Does anyone else....

ravvydabby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
find the joy in tabbing out your own musical creations as much as i do here? there's just something about being able to listen to a production of your own in MIDI that i love so much, even playing the Real track along with in the background. LOVE IT. my writing style is sorta repetitive but i like to build stuff up along the way as it goes, all leading up to a big final moment.... feel free to download and check out the song i've dubbed "Black Flag". also you might enjoy some of the annotations i've included in the guitar pro file also lol

let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

• BLACK FLAG .pdf
    263.8 KB · Views: 5

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I like what you did and are doing but I personally can't stand tabbing out stuff, using piano rolls or step modes in drum machines, or navigating computer daw's. It just consumes so much time and energy and gives me physiclal pains sitting and staring for hours. I see them as a means to an end. I use to tab riffs I made but found it consumes to much time. I like to play and record it to document it, figure out by ear if I forgot something and write in no particular sequence or regiment. I may start and idea as an intro and it ends up as an outro etc..There's no best way, only the way that you see best at the time. happy jams.

scotto10

Reaction score
I have created a very bad habit of tabbing songs out. Not my own but other bands that the "powers that be" never felt was worth transcribing. It now takes about 90%+ of my musical time. In fact, I don't really "play" anymore - just transcribe. It's like an addiction to putting puzzles together so I get where you're coming from.
I don't use midi or piano rolls or DAWs or any of that. Just the mp3, my ears and a good slowdowner program.

ravvydabby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like what you did and are doing but I personally can't stand tabbing out stuff, using piano rolls or step modes in drum machines, or navigating computer daw's. It just consumes so much time and energy and gives me physiclal pains sitting and staring for hours. I see them as a means to an end. I use to tab riffs I made but found it consumes to much time. I like to play and record it to document it, figure out by ear if I forgot something and write in no particular sequence or regiment. I may start and idea as an intro and it ends up as an outro etc..There's no best way, only the way that you see best at the time. happy jams.
yeah its time consuming... i personally see it as more of an outlet as to whats going on in my head when i write something... also works wonders on parts with harmonies haha
I have created a very bad habit of tabbing songs out. Not my own but other bands that the "powers that be" never felt was worth transcribing. It now takes about 90%+ of my musical time. In fact, I don't really "play" anymore - just transcribe. It's like an addiction to putting puzzles together so I get where you're coming from.
I don't use midi or piano rolls or DAWs or any of that. Just the mp3, my ears and a good slowdowner program.
I hail from an erra of time in which obtaining your own means to record wasnt as viable of an option as it is today. So guitar pro came in handy whe. You couldnt nessesarilly lay down 2 parts together.... now that i mention that i realize that, alot of my music is mostly expierementing with how a L &R track mesh together.... interesting. And i completely understand the "puzzle" in which you speak of....So this tempo reducing/non destructive pitch program you speak of... tell me more? And what was the last thing you tabbed out? I wanna check it out!

torchlord

Reaction score
I've tabbed some of my riffs and turned them into songs in the past and went so far as to put drum ideas (not a drummer), vocals (using synth vocals), keyboard synth tracks (not a keyboardist), but I haven't had the want to do it much in probably 5 years, but every so often I throw a good riff idea in Guitar Pro. It is rather time-consuming so I haven't done it much lately, but I've always had an interest in getting a midi guitar set up so I could just punch it in with my guitar super fast, I even bought an Axon MKII and a Roland GK3 (might be wrong on the pickup name) in an attempt to input the notes quickly. I did get the notes in quick but they never were placed in the right spot on the fretboard in Guitar Pro compared to where I played the notes. I've been playing 7-string for most of my time as a guitar player and the issue is none of the Midi systems work for 7-string guitars, so I haven't looked to do that same quick midi input to Guitar Pro again.

scotto10

Reaction score
I use Amazing Slowdown mostly but also use Transcribe! There was an app that was pretty good called Riffstation that I also use on occasion but it got bought out by Fender and made free by them for a little while before eventually being dissolved completely. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. There is no one program that "does it all".
My profile on Ultimate-guitar.com is the same as my user name here - scotto10. I have hundreds of tabs up there.

alex_x

Reaction score
I used to GTP all of my old stuff, but got kind of tired of this, esp. doin all the instruments by self (I also tend to give other members more freedom to make their part all by themselves now), so now I only record riffs on guitar.

ravvydabby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used to GTP all of my old stuff, but got kind of tired of this, esp. doin all the instruments by self (I also tend to give other members more freedom to make their part all by themselves now), so now I only record riffs on guitar.
i used to do drums with it.... this was years ago.... to the point im prety sure the kick was 36 and snare was 41? just forever burned into my brain lol.

Max Dread

Reaction score
to the point im prety sure the kick was 36 and snare was 41? just forever burned into my brain lol.

I know that feeling!! But it's 38 for the snare. 41 is a floor tom....

I've written a good number of tracks in GP4 in the past. I usually wrote solo and got really quick at it. plus I'd find nifty ways to beef things up, like using three of four cymbals at the same time (at different velocities) and doubling up toms for bigger sounding toms... I felt really sad and naff doing it on the one hand but really enjoyed it on the other and would tweak away until i got it to as good as I could get it sounding.

My brother plays bass, so it was handy to then have the tabs to give him and to work from when getting the bass parts nailed. And of course it served as a reminder for me. The end goal was to put the drums into a proper sequencer and use Superior for drums, record guitar parts myself and have my brother record the bass. Life keeps getting in the way but I've still got my sights on doing that one day/month/year.

Happy to share any of my GP4 complete songs to anyone who wants a listen, so long as you're fully prepared for the MIDI sound!... Tough to know where to place it musically, but somewhere between Death, Mastodon, Neurosis, and British Metal/Thrash...

ravvydabby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know that feeling!! But it's 38 for the snare. 41 is a floor tom....

I've written a good number of tracks in GP4 in the past. I usually wrote solo and got really quick at it. plus I'd find nifty ways to beef things up, like using three of four cymbals at the same time (at different velocities) and doubling up toms for bigger sounding toms... I felt really sad and naff doing it on the one hand but really enjoyed it on the other and would tweak away until i got it to as good as I could get it sounding.

My brother plays bass, so it was handy to then have the tabs to give him and to work from when getting the bass parts nailed. And of course it served as a reminder for me. The end goal was to put the drums into a proper sequencer and use Superior for drums, record guitar parts myself and have my brother record the bass. Life keeps getting in the way but I've still got my sights on doing that one day/month/year.

Happy to share any of my GP4 complete songs to anyone who wants a listen, so long as you're fully prepared for the MIDI sound!... Tough to know where to place it musically, but somewhere between Death, Mastodon, Neurosis, and British Metal/Thrash...
hey man send them over id love to check them out! and have you checked out guitar pro 8 yet? it gives you the ability to drop a, audio file into the project and its actually the shit!

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I write all my ideas in guitar pro and from there will piece together a song. Sometimes removing riffs/licks and taking them from other songs. I find it very beneficial to be able to hear a song this way and then write in the harmonies, bass, drums and synth. It’s also good to get a sense of the tempo, any time/tempo signature changes and find out if it sounds better in a different tuning.

It can also be a lifesaver when it comes to recording and you forget the harmony guitars or even the original guitar lines. And you can practice along to the guitar pro file which IMO is a better practice tool than a metronome.

It is important not to solely write in guitar pro though. By that I mean constant straight 16ths with no groove, impossible positions, arpeggios everywhere, no bends etc. For many bands/artists this is part of their style but there is a point where it’s a bit too obvious it was wrote with a computer and not a guitar. On the other hand writing in guitar pro can open you up to non conventional guitar patterns and chords.

ravvydabby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I write all my ideas in guitar pro and from there will piece together a song. Sometimes removing riffs/licks and taking them from other songs. I find it very beneficial to be able to hear a song this way and then write in the harmonies, bass, drums and synth. It’s also good to get a sense of the tempo, any time/tempo signature changes and find out if it sounds better in a different tuning.

It can also be a lifesaver when it comes to recording and you forget the harmony guitars or even the original guitar lines. And you can practice along to the guitar pro file which IMO is a better practice tool than a metronome.

It is important not to solely write in guitar pro though. By that I mean constant straight 16ths with no groove, impossible positions, arpeggios everywhere, no bends etc. For many bands/artists this is part of their style but there is a point where it’s a bit too obvious it was wrote with a computer and not a guitar. On the other hand writing in guitar pro can open you up to non conventional guitar patterns and chords.
right! i find myself doing the opposite almost rather write the songs then analyze in GP... sometimes makes you think "oh i could easily add this here, or that there!" But even doing just that can b a double edged sword sometimes just like you said, adding imposible eto play parts and such... such an amazing tool! i almost find it fun watching the parts play out before your own eyes in a way also... give you the sense of being a producer more than a writer at that point, where you can almost give something you've came up with a second set of ears.