Dream Theater

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Well, you may be right. I think that there's a fine line to walk between boring people with the same riffs and song ideas on one side and changing the direction of the band on the other side.

If we are being honest, Images and Words is, by far, their most "different" album. They sound like a totally different band on that album than they do on the rest. Even their debut album, with a different singer, at least to me, sounds more akin to DT nowadays than I&W. And I love I&W, but it's more, umm, eclectic. They haven't done any other songs like "Another Day" or "Surrounded." "Learning to Live" is an awesome song, but way more a prog song with elements of metal than a prog metal song, if you know what I mean. Even "Pull Me Under" is pretty unlike their more current stuff.

I think this is why I could never go in on DT the same as others. I&W is their only album I actually enjoy listening to, and a lot of tunes have that feeling of a metal section vs a metal band playing other sections.

Karnivool are probably a good reference, they don't sound like they are a heavy progressive group unless they want you to. DT hit you over the head with it

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score

Ok I never thought I needed Devin singing DT songs, but here we are.

Damn. First DT tour in like 15 years I'll be missing. I guess it's okay to get married instead. I'll take a whole album of Devin on DT vocals.

I do think LaBrie has been fine the past couple times I saw them. Honestly, is anyone seeing DT for the vocals?

Last edited:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I’ve been on the fence about going to see them down here in Hollywood. When I saw AIC at the Hard Rock it was so fucking quiet I couldn’t hear the band over people talking, I dozed off a couple times because it was like being in my living room. Friends told me Metallica was normal concert volume, but they were also right at the front of the stage for that.

DT hasn’t been down here since ‘03 with Ryche, which is the last time I saw them live. I want to support them coming down here and have been going to shows of bands I’m not even a huge fan of just to support bands coming down here, but when I first saw ticket prices I laughed. It was $100 for nosebleed seats, without fees.

I just checked again and now it’s $55 for seats in the middle of the arena on the floor, those were all $125-$150 when I first looked. Someone on Reddit posted screenshots of seat availability at a bunch of upcoming shows and it was looking grim, tons of unsold seats. I’m guessing they dropped prices when tickets were moving fast enough.

I’m guessing they figured this package would be enough of a push to get into arenas, which is crazy to think that a band I first saw at Irving Plaza is now playing and it’s awesome to see them make the attempt to get into bigger venues, I’m just not sure the economy is going to work along with that right now.

Evan89

Reaction score
In celebration of the 14th anniversary of the release of Black Clouds & Silver Linings (and coincidentally, my birthday), here's my gift to you all:

As with all of my previous DT tabs, just email me though my website to get the free tabs for the full album:

Lukhas

Reaction score

Ok I never thought I needed Devin singing DT songs, but here we are.

Slightly longer with the intro. Didn't think that would even work either, Devin's a great singer but he has a quite different voice type from Labrie's.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Lyrics look like something I would have written when I was 15. Drums sound great, though.

Man, everyone who has played in DT just needs to have Myung write the lyrics. Portnoy, Petrucci, Mangini…..they can practically be interchangeable with cringe inducing lyrics.

I liked the chorus riff in here, but those lyrics and vocals were enough to never want to hear it again. Sorry Mike, I’ll check out the album but phew.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I think if you are a guitar player Dream Theater is awesome. The vocals/lyrics are not the strong point

The earlier albums were great, in my opinion. Kevin Moore was a brilliant lyricist, and Awake is a particularly good. Though things remained decent after his departure and it wasn't until Systematic Chaos that things started to drift, lyrically, in my opinion.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
In celebration of the 14th anniversary of the release of Black Clouds & Silver Linings (and coincidentally, my birthday), here's my gift to you all:

As with all of my previous DT tabs, just email me though my website to get the free tabs for the full album:

I unashamedly love this song. So goofy, so good.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I've never really understood why people find it goofy. Not the most poetic lyrics they've ever had, but it does a good job conveying the story imo
Because the story is unbelievably goofy. Sets up like gothic horror, turns into "this was all a misunderstanding lol".

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
^ Lyrics aside it's a really good song though. I don't mind the story being goofy either since I don't generally pay much attention to lyrics anyway, especially in Dream Theater songs. I'm happy as long as it fits the music, and the chorus is pretty catchy too (yes, cheesy also).

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A nice prog song to me with references to some trips in countries where I was not always in comfortable situation (some suburbs in St Petersburg, a weird night in Hamburg, another one in Budapest, incredible meetings in n Istanbul…).

One of my favorite of the album.

By the way, the old style you can listen at on the Images and words : Take the time extended solo in Lost but not forgotten is a masterpiece. My favorite period.