Don't Bother With This Lens

• Thread starter Azyiu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score

Steve

I'm a Happy Camper.
Reaction score
Damn.... I'm looking into buying a IS Lens for my Cannon EOS..... Can you recommend any other manufacturers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Damn.... I'm looking into buying a IS Lens for my Cannon EOS..... Can you recommend any other manufacturers?

Overall, Canon still produces better lenses then other companies like Sigma and Tamaron etc, so I actually suggest you stick with Canon. As long as you stay away from this said lens, you will be fine, seriously. So what kind of range do you need? Let me know and I might be able to recommend you something.

After owning an IS lens for such a long time, I realized you don't really need the IS at all. In fact, in this case, half the lens' price went to the IS, and I thought it is unnecessary.

My view on the IS is that, you would use a tripod or monopod if you are shooting in a darker location. And when you do, you are adviced to turn the IS off anyway. Or you would be using a flash. Either way, I just don't see the IS as something you look for in choosing a lens.

Decreate

Reaction score
I guess IS is useful in places where its inconvenient to set up a tripod....would really like to try the 70-200mm L F2.8 IS...

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
I guess IS is useful in places where its inconvenient to set up a tripod....would really like to try the 70-200mm L F2.8 IS...

Yes and no.

In fact, I own the 70 - 200MM L f/2.8 (without IS), and all I can say is, for such a heavy lens, the IS version basically defeats its purpose. Originally I wanted the IS version too, then after trying it I decided to get the non-IS one.

See, the IS version is almost half a pound heavier (@ around 3.5lbs) and is at least $400 more expensive. At that weight, you still can't guarantee the IS would do its magic without using a tripod or a monopod. I just don't see why I need to spend another $400 JUST for the IS I might not use at all. :noplease: Of course, if you have a real need for the IS, by all means...

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
It is a damn good lens (I mean the 50mm f/1.4)... it sucks that I don't have another wide angle for the moment... ahhhhhh!!!

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Haha I'm actually looking for a good wide angle lens too. I have an old 28mm f2.8 Phoenix but it's not as sharp as I would like it to be...and I'd rather have something a little under 20mm.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
^ very true, but it also costs at least 4 times as much as the 50mm f/1.4 :eek:

That said, I miiiiiiight just do that if or when I go full frame down the road. Currently the only choice within a reasonable price range is the 5D, but I hated that D-SLR very much. :noplease: I KNOW Canon can do better and go cheaper than THAT. So I am gonna wait til an updated, more advance and hopefully more affordable full frame D-SLR comes out.

Decreate

Reaction score
For some weird reason I seem to be more interested in the ID Mk III with its 1.3 crop factor....if it wasn't for the focusing issues the first batch was experiencing, I would have most probably already got one...

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Indeed, the 1D class and for sure the 1Ds class are NICE. Then again, there are lot of features and functions in those cameras that I know I won't be using, if at all... besides, their price tags are just out of my range right now. ;) Well, it would be super cool to own the 1Ds Mk III for no reasons at all though. :lol:

Decreate

Reaction score
I'm sure the 1Ds MkIII is a great piece of gear but its just something that I can't afford...so I guess I'll just wait until the ID Mk III problems gets fixed up...

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
An update on that piece of crap lens.

I was told by Canon it is either the motor or another piece of thing (not sure what it is called at all) broke. Either way, the repair cost is somewhere between USD $65 and $110. :eek: Simply put, this lens is just NOT worth a third repair and I am just going to keep it without the auto focusing... :mad:

I think I am almost a 100% positive on buying the EF 17-40mm L f/4 next. :yesway: