Doug Jones (D) defeats Roy Moore (R) in Alabama Senate race

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone who tried to do PR for Moore was the fucking worst.

I mean, Ted Crockett openly guffawing on air with Tapper when he found out that swearing on the Christian Bible isn't the law, then tried to double down on his claim because "Well, Donald Trump swore in on the Bible!" Moore's wife stating he's not an anti-Semite because "our lawyer is Jewish" (shoutout to all my black friends that make me not racist!), or his buddy from Vietnam who he accidentally took to a 'private club' that was in fact a brothel, and was filled with underage women - he also goes on to stress they were women, because Moore ain't some kind of queermosexual! But oh no, Moore said "we shouldn't be here" and lead him and his friend out, even though he was the dipshit who lead them there.

And he STILL almost won!

marcwormjim

Reaction score
I haven’t read any of the posts, but I feel most questions can be answered with “Alabama.” Every time I visit my father-in-law in Huntsville, I consider it a form of time travel to the 15th century. They’re so behind the times, I’m not sure they even have AIDS, yet. And what’s the deal with airline food?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Moore's wife stating he's not an anti-Semite because "our lawyer is Jewish" (shoutout to all my black friends that make me not racist!)

Actually, what kind of rubbed me even more wrong was the wording, she didn't say their lawyer was "Jewish," she said "one of our lawyers is a Jew." Something about the wording of that seems to make it more dastardly to me. "One of" them is "a Jew." At least she didn't use a racial slur, but it's about one step away from that. Imagine how much worse Moore's wife could have said if he married someone the age he preferred instead of someone only 14 years younger than him.

The comments about patronage of a brother that was involved in trafficking underage girls, and then subtly implying that is so much better than anything involving relations between consenting individuals who happen to have the same sort of naughty bits, just makes me want to punch something, and I'm not at all a violent guy, typically.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, so glad this turned out right. I was really worried up until this morning, not because I want more democrats in office (which I'll take right now), but because it restores a little of my faith in humanity to make decisions that aren't absolutely horrible.

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Yea, "a Jew" just mkes me think that the collective of Jews is a concept in your head, rather than a personal attribute. Maybe I'm getting all Sapir-Whorf but I think such a statement betrays how someone organizes their mind in terms of "us" and "them".

This is just sad though -- polling by race/gender:

https://www.theatlas.com/charts/HyP4fOAZz

I get red state white men voting for Moore, because it's all sketchy guy club "locker room" BS behavior, but red state white women? Disappointing.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Yea, "a Jew" just mkes me think that the collective of Jews is a concept in your head, rather than a personal attribute.

But that is absolutely the way that almost all rural Americans think. Not that I agree with them, but in their defense, it was us Jews who arranged for that paradigm, what with being God's chosen people descended from Abraham. The principle basis of the entire religion is "God love us, not you". But I digress.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
This is just sad though -- polling by race/gender:

https://www.theatlas.com/charts/HyP4fOAZz

I get red state uneducated white men voting for Moore, because it's all sketchy guy club "locker room" BS behavior, but red state uneducated white women? Disappointing.

Bolded my addition, since it seems education tends to favor those in the Democratic side; it's almost like if you're taught to look at things from a larger perspective and critically analyze it, you see most Rep's blowin' smoke up the poor folks asses

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Decency prevails. For now.

Flake's 100 dollar check pushed the D's over the threshold! :)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So, drain that fuckin' swamp, amirite boys?!? :lol:

Two quick take-aways from my perspective:

1) The GOP tax cut bill is still more likely than not to pass... But, the urgency just picked up significantly. With Collins increasingly likely to be a no, if they can't shove a committee bill through both chambers before Jones is seated, then this is extremely likely to die in the Senate.

2) Trump came out of this looking extremely bad. He initially endorsed Strange, sort of hemmed and hawed about maybe picking the wrong guy in campaign events in the closing days of the primary, and then after the pedophilia allegations broke, at Bannon's urging first painted this as an issue that was up to Alabama voters, and not the national GOP, to judge, and then in the closing days made a full-throated endorsement of Moore... until this morning, when he said that Moore's loss meant he was right all along when he said Moore couldn't win in Alabama. In doing so, he cost the GOP half of their Senate majority, and probably killed the prospects of any other part of the GOP agenda that was at ALL controversial within the party from advancing. I think if you're handicapping the odds of a Trump impeachment, you have to think they've risen perceptibly in the past 24 hours.

Decency prevails. For now.

Flake's 100 dollar check pushed the D's over the threshold! :)
I think Richard Shelby, the other AL senator, publicly saying in an interview a few days before the election that he wasn't voting for more, but instead writing in the name of "a distinguished Republican" instead, certaintly didn't hurt - the percentage of write-in votes was off the charts for a Senate race, and larger than Jones' margin of victory.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Actually, what kind of rubbed me even more wrong was the wording, she didn't say their lawyer was "Jewish," she said "one of our lawyers is a Jew." Something about the wording of that seems to make it more dastardly to me. "One of" them is "a Jew." At least she didn't use a racial slur, but it's about one step away from that. Imagine how much worse Moore's wife could have said if he married someone the age he preferred instead of someone only 14 years younger than him.

The comments about patronage of a brother that was involved in trafficking underage girls, and then subtly implying that is so much better than anything involving relations between consenting individuals who happen to have the same sort of naughty bits, just makes me want to punch something, and I'm not at all a violent guy, typically.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, so glad this turned out right. I was really worried up until this morning, not because I want more democrats in office (which I'll take right now), but because it restores a little of my faith in humanity to make decisions that aren't absolutely horrible.

Yeah, I can't tell if it's worse that she called him a Jew, or that she even knew his religion. When she said it, though, I would have paid good money for someone to ask, "Is he going to Hell? I mean, as a Jew, he hasn't accepted Jesus as his savior, so is your lawyer going to Hell?"

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/14/politics/roy-moore-video-ballots/index.html

Moore is refusing to concede. The Secretary of State of Alabama (who supported Moore and is a Republican) has told the media that there is really no way Doug Jones's victory would be upended by any provisional ballot counts.

But yeah, by all means, count all of the votes.

It's just that the tone of his message seems not to be so much "let's count the votes," as much as it is "This can't be! I am God's chosen one!"

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/14/politics/roy-moore-video-ballots/index.html

Moore is refusing to concede. The Secretary of State of Alabama (who supported Moore and is a Republican) has told the media that there is really no way Doug Jones's victory would be upended by any provisional ballot counts.

It's just that the tone of his message seems not to be so much "let's count the votes," as much as it is "This can't be! I am God's chosen one!"
That and stall just in case the tax bill gets delayed, to delay Jones joining the Senate as long as possible, yes.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...

Worth noting... under state law, Moore cannot get a recount, even if he pays for it himself, because US senator is one of the offices specifically exempted from being eligible for a recount by the state.

Game over.

Last edited by a moderator:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely. I think Moore is really just trying to make something of all the media attention he received. I don't think he realizes that almost all of the attention he received in the national news was highly negative, or maybe he knows but doesn't care for some even more silly reason.