DotA 2 Thread!

• Thread starter Kurkkuviipale
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

parvis

Reaction score
ive been on the beta theres only like 500 people online at a given time

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Okay, let's rev up this thread again!

With the latest addition of Shadow Demon to the hero roster, it's quite nice to see how the game is progressing. Also, most of the artificial lag has been removed. :agreed:
Also, I'm fresh on taking a game if anyone's interested.

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
I'm not a very good DoTA player so I usually get shit-stomped in game, but it's getting a little better. I come from LoL land, so DoTA feels a lot more clunky than League. Last hitting is a pain not because of the less damage you deal, but the attack animations for many heroes are absolutely horrible. Coupled with the low attack damage it makes it very unforgiving with those who can't pace themselves as well as seasoned players.

I also have played DoTA since the original and I still resent the gold penalty whenever you die. To me that makes no sense; buy having a penalty when dying that diminishes the victim's chance for the rest of the game, and when you die many times the amount that you lose doesn't diminish that much either. This makes it hard for a team that starts to lose to pick it up again, which was one thing I liked about League more than DoTA. That aside, I love everything else about DoTA, and I'm sure once I become a more capable player both of those issues would resolve themselves.

But yeah, lag.... it hasn't been resolved at all lol.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
IMO, the last hitting mechanics are a little more unforgiving, but it just feels better. Some heroes like Drow or Necrolye got a ludicrous last hitting animation, but that's because they're so effing strong lategame and need something to balance it out.

The death penalty is a tough one to explain. One side is, is that by dying, you are unable to farm, get xp and be of overall help for a decent amount of time, which is punishment enough in itself. On the other hand though, if you don't lose anything but time, then people take death as a nuisance more than a bad move, heck, there's times in LoL where I see death as another teleport to grab my items.

And the optimization has been greatly improved indeed!

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
I know what you mean and it is a penalty in that matter but a way to balance it out would be to lower the loss of gold every time you die more noticeably. More than one time I was sitting at 3100 for a Reaver, dying, getting back to 3100, dying again, and sitting at that edge for about 10 minutes before finally getting it. I think it's a bit stupid.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Just started playing it.

I'm still getting confused by the shop. Having played Dota for years, it confuses the hell out of me.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
^It's way more intuitive than the regular dota shop! Also, you can search by the items names, plus the items resembles the originals okay well. You'll get used to it. :)

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
I just started playing this. After years of not playing anything similar (except WC3, which I stopped playing because heroes... haha), I'm pretty terrible. Anyone have good strategy sites and such? I found DOTA resources, but was more interested in "builds" (what order to level skills, and what items to buy). I just rely on not dying and playing carry/support classes right now.