Dorthal jazz/metal track (Mayones Regius 7 & Patriot 5, Darkglass B7K/Axe-FX II))

• Thread starter Eldogond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eldogond

Reaction score
Hi there !

I'm working on my upcoming full length, and here is a short teaser/mix test or whatever it is :scream:

Dorthal - Arid Landscape (Album) - Grove finally grown through the emptiness of this place by Dorthal on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Bass is Mayones Patriot 5 + Darkglass B7K, guitars are Mayones Regius 7.
Axe-FX II all the way + Darkglass B7K for the bass.
Drums are DFH and SD2.0 (only for the snare and toms).

I'm still mixing this, there are a lot of guitar parts, and it's hard to get a clear sound of everything in the mix.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
Sounds awesome dude, I want a full length of that! Mixwise I can't tell you much because I don't know much and Am listening on the speaker on my iPhone right now :p but great stuff dude!

Terminus1993

Reaction score
Guitar sounds awesome, if I were you I'll work on the mix, you could make this song sounds even better with a good mix, sometimes there's a lack of volume on some instrument. BTW great work!

Enselmis

Reaction score
The first few notes that the bass comes in on sound totally out of tune. The clean guitars could use quite a bit more compression and the drums could come up in volume quite a bit. Cool idea though.

Eldogond

Reaction score
I agree about the mix, but I don't get the out of tune part. It's harmonized, but well tuned, yes it doesn't follow the root :)

Can you explain what you mean ?

C3Aye

Not C2Aye
Reaction score
With reference to the bass, I think Enselmis was saying that some of the notes don't "work" with the particular chord, not that the bass was actually out of tune. But you are making jazz music, so I guess not every note is going to "work".

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
The first few notes that the bass comes in on sound totally out of tune. The clean guitars could use quite a bit more compression and the drums could come up in volume quite a bit. Cool idea though.

Sounds just great to me, dude... Of course, I listen to a lot of modern art music... soooo....

Enselmis

Reaction score
With reference to the bass, I think Enselmis was saying that some of the notes don't "work" with the particular chord, not that the bass was actually out of tune. But you are making jazz music, so I guess not every note is going to "work".

Sort of. I guess I just have different ideas about the role of the bass. I just assumed it was out of tune because even if you're subscribing to some slightly more exotic ideas of harmony those particular notes don't really work. It creates quite a bit of tension which would have made sense had you recycled that idea later on in the tune, however in this case it just sounds as though you muffed the first couple notes.

Just clearing that up. :]