Drum Machine

• Thread starter JJ Rodriguez
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been looking at drum machines for me and my bass player while I get my drum chops up. I have a question on programming hardware ones: Anyone know if there's software to program drum machines? Or if there are any hardware drum machines that you can plug in USB and program that way? I don't think I want to sit there and press buttons on this thing. I can program patterns and songs in software drum machines, so I'd rather just go the software route, but I can't jam with a couple people in front of my computer :lol: I've been looking at the Alesis SR-16, and it has MIDI in/out. I think the MIDI is for backing it up, and for using it to expand an electronic drum kit which is kind of cool since I have one, but I can't find anything about receiving a sysex dump and editing the patterns/songs on the unit itself and putting it back on to it. Anyone have any experience with hardware drum machines? I did find this software, but the guy is speaking fucking Greek to me, and the language he's using sounds kind of sketchy.

MIDI Drum Machine Midi Software For Windows XP Windows 2000 Windows 2003

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cadenhead

Get Some!
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I think most of the new ones come with software. Or at least you can use a cheap software drum machine and export the midi files to the hardware.

I guess I'm not much help here as I've never used a hardware drum machine.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
I kick it old school.

top_M.jpg

That was one of the best gear purchases ever for me. It absolutely improved my songwriting & musicianship.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
But I want to play some brutal death metal and a bunch of off time shit. I have an easier time I think with programming patterns on a PC, or exporting drum patterns out of Guitar Pro midi files. But theoretically since you can get it to trigger shit on your PC, I could dump MIDI files from my PC on to it and have it play those (away from the computer)?

Demeyes

Reaction score
Why don't you just use a computer program and use that to jam? Burn your file off to a cd or mp3 player and play that through a sound system to play along with. I've jammed with a laptop through a pa and it was grand.
I'd say with a hardware unit you might end up complicating things more.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Because midi on my computer sounds like ass. I've tried getting all that drum kit from hell shit but that shit is too complicated for me, and I'm a computer guy and generally don't have problems with software...

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Because midi on my computer sounds like ass. I've tried getting all that drum kit from hell shit but that shit is too complicated for me, and I'm a computer guy and generally don't have problems with software...

Acoustica Beat Craft.

Sounds better than midi. Plus it's easy as hell to program.

I've used it many times to make jam tracks, as it's easier to use than DFH + Cubase.

I Have a cd with diffrent songs programmed on it so that I can just pop it in and have a backtrack.

Download the trial and give it a shot. The interface is really straight forward. :agreed:

It may not sound as good as the DFH, but the ease of use makes it perfect.

Demeyes

Reaction score
I've messed abit with Fruity Loops and find it fairly easy. If you look around it you can get some fine samples for metal. I've never tried the EZdrummer stuff but its supposed to be great though tricky like you said. Its too expensive for me though.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I've messed abit with Fruity Loops and find it fairly easy. If you look around it you can get some fine samples for metal. I've never tried the EZdrummer stuff but its supposed to be great though tricky like you said. Its too expensive for me though.

Not if you know where to look :lol:

morbid_Icon

Reaction score
My band has no drummer just an roland MC 808 and a few samplers. Buy a hardware drum machine li the boss dr 880, but if that is too much go with a dr 670, still too much then a alessis sr-16 would be the way to go. I use a dr880 for fills and it is great 128 bits of polifany is better that cd quality and all you need is a home stero with rca inputs

hope I helped

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad people are responding to me, but does anyone know of any software programmable hardware drum machines? :lol:

morbid_Icon

Reaction score
I'm glad people are responding to me, but does anyone know of any software programmable hardware drum machines? :lol:

Any good "drum machine" is going to have editor software. But if you are worried about having trouble programing it, you wont. most interfaces are easy to understand.

most of the editor software still will not let you map out a beat 100%,