Drop C and B on a 7 string

• Thread starter The McThief
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The McThief

The Boss Man
Reaction score
So I don't have a 7 string quite yet, but I want to know, when you guys go into drop c or b on a 7, is it better to tune up or down? Tuning down 5 steps to drop b sounds like more of a pain then tuning 1/2 step up to get into drop b, and same for drop c.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AzzMan

Reaction score
You can't reliably tune down that far on a 7 string, you run into tension issues unless you have some absurd extended scale, and most guitars will just fart out bass notes. Why do you really need to go below E, or D? Tuning up a step to B or a step and a half to C is better, and it kind of goes better with the idea of extended range and what it can be used for (EBADGBE, or something absurd like F#C#BEAC#F#).

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
So I don't have a 7 string quite yet, but I want to know, when you guys go into drop c or b on a 7, is it better to tune up or down? Tuning down 5 steps to drop b sounds like more of a pain then tuning 1/2 step up to get into drop b, and same for drop c.

I personally tune Up to Drop B, Drop C, and Drop C# on my 7.

I use Daddario 10-52s for the bottom 6 string + a 007 for the high G# and G.

For drop B I use a 11-52 set and a 008.

The McThief

The Boss Man
Reaction score
You can't reliably tune down that far on a 7 string, you run into tension issues unless you have some absurd extended scale, and most guitars will just fart out bass notes. Why do you really need to go below E, or D? Tuning up a step to B or a step and a half to C is better, and it kind of goes better with the idea of extended range and what it can be used for (EBADGBE, or something absurd like F#C#BEAC#F#).
Yeah man I was thinking the same, but I still wasn't quite sure. Thanks for the help though, man.
I personally tune Up to Drop B, Drop C, and Drop C# on my 7.

I use Daddario 10-52s for the bottom 6 string + a 007 for the high G# and G.

For drop B I use a 11-52 set and a 008.
ahh sweet thanks for the info

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score

ASP tunes to Drop B upwards. The practicality of such a low string, especially on a standard scale, would just be a bit too far for the typical guitar and pickups to handle.

The McThief

The Boss Man
Reaction score

ASP tunes to Drop B upwards. The practicality of such a low string, especially on a standard scale, would just be a bit too far for the typical guitar and pickups to handle.

If ASP does it, then it's gotta be right! Haha I love that band :D

K-Roll

Reaction score
i see 99% of the time using a 6 string with standard 25.5 scale tuned down to drop C or B and suddenly you should not tune a 7 string down to such lower tunings cause it will fart? it doesn't make sense
firts of all - if I buy a 7 string i buy it to use it's concept - which means, I buy it cause i need a BEADGBE tuning or anything that will profit from using 7 strings
If i need to use various tunings, i need various guitars, simple :)
If I only have a 7 string and need to use a drop C tuning, I'd just go downtune the 6 strings to usual CFCFAD and I'd tune the upper string down to some double dropped..

Dimensionator

I Am Error
Reaction score
I have the same question as the OP, and I think I would tune up a step for drop B/half step up for Drop Bb (so that it becomes B F# B E G# C# F# but drop B is the extent I would go to. for drop C onwards, however, I'd tune the regular six strings down and the low B to an appropiate note.
Example: BEADGBE becomes GCGCFAD (it actually gets close to Open C)

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
It depends on how you want to realize drop B and Drop C on a seven.

Do you want drop B/C like on a six plus an additional lower string or with B/C as the lowest note, plus a higher string?

Drop C on a six is (low-high) CGCFAC, do you want the seven to have GCGCFAC(extra lower string) or CGCFACF(extra higher string). Same with drop B, do you want F#BF#BEG#C(extra lower string)# or BF#BEG#C#F#(extra higher string) ?

Fionn

Reaction score
i see 99% of the time using a 6 string with standard 25.5 scale tuned down to drop C or B and suddenly you should not tune a 7 string down to such lower tunings cause it will fart? it doesn't make sense
firts of all - if I buy a 7 string i buy it to use it's concept - which means, I buy it cause i need a BEADGBE tuning or anything that will profit from using 7 strings
If i need to use various tunings, i need various guitars, simple :)
If I only have a 7 string and need to use a drop C tuning, I'd just go downtune the 6 strings to usual CFCFAD and I'd tune the upper string down to some double dropped..

You are confused, tuning DOWN to drop b means to the octave below that at which a 7 is tuned to when in standard tuning, an 8 is f# which is above the drop b (down) the OP was asking about. A 6 tuned to drop b is the same as tuning a 7 UP a tone to c and then droping the c to a b, personally I tune to c standard and drop b flat, perfecto!

The McThief

The Boss Man
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;2234785 said:
It depends on how you want to realize drop B and Drop C on a seven.

Do you want drop B/C like on a six plus an additional lower string or with B/C as the lowest note, plus a higher string?

Drop C on a six is (low-high) CGCFAC, do you want the seven to have GCGCFAC(extra lower string) or CGCFACF(extra higher string). Same with drop B, do you want F#BF#BEG#C(extra lower string)# or BF#BEG#C#F#(extra higher string) ?

I want an extra higher one so I can do the chugga chugga on the 7th string.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
I tune to Drop C with a low G(GCGCFAD) on my 25.5" scale 7 string, i use a 10-52 + .60 set of strings and everything is grand as far as tension and sound goes?

JonnyDeath

Reaction score
Bottom line is the heavy the 7th string is, the lower you can get away with tuning it.
The fart claim is a bit accurate though, there are keys it is just going to be rattling flabby useless sound.

Latest posts