Dream Theater

electriceye

Reaction score
So, I'm issuing a mea culpa here. I HATED (HATED!!!!!!) the last DT album. The one prior wasn't all that great either. But this new track CRUSHES. I swore off buying any more of their albums after the last debacle, but looks like I was wrong. I hope the rest of the album is this strong.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar4tw

Reaction score
Untethered Angel was decent at best in my opinion. I was pretty let down as it made me feel that the Dream Theater of old truly is dead, and that they're just going to continue going down "cheese-road" for yet another album. But, this new track was a pleasant surprise, and gives me some hope for this upcoming album.

That opening old-school riff with that classic Mesa Boogie "muscle car roar"-tone really brought a smile to my face. :)

Last edited:

A-Branger

Reaction score
Awesome track, loving it!

I'm so glad the band is acknowledging Myung still exists. :lol: His bass tone crushes when you can actually hear him.
:lol::lol::lol: as a long time DT fan and bass player, I have been saying this for as long as I remember..... Soo many little things he does that goes un-noticed, and many fail to accurate transcribe them on tabs, yet they are perfectly able to tab 10237091 sweet picks at 238409284 BPM of petrucci..... but that 2 notes fill the bass does in the second chorus?.... naaah "just play the rooth mate"

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
"Untethered Angel" did absolutely nothing for me, so I went into "Fall Into the Light" expecting it to be completely forgettable. Lo and behold, I'm pleasantly surprised. I don't think the verses and chorus were anything special, but they were at least decent. The solo section though, definitely enjoyed that. It reminded me of the ending from "My Negation" by Dark Tranquillity (heh, another DT band). And that ending run sounded straight out of "In the Name of God."

ddtonfire

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm trying to make transcribing my main career. Looking forward to sharing many projects this year.

See if you can get in touch with Jordan Baker or Ryan Maziarz, they're both outstanding pro transcribers.

Evan89

Reaction score
See if you can get in touch with Jordan Baker or Ryan Maziarz, they're both outstanding pro transcribers.
I have actually have been emailing with Ryan for a few weeks. I appreciate how they've done the DT tab books, using the isolated guitar tracks and working directly with JP. That's inspired me to take a similar approach with more of my favorite bands. My first official book will be out soon, for Cynic's debut album, Focus. Here's the thread if you're interested: http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/...ab-book-coming-soon-transcribed-by-me.333335/

ddtonfire

Reaction score
I have actually have been emailing with Ryan for a few weeks. I appreciate how they've done the DT tab books, using the isolated guitar tracks and working directly with JP. That's inspired me to take a similar approach with more of my favorite bands. My first official book will be out soon, for Cynic's debut album, Focus. Here's the thread if you're interested: http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/...ab-book-coming-soon-transcribed-by-me.333335/

Awesome man, that's super exciting.

wankerness

Reaction score
Awesome track, loving it!

:lol::lol::lol: as a long time DT fan and bass player, I have been saying this for as long as I remember..... Soo many little things he does that goes un-noticed, and many fail to accurate transcribe them on tabs, yet they are perfectly able to tab 10237091 sweet picks at 238409284 BPM of petrucci..... but that 2 notes fill the bass does in the second chorus?.... naaah "just play the rooth mate"

YEP, bass tabs are almost universally terrible even on good guitar tabs, it’s like most guitar players can’t even hear them. So frustrating, it’s like they just put down the root notes and call it a day. I was always sure to put a ton of time in on the bass tracks back in the day when I did all those Opeth songs, but it seemed like almost everyone that did them after me just gave up.

It didn’t help that when everyone switched to GUitar Pro it became much more difficult to do bass fills due to Guitar Pro’s fascist requirement of locking the bass score to the guitar score. Ex, guitar plays same thing four times, you put in a repeat 4x, you then go to work on the bass score and find they do a different fill every time, you then have to either not transcribe them or go back to the guitar score and just write out the same thing four times in a row to allow you to put those bass fills in. Stupid.

/rant

People say Myung can’t be heard, but I find that even on albums where he’s quiet they still mixed it in such a way that you can hear everything he does if you know how to listen for it. It’s not like many rock/metal mixes where the bass is inaudible as anything other than low frequencies, there’s always been a clear separation.

ddtonfire

Reaction score
YEP, bass tabs are almost universally terrible even on good guitar tabs...

People say Myung can’t be heard, but I find that even on albums where he’s quiet they still mixed it in such a way that you can hear everything he does if you know how to listen for it.

That was the nice thing about Powertabs, having the separate bass sections. Too bad that whole community died with the publishers going after PTA. It was always a fun challenge to actually figure out what bass was doing down there when I was transcribing, and the result was often surprising.

Anyways, back onto the subject - when people say Myung can't be heard, they're wanting to hear DT sound exactly like Rush, where the bass has a lot of mids and treble, too. DT is more like a Metallica in their sound (and Rush in their composition), where the function of the bass is to add, well, the base to thick guitars - so more like an extension of the guitars downward. I think they nailed it with these latest tracks - bass is prominent enough to distinguish, and perfectly supports the heavy guitars.

I suspect that would have to be a conscious decision on JP's part as the producer, because previously he didn't want to give up any of his frequency space, and it was too guitar-dominant. It's much more balanced now - you can hear each element clearly.

Reactions: fps