Do you still favor your BKPs?

• Thread starter jsnleo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sir_Shreddington

Reaction score
Is a bridge sinner good at general purpose chugs
Yeah dude, it can do it. I mean, it's still a single coil but it can hang with a humbucker. They really are my fav single coils I've ever played. Hot single coils have a really cool scoopy (but very usable) kind of sound to my ears and I like them a lot. Give one a go if you haven't tried one yet, I def recommend them

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Is a bridge sinner good at general purpose chugs
When you add more wire to a single coil it loses mids, so imagine your favourite single coil boosted then scooped still with 60 cycle hum. It still won't sound like a chug.

I've had sinners before and noise was an issue with distortion so only really liked the in between sounds but still never sounded chuggy more like a big fat tele. Clean they are like a hotter Dimarzio FS-1 which nails early Knopfler tone, not exactly chug.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score

Rebel Yells actually sounds more than good, that single note and chugging stuff sounded insane

Merrekof

Reaction score
Yeah and no.

I used to buy lots of different pickups, I've owned BKP: nailbombs, impulses, cobra, aftermath, painkiller, holydiver, SD: Sh4-6-8, alnico pro, black winter,..

Then I kind of stopped caring about it when I realized a 200€ upgrade wasn't necessarily better or even that different. Once an amp is set on high gain, the difference in pickups really becomes minimal. Sometimes even non-existant. The BKP aftermath set and Black winter I still own today stay in their guitar because I still like those pups.

From what I remember I realized that the pickups I really liked were the high-output ones with ceramic magnets so when I look at pickups online, I look for these two specs.

BKP has gotten too expensive for me but I really like their custom shop. That was a huge bonus that you could get a good sounding pickup that was an eyecatcher and it would match with the overall look of the guitar.

That said, these days I'm back, looking at pickups online and I really want to buy a bunch of cheap but good Chinese pups. There are several pickup brands with a good reputation I'm ready to try out. As stated above, I would be looking at the high-output, ceramic pickups.
I'm really wondering if these cheaper pups get to the level of 150€ pups. Basically when they use the same magnets, windings and wire gauge, they should be identical. After all, wages in USA or UK shops are a lot higher than in China.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Then I kind of stopped caring about it when I realized a 200€ upgrade wasn't necessarily better or even that different. Once an amp is set on high gain, the difference in pickups really becomes minimal. Sometimes even non-existant. The BKP aftermath set and Black winter I still own today stay in their guitar because I still like those pups.

I am the exact opposite of this. The more gain, the more important the characteristics of the pickups. Many pickups eighter drown, get muddy, undefined or fizzy with high gain. For me the way they react to a high gain sound is very very important for the bridge pickup especially.

armsliketeeth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just got my first 7 string, and I'm torn between the Juggernauts, Blackhawk and Ragnarok. Any insight from people who've had these would be great. The guitar is a 27" Balaguer Diablo with a hardtail bridge and bolt on neck.

ManOnTheEdge

Reaction score
Just got my first 7 string, and I'm torn between the Juggernauts, Blackhawk and Ragnarok. Any insight from people who've had these would be great. The guitar is a 27" Balaguer Diablo with a hardtail bridge and bolt on neck.
A lot will depend on what sound/tones you’re trying to achieve and the rig you’re running through

Extended scale lengths tend to accentuate the lows and highs, so a balanced or mid-forward pickup may be more ideal

Would also suggest shooting an email over to the guys at BKP as their suggestions are normally right on the nose

armsliketeeth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A lot will depend on what sound/tones you’re trying to achieve and the rig you’re running through

Extended scale lengths tend to accentuate the lows and highs, so a balanced or mid-forward pickup may be more ideal

Would also suggest shooting an email over to the guys at BKP as their suggestions are normally right on the nose
Ended up doing exactly this, Tim suggested Black Hawks or Impulses, so I went Alnico Black Hawk. They're the best pickup I've ever used, the split tones sound better than some of my favorite single coil tones such as a Fender Noiseless or a vintage Jazzmaster set. Not to mention the high gain tones are incredible. Cheers to you for your suggestion.

armsliketeeth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I want pile drivers?
I've had a Telecaster with these for years, they're awesome but they are slightly overrated for their ability to do "metal". Great for heavy rock and emo though, they just lack that meat you look for with the really chuggy stuff.