Does lower tuning make you heavier?

• Thread starter ferret
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score

I found this really amusing. While I wouldn't mind the E tuning version of the riffs the lower tuning bass response made it sound fuller.

Oh and drop Q tuning? My new catch phrase!

EDIT: Mods if someone beat me to it, please delete this thread or merge it with the existing one!

protest

Reaction score
I think the vocalist actually has a bigger role in the "heaviness" of the band than the tuning you're in.

stevexc

Reaction score
I've found it's more compositional than anything. What makes you sound heavy is a tight synchronicity between the guitar(s), bass, and most importantly the drummer.

Neilzord

.Metal.
Reaction score
I personally base "heavy-ness" on the aggression/feeling the music contains / projects , which can be achieved through any tuning!

Edika

Reaction score
I agree that the lower tunings don't make that much of a difference. I mean there were a lot of heavy sounding bands in E tuning.
It is quite helpful for a singer (not a vocalist/growler). The only thing I can think of is the response of the pickups and the equing/mastering required. Maybe it's easier to ass mids in a lower registers in a recording sense than having higher registers and trying to fit more lower mids and bass frequencies, by maybe subtracting some frequencies.

But that "Q tuning", dear lord! Hahahaha!

EDIT: I mainly posted the video for entertainment purposes and actually having a sonar example of the differences in lowering the tuning. I write most of my stuff in E standard and have other guitars tuned in different keys for playing songs. I always thought of down tuning as the same sequence of notes with a different starting point.

Zhysick

Reaction score
[...]it's easier to ass mids in a[...]

Great!! :lol:

I think downtuning makes a little bit heavier but depends a lot on mostly the composition.

I have listened to a lot of "happy metal" with 8 string guitars tuned to C#(below standard F#, of course) and lot of really heavy metal in tunings like standard E...

But... I somehow love how Drop C sound in a standard 6, Drop A and Drop G in a standard 7 and specially Drop E in a 8 string.

I think that somehow there are a few tunings that sounds heavier but it depends on the guitar, amplifier, the way you EQ to have your own sound...

But a lower tuning is not proportional to a heavier sound.

guitarfan85

Banned
Reaction score
I think the vocalist actually has a bigger role in the "heaviness" of the band than the tuning you're in.

I agree. But if your vocalist is growling or has a good deep voice, then lower tuned guitars can compliment that very well. I always play in B or drop A because when I was getting I to Swedish metal a lot of bands are tuned as such..... So I just like it that way, but at the end of the day you can still be as heavy playing in E.

I wonder are there any bands that tune even higher? Does anyone play in E sharp?

wat

Reaction score
Yes.

It's not that E standard can't be heavy, it's just that C and B sound so much more so.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
no in general. Things like drop D for example gives your chords a different resonance that can often make it sound more heavy to me, and one or two steps tuned down has a bit of an effect but it is diminishing and the effect is completely lost when you are down 4-5 steps/7-string, and I sense no difference in how heavy things are between a downtuned 8string and a regular guitar tuned down 4 steps even though there is almost an octave between them. Composition completely takes over. Is what I think/my taste at least :D

Axayacatl

Reaction score
meh... ever since I started down tuning I've gained approximately 25-30 pounds..... Damn you heavy metal!!! :wallbash:

Chemical-Pony

Reaction score
I think it does sound a bit heavier at lower tunings, but it's about diminishing returns the lower you go. Beyond a certain point with distortion it just sounds like noise and you can't hear the notes anymore. That's the problem I have with things like 9 string guitars. The bass needs to be clean to cut through the mud. Not that I have anytihng against noise. I like noise, but everything in moderation and in its proper place.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I think it does to a point. I love listening to super low tunings, but for me when I'm playing, I don't like to go low to the point that your lowest power chords lose that sweet "chunk". I think it's around G or G#.

Aviator

Reaction score
I guess it really depends on the composition, mix and mastering. For example Teras by Sylosis is in standard tuning on 6 string and that song is really heavy. I can tell the same for Uneven Structure, they are using A# tuning or Drop G# and their songs sound heavier to me than songs written on 8 strings. And last example would be Periphery. Comapre Ji (8 string) to Luck As A Constant (Drop C). Luck As A Constant just sounds heavier to me because of the way the main riff/groove is written.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Depends whether you're going for blades or hammers.