Favorite Compressor Pedal 2024

• Thread starter USMarine75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you all adjust compressor settings with a fully wet signal then blend in the original signal, or do you start with a 50/50 blend to adjust the compressor settings?
I put the Mira on full dry and set the output level to unity. Then I put it on full wet to dial in the comp, then set the makeup gain to unity. Then I dial in a blend, which always raises the output level, so I adjust the output back to unity.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just snagged the API CMP compressor pedal. It kicks ass. So far I've only tested it with bass.

Super quiet. A bit subtle, but it's absolutely one of those pedals you don't want to turn off. I picked this over the new Cali76 because of the transformer: I wanted something closer to the big box Cali76 (even though the API circuit is a VCA).

If you don't know this site, it has the best compressor pedal reviews (though it is bass focused):

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I have some of the Cali76TX comps. I really like them with bass. I don't seem to really care what amp I've using as long as the Cali is in front of it.

For guitar, the only use I've found for it is with a Strat if I want to try to thicken it for high gain. The comp can sort of glue things together so it's not so "clear" and stringy like single coils can be. Otherwise, humbuckers and OD pedals seem to add plenty of compression.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have some of the Cali76TX comps. I really like them with bass. I don't seem to really care what amp I've using as long as the Cali is in front of it.

For guitar, the only use I've found for it is with a Strat if I want to try to thicken it for high gain. The comp can sort of glue things together so it's not so "clear" and stringy like single coils can be. Otherwise, humbuckers and OD pedals seem to add plenty of compression.
I must be out of the loop, why are those going for $1k+ used? I thought they were like 4-500 new?

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Suhr Woodshed compressor. Studio-style compressor in a little box. Super versatile. Can do the hi-fi "tone enhancer" thing the Cali 76 does, and can also get plenty squishy if you want it to.
woodshed-front-1.jpg

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Suhr Woodshed compressor. Studio-style compressor in a little box. Super versatile. Can do the hi-fi "tone enhancer" thing the Cali 76 does, and can also get plenty squishy if you want it to.
woodshed-front-1.jpg
That looks cool. Having a threshold control seems really useful to me.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
woodshed-front-1.jpg
Dig the size. A mix knob is a must for me these days though.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i tried out a mxr dyna comp with my rig (first compression pedal for me) but sweet jesus does that thing suck the tone when its not engaged. I returned it and ordered a custom comp which is supposed to be true bypass and has an internal attack pot, so hopefully that will work out for me. The dyna comp did sound nice with cleans though but its unusable with the amount of tone suck that happens when its off.