Downstroke fingerpicking

• Thread starter Crocus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crocus

Reaction score
Considering that regular fingerpicking is an upstroke for IMAC fingers, I'd like to know if there's a specific term for downpicking and who's using it.

So far the difference is similar to plectrum up/downpicking but is more drastic due to fingernail shape. Here's a slowmo to illustrate the idea, the downstrokes are followed by the upstrokes.

It looks like clawhammer picking is a related concept but it doesn't promote finger independency and is allowed to be sloppy based on the context of its usage.

penguin_316

Reaction score
Just seems like a much more limited movement, and contrary to the motion our fingers excel at doing. See how fast you can extend your fingers individually from a clawed hand position….compared to the opposite motion starting with a flat hand.

Having said that, in flamenco they do rasguedo(spelling?) which is basically this motion but arpeggiating all the strings with each finger.

Gtan7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You're describing clawhammer banjo picking or the flamenco rasgueado or maybe the way Joni Mitchell strummed in the Shadows and Light vids with Jaco, Metheny, Michael Brecker et al. You can also get sort of a pinch harmonic with your thumbnail upstroking. Clawhammer banjo is a really unique tone which I haven't gotten too good at, just very awkward motion, the downstroke and thumb catch, so I'll keep practicing pedal steel isntead

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Latest posts