dad smoked for over 40 years, and maaaan... you should see him now. He has to spend a couplea hundred on pills each month, plus be on oxygen, take every type of inhaler known to man, plus he's now a diabetic because of the steroids he has to be on. Oh the lovely things that awate smokers as they get older. I've seen them all first hand. (Watching my dad die in front of me was a trip. Thank God for CPR.) He lucked out and didn't get cancer, how I don't know. But COPD, emphysema, asthma 11 or 12 times, the works.

I guess I answered that one. :lol: Sorry for the diatribe, but I guess I have some cause. I hate smoking. :(

Dude, I have been looking for reasons to stop. I know all of the problems, who the hell doesn't. I'm gonna print that and put it on my wall. My kids are everything to me. You helped bro.

Naren said:
Nope. My girlfriend smoked when I first started dating her and I had her quit within 2 weeks (I'm a very convincing guy). Ha ha. Now she can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. It's ironic.

But I guaran-fuckin-tee you she wants one every day. She thinks about them more than she does you...Kudos for getting her to quit though.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I quit smoking 7 months ago. I love being a nonsmoker now. I feel great when I exercise and workout now. Before, when I was a smoker, it sucked. I am glad I quit. It wasn't easy though, but I did it and I feel better.

Cigarettes = :noway:

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
Dive-Baum said:
Dude, I have been looking for reasons to stop. I know all of the problems, who the hell doesn't. I'm gonna print that and put it on my wall. My kids are everything to me. You helped bro.

You want a story that will help you quit. It was October of 2000. My wife was pregnant with my first born son. I had been a smoker and a cocky smoker's advocate for years. I laughed at the infomercials, I laughed when people would tell me what it was doing to me, I just didn't care.

My wife had been on me about it pretty much the entire time we were together as she was a definite non smoker and hated that I did it. She used every trick in the book to try to get me to quit and I wouldn't. Then we started talking one night and I realized that by not stopping I was going to not only tell my son that it was all right to kill yourself every day of your life but that it was allright to pay a corporation to hand you the means to do it.

I was on a real self improvement kick that fall, trying to prepare myself for being a Dad. So I decided that I'd quit. I didn't really believe that I'd quit but I did want to be a good role model for my little man. That October 31 I had my last cigarette.

My son was born on December 15th and I was the happiest man on the planet. What we didn't know then was that he was born with immature lungs. We all knew (doctors included) that he was having a hard time breathing but he was a few weeks premature after all and they told us not to worry. He never got better. By the time the doctors decided he needed more help than they could give him it was too late. He actually died while I was on the way to the hospital they were going to fly him to. He never made it on the plane. He died December 17th, 2000.

The weeks and months afterward were the darkest and most horrific times I've ever survived and every day was miserable and stressed. My wife and I did everything we could to live on and make it through. Through it all, I never had a single cigarette, even though I wanted one so badly I thought I'd die without one. I just kept thinking about the promise that I'd made.

I still have cravings from time to time and I still think about cigarettes (it's especially hard considering I spend 12-14 hours each weekend in smoky bars) but I've yet to take even a drag. I don't think I could even if I tried.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Dive-Baum said:
But I guaran-fuckin-tee you she wants one every day. She thinks about them more than she does you...Kudos for getting her to quit though.

That's not true, dude. YOU may be that way. People are different. My uncle smoked for a long time and then just one day decided to quit and hasn't touched a cigarette for over 10 years. Does he want to smoke? He told me that cigarette smoke now revolts him. For the first few months after he quit, he wanted to smoke every now and then, but he said it was easy to resist the urge. Then, there are people who try to quit smoking again and again just to start smoking again.

My girlfriend quit smoking in August of last year, so if she thinks about smoking more than she thinks about me, then I seriously have a problem and need to break up with her. She had no problem quitting. I have other friends who cut down on cigarettes, slowly decreasing how many cigarettes they smoked until they weren't smoking anymore. My girlfriend just quit. I can believe she wanted to smoke a bit the first month or so. But now? The smell of cigarettes makes her nauseous. I've noticed a lot of ex-smokers get sick from the smell of cigarettes after they've quit. It's interesting.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Damn man... dunno what to say to that :hug:

My Dad has lung cancer, been smoking for 40 years. He almost died but he made it. Unfortunately he smokes again even after they had to take out parts of his ribs. I hate it.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
i smoke cigars occaisionally (odd, huh?) its been over a year since i've had one though.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Smoke as in cigarettes? Or as in sticky green stuff?

Either way, hell no! If I'm going to die, I'd rather get whacked in the head or shot than slowly drown in my own mucous, thank you very much. :eek:

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Christopher said:
You want a story that will help you quit. It was October of 2000. My wife was pregnant with my first born son. I had been a smoker and a cocky smoker's advocate for years. I laughed at the infomercials, I laughed when people would tell me what it was doing to me, I just didn't care.

My wife had been on me about it pretty much the entire time we were together as she was a definite non smoker and hated that I did it. She used every trick in the book to try to get me to quit and I wouldn't. Then we started talking one night and I realized that by not stopping I was going to not only tell my son that it was all right to kill yourself every day of your life but that it was allright to pay a corporation to hand you the means to do it.

I was on a real self improvement kick that fall, trying to prepare myself for being a Dad. So I decided that I'd quit. I didn't really believe that I'd quit but I did want to be a good role model for my little man. That October 31 I had my last cigarette.

My son was born on December 15th and I was the happiest man on the planet. What we didn't know then was that he was born with immature lungs. We all knew (doctors included) that he was having a hard time breathing but he was a few weeks premature after all and they told us not to worry. He never got better. By the time the doctors decided he needed more help than they could give him it was too late. He actually died while I was on the way to the hospital they were going to fly him to. He never made it on the plane. He died December 17th, 2000.

The weeks and months afterward were the darkest and most horrific times I've ever survived and every day was miserable and stressed. My wife and I did everything we could to live on and make it through. Through it all, I never had a single cigarette, even though I wanted one so badly I thought I'd die without one. I just kept thinking about the promise that I'd made.

I still have cravings from time to time and I still think about cigarettes (it's especially hard considering I spend 12-14 hours each weekend in smoky bars) but I've yet to take even a drag. I don't think I could even if I tried.

Words can not express what I feel after reading that. I don't know that I could have made it through that...I'm not talking about smoking. I am so sorry. You are an incredible man for holding true to yourself and the memory of your son by keeping your pledge. Thats it guys...I am doing it tomorrow is my last day.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Dive-Baum said:
Words can not express what I feel after reading that. I don't know that I could have made it through that...I'm not talking about smoking. I am so sorry. You are an incredible man for holding true to yourself and the memory of your son by keeping your pledge. Thats it guys...I am doing it tomorrow is my last day.

I have to applaud you for that. That is just cool.

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
Christopher said:

My wife had been on me about it pretty much the entire time we were together as she was a definite non smoker and hated that I did it. She used every trick in the book to try to get me to quit and I wouldn't. Then we started talking one night and I realized that by not stopping I was going to not only tell my son that it was all right to kill yourself every day of your life but that it was alright to pay a corporation to hand you the means to do it.

As a dad, I can barely imagine that type of pain. No parent should out live a kid. You have my heartfelt appreciation, of the situation you find yourself in.

My mom only smoked for 60 years (!?!). She had to quit when she couldn't smoke in her oxygen mask. She had cancer, heart attacks, rheumatic fever, and emphysema, and lived to be 82. I DON'T recommend her path! In later life, she just wished for death, her pain was so great. I hate cigarettes. The putrid reek of a Winston makes me gag uncontrollably.:noplease: