Dual Rectifier Head With Line 6 Cab?

• Thread starter Korngod
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Korngod

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Contributor
Reaction score
Im thinking of buying a dual rectifier... but im finding out that Ohms can vary between cabs and heads... (or somethin to that effect..)

i guess to make things simple, my question is..

would a dual rectifier be fine with a line 6 spider ii 4x12?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I would highly recommend getting a different cabinet. The speakers are not designed to handle the kind of power and tone that a Dual Rectifier would bring. It may technically work but it would be doing your Mesa a really huge disservice. I'd recommend selling the cab and trying to find a cheap better cab on craigslist or something. I can recommend something based on your price range.

Just being honest with you, there's not much of a point to getting a Dual Rec if you can't get a decent cab with it. Now, if you're just asking because you need to know if it'll at least work temporarily, then yeah it should. Mesa's seem to favor 8ohm cabs for what it's worth.

Korngod

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, i would use it only temporarily, i would really want to just go with an actual rectifier cab, but getting that and the head both is out of my budget, i have around $1000 and i assume thats cutting it close getting the head as it is.

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
Cutting it close? The head is $1700, unless you're talking about used...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Even used you won't likely be able to get one for under $1000. If I were you I'd get a used 5150 and then use the rest of the money to get or save up for a better cab.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Buy one of these cabs loaded with Classic Lead 80's: New Page 1

Sell your Spider II cab for whatever you can get out of it and throw in the extra to get this. It's a very well made clone of an Orange cab and they sound awesome!!! With the CL80's it will sound very close to a Recto cab if not better IMO.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
Buy one of these cabs loaded with Classic Lead 80's: New Page 1

Sell your Spider II cab for whatever you can get out of it and throw in the extra to get this. It's a very well made clone of an Orange cab and they sound awesome!!! With the CL80's it will sound very close to a Recto cab if not better IMO.

:agreed:

there's no point in running a better head through that cab. Sell the whole half-stack and get a decent cab and head. It should be doable for your 1000$ plus what you'll get out the sale

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's my understanding that Line 6 cabs are designed to be somewhat tonally neutral, so they don't colour the sound of the amp models (and speaker cab models) too much. This might not make them a good match for other amps that have a lot of character.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's my understanding that Line 6 cabs are designed to be somewhat tonally neutral, so they don't colour the sound of the amp models (and speaker cab models) too much. This might not make them a good match for other amps that have a lot of character.

Tis true. They're basically full range PA speakers and they sound like utter shit with a non-modelling amp.

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
Tis true. They're basically full range PA speakers and they sound like utter shit with a non-modelling amp.

Tis true. I ran a number of heads(jsx, 5150II, JCM2000) through the vetta cab and they all sounded like the speakers were made of labial puss cheese. :noway:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
it´s basically like plugging a distortion pedal directly into pc speakers... any incredible amp sounds like utter shit without a cab...

if you can´t get a full mesa cab, you could always go for a smaller cab, or some other brand cab... i´m getting an Engl cab myself, and i know it´s not the best out there, but it´s the best i can muster, for a good price, and it´s seriously 10 000 times better than anything i´ve ever owned sound-wise... so i´d say either get a 2X12 mesa cab, or get a cab from another brand.

and about the Ohms, you´ll want something with 16 Ohms, which is pretty much the standard out there... just snoop around and check out the specs of the cabs you wanna get :)

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I would highly recommend getting a different cabinet. The speakers are not designed to handle the kind of power and tone that a Dual Rectifier would bring. It may technically work but it would be doing your Mesa a really huge disservice. I'd recommend selling the cab and trying to find a cheap better cab on craigslist or something. I can recommend something based on your price range.

Just being honest with you, there's not much of a point to getting a Dual Rec if you can't get a decent cab with it. Now, if you're just asking because you need to know if it'll at least work temporarily, then yeah it should. Mesa's seem to favor 8ohm cabs for what it's worth.

I don't think there would be a problem with the amp blowing the speakers in the cab, but those speakers are designed to be EQ neutral. This works great when running cabinet emulation, but it sounds lifeless with a real amp.

drenzium

Reaction score
zimbloth said:
I don't think there would be a problem with the amp blowing the speakers in the cab, but those speakers are designed to be EQ neutral. This works great when running cabinet emulation, but it sounds lifeless with a real amp.

they are not even talking about the cab, mang :nuts:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
they are not even talking about the cab, mang :nuts:

Maybe you should read the entire post before you attack me, ok? I was basically agreeing with everything he said but the power rating.

Korngod

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for all the input guys, im starting to feel like the halfstack will go... i dont use it a whole lot anyway.