Dream Theater

Lukhas

Reaction score
It always puzzles me why prog metalheads seem to immediately critique and comment about the mix rather than the actual song.
Because no one or at least, very few doubt that Dream Theater will release a solid song for the first single of their newest record, no matter anyone's opinion of the contents of the eventual album.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Genome

Reaction score
Because no one or at least, very few doubt that Dream Theater will release a solid song for the first single of their newest record, no matter anyone's opinion of the contents of the eventual album.

I'm not complaining as such. I just find it a little funny (hell, I've probably been guilty of it in the past).

I can understand it when there's obvious production problems that are affecting the impact of the song, but a lot of it is very nitpicky. It must be frustrating for the band, to work in the studio for a few months writing music that they're proud of, only for the YouTube comments to be full of people arguing whether there's enough 3.2k in the guitars

Lukhas

Reaction score
In which JP, James and Jordan discuss Untethered Angel.

I'm not complaining as such. I just find it a little funny (hell, I've probably been guilty of it in the past).

I can understand it when there's obvious production problems that are affecting the impact of the song, but a lot of it is very nitpicky. It must be frustrating for the band, to work in the studio for a few months writing music that they're proud of, only for the YouTube comments to be full of people arguing whether there's enough 3.2k in the guitars
I'd dare to think that they're used to it. :lol: Dream Theater, by its progressive and shredtastic nature always attract a lot of different opinions, very critical (as in "accurate", "precise", not necessarily "negative") ones as well. Sometimes the most technically and compositionally complicated music will be labelled as "music for musicians", as mostly "trained ears" will appreciate the finer details of the music; in a sense you get used to music, in general. As such, you're going to hear critics from other musicians if they're the ones who listen to your work. I think it was Misha Mansoor who, at a Q&A before a show, asked the audience to raise their hands if they played an instrument... and I think he said it was grossly 9 out of 10 members of the audience.

That said, my mom thought that The Astonishing was amazing... even though Images and Words is still her favourite album of theirs. She doesn't play an instrument nor has musical training; she doesn't even like Metal. :rofl:

Last edited:

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I'm really liking the song itself, and Petrucci is flawless in both playing and writing as always, but man, LaBrie is sounding whinier and whinier with every album. Dream Theater could be on a completely new level with a better singer, but I doubt the band is going to kick LaBrie and he's only going to leave voluntarily.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Hell, if anyone brings up AJFA at any point in any discussion, you can bet that on the same page someone will comment about the bass. On a record that is friggin 30 years old at this point.

Except every single instrument on AJFA sounds like complete garbage, not just the bass :deadhrse:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It always puzzles me why prog metalheads seem to immediately critique and comment about the mix rather than the actual song.

Does this happen in other genres? Do you get Skrillex fans debating whether his bass wubs enough in the 100hz region?

I'm pretty sure you'll have a bigger ratio of prog metal fans that are musicians, engineers, and producers than you will dubstep fans.

Also this forum is a huge group of musicians, so yeah. :lol:

Except every single instrument on AJFA sounds like complete garbage, not just the bass :deadhrse:

Sucks because judging by the separate stems you can find online, the bass in AJFA sounds monstrous.

A-Branger

Reaction score

fucking acronymous.... what album is that again?. Even as a long time fan I cant figure it out all the album names by stupid acronymous... Is it that hard to write a name these days?

I have the spotify page open... theres no album with that... So are we talking about a song?.... f me, I know a lot of their songs by name, but cant for the love of anything remember or figure it out what some that letters belong to

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
fucking acronymous.... what album is that again?. Even as a long time fan I cant figure it out all the album names by stupid acronymous... Is it that hard to write a name these days?

I have the spotify page open... theres no album with that... So are we talking about a song?.... f me, I know a lot of their songs by name, but cant for the love of anything remember or figure it out what some that letters belong to

They're referring to Metallica's album "And Justice For All". :lol:

thedonal

Reaction score
Jesus. I'm not watching a video of Dream Theater talking about each track of the new album we haven't heard.

They are trying too hard on the teasing buildup. We never used to need this*. That sort of shit is for the bonus disc of the album so we can look at it afterwards.

What has this world come to?**

*Edit- we don't need it now!

**answers on a postcard please to the above address

Exchanger

Reaction score

It's for one because the standard has been set very high, by past albums, and secondly by other bands who don't even have a 10th of DT's budget. And in this case, I do think it ruins the song a bit.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
In watching the playthrough video for the new song I'm struck by how damn clean 'Trucch's picking technique looks. This is in stark contrast to how he's looked a little less disciplined live over the past 5 or so years. Not that he isn't playing well most of the time, but there's a noticeable difference in arm motion that he's been using live vs the very strict picking he's showcasing here.

Seems like the guy really does still dial that wrist motion in for the studio sessions and is still at the top of his game when he wants to put in the time.

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
Been giving the new song some time to sink in. I wasn't too hyped on the first listen, but tbh now it gets me pretty pumped. Definitely a grower, very ToT-esque.