Drop A tuning. how do i do it?

• Thread starter Whitechapel7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whitechapel7

Reaction score
hey guys,

i am a little new to seven strings, i was wondering how i can tune to Drop A like Whitechapel and Suicide Silence, ive tried WAY too many times and it sounds off. Thank you all

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
Drop A tuning... how the fuck does it work?

Seriously though assuming that you are playing a 7 is that the tuning you're after will be as follows: A E A D F# B e. If you're in standard 7 string tuning (B E A D G B e) then you'll need to tune your low B string down a full step and your G string down a half step, just use a good chromatic tuner and you're ready to roll.

heilarkyguitar

Brown note
Reaction score

Seriously though assuming that you are playing a 7 is that the tuning you're after will be as follows: A E A D F# B e. If you're in standard 7 string tuning (B E A D G B e) then you'll need to tune your low B string down a full step and your G string down a half step, just use a good chromatic tuner and you're ready to roll.
Why would you change the g to a f#?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score

This.

But if you're confused by talking about steps and whatnot, assuming you're playing a seven string in standard tuning, tune your low B string to match your (5th) A string.

heilarkyguitar

Brown note
Reaction score
This.

But if you're confused by talking about steps and whatnot, assuming you're playing a seven string in standard tuning, tune your low B string to match your (5th) A string.
Thats all i do For a drop a w/ a seven. =AEADGBE . Personly the g to F# , I dont see the reason for it. Maybe someone will tell me that.

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
Thats all i do For a drop a w/ a seven. =AEADGBE . Personly the g to F# , I dont see the reason for it. Maybe someone will tell me that.

The OP said he likes to play stuff like Whitechapel and Suicide Silence and that is the tuning they use, they tune their G down a half step to F#

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score

Say you tuned a 6 string to drop A, it would be AEADF#B. Now say you start playing a 7 and want to keep your tuning but add a high string... then it would be AEADF#BE.

It changes where the third is.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The OP said he likes to play stuff like Whitechapel and Suicide Silence and that is the tuning they use, they tune their G down a half step to F#

Where have you seen this? Anything I've ever seen from them says they tune to AEADBGE.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
Where have you seen this? Anything I've ever seen from them says they tune to AEADBGE.

:agreed:

Only band I know that plays in drop A with an f# on a 7 is Volumes, but Whitechapel and Suicide Silence = regular drop A on a 7.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
i think the OP might be referring to drop A simply sounding off-tune. if so, then try this:

i never rely on the tuner for tuning to anything below D or Db, since it will sound slightly out of tune. as you tune lower, it will become even more notable.

here's what works for me: tune all the higher strings and then your low A by ear. i find this to work much better than relying on the tuner for the low string.

and no, it's not an issue of the tuner(s) i'm using. the tuner on my axefx, korg pitchblack, rackmount tuners, or any plugin i've tried shows the same weakness.

garza

Reaction score
hey guys,

i am a little new to seven strings, i was wondering how i can tune to Drop A like Whitechapel and Suicide Silence, ive tried WAY too many times and it sounds off. Thank you all

What's your guitar and rig looking like?