Drop F on a 28" scale 6 string

Sam R

Reaction score
Anyone else tuning to G/Drop F on a 6? I'm not much of an 8 string player (I will be, don't you worry) but I do a fair bit in that range on baritone 6's and 7's. Just wondering what string gauges you guys tend to throw on a low F on a 28in scale.

Here's a link to a song in F my band threw out recently. Recorded on an Ibanez RGIB6 (6-string) with a Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient set (the Nazgul is now a DiMarzio Titan, which I like a lot better). I believe I was running a 72 on the low F but it was a bit floppy. Might move to something closer to an 80.

indreku

Reaction score
Hi, to a fellow baritone lover
I run a Drop G on a 27 and 27,7 Fanned Fret guitar with a custom 13-75 set.
Works well for me, I belive that this set could be set to Drop F as well

akinari

Reaction score
I figure an 82 would feel just about perfect. Maybe an 84 if there's still a bit too much wiggle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I regularly tune to G standard/dropped F/F standard on my 28” Les Paul baritone. I use either a 74 or 80, but I’ve found that a 68/70 works really well for staying in G standard for an extended chunk of time.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
My Jackson 8 string has a 28" scale and I tune to F.

I am ordering strings for it finally, and I decided on a 9/80 set.

I have an 80 on my RG8 which is 27" scale, tuned to F as well and it's great, but I could use just a tiny bit more tension.