Dubstep guitar pedal.

• Thread starter CAPTAIN SARG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
'Yeah, what I use here is a Moog MF-101 low-pass filter. I have a home-made LFO controlling the cut-off on the MF, so it opens and closes creating the womp-womp effect. The LFO has multiple speeds that I can switch between using the stomp-switch. I'm actually playing a guitar in this vid, using a Digitech Bass synth wah to get the lower octave and a Boss bass fuzz to give it some dirt. The MF is at the end of my signal chain.'

Interesting. The dubstep womp isnt rocket science, but it's cool to see it applied outside of Native Instruments Massive, haha.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a Vibrato/Tremelo pedal into a Moog (which I see).

:shrug:

EDIT: :ninja:'d

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
There are already a couple of more elegant solutions for playing live dubstep, one of which doesn't have issues with keeping in synch. The following is from this previous dubstep discussion here on SS.org:

A lot of people over at TalkBass have been extolling the HotHand/Bass Envelope filter combination from Source Audio. It's probably the easiest solution.

The reason the Hot Hand has been embraced by so many is that, in dubstep, the "wobble" is in multiples of the basic pulse.

So, any gear which has an internal LFO has to be synched up with that pulse, either by knowing the pulse at the outset (and hoping there won't be timing drift), or by having a click (MIDI or otherwise) and then a switchable multiplier (like the Iron Ether pedal).

The Bass Envelope Filter with the Hot Hand controller just requires someone to wiggle their thumb at the speed they want for the wobble. That's why it's beating down all challengers....

There's also the Iron Ether Bubble Chamber, similarly the focus of discussion over at TalkBass.

bubble_chamber_picture-1.jpg

From Eric at TalkBass:

I know it's not readily available (or at all), but I was tired of having scattered around information all over this site, trying to read up on the Bubble Chamber.

Now we have a place!

LFO
-speed knob
-depth knob
-waveform knob:

---sine
---triangle
---square
---ramp up
---ramp down
---hypertriangle
---inverted hypertriangle
---random steps (like the old sample+hold filter sound, robotalk, seek-wah, type stuff)

-multiplier knob: sets the relationship between taps and the speed of the LFO. This lets you tap on the quarter notes and get an LFO that is 4 times faster but still beat locked. Possible settings:
---1/2 time
---double time
---triplets
---double time triplets
---quadruple time

-Wave distortion knob: This lets you contort each waveform in interesting ways, and works differently on each wave. Lets you set duty cycle on the square wave, changes the spacing and "hardness" of each waveform

Filter section:
-cutoff frequency
-resonance
-envelope sensitivity
-envelope up/down sweep switch
-2-pole/4-pole switch

Pitch-tracking LFO: speeds up when you play a high note, slows down on low notes. Pitch-tracking LFO is separate from the main LFO, so you can have both happening simultaneously if you want max madness.
-pitch track knob: sets the base speed, which is then augmented by pitch control.

Expression jacks:
-multiplier: this is where the dubstep happens. This expression control lets you sweep through multipliers, just like the multiplier knob, except when you're doing it with your foot, it lets you change divisions of the beat while you're playing. It's like a speed control, except whether you speed up or slow down you stay locked in tempo. This works whether you set the speed with the speed knob or the tap switch
-cutoff frequency: for slow filter sweeps

-Tap tempo switch
-True bypass switch

All of the controllers can be used simultaneously (main LFO, pitch-tracking LFO, envelope, expression pedal).

Taylor Livingston at Iron Ether has been pretty open to ideas from TalkBass members, and I know that he's built a couple of one-offs here and there, so you might want to talk to him if you're looking for a custom implementation.

----

The Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter continues to have the best user control for the dubstep wobble live IMO....

Reaction score
Yeah my buddy has one of those hot hand things, it's pretty cool but he barely uses it anymore, I think he used it for maybe 6-12 hours before he got bored of it....maybe i'll borrow it Homer style (indefinately)

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
There's also a bit crusher pedal available which is capable of some really interesting sounds. Someone here uploaded a video of it ages ago, I really can't remember the details sadly, pretty sure the pedal was yellow and black with a radio active symbol on it.

I actually tried making some dubstep sound with my podx3 a while back, used a tremolo coupled with a bass synth and some distortion, there's also a good attack sensitive filter.

EDIT: here's one http://www.hexeguitar.com/pedals-bitcrush_e

EDIT #2: Now THIS is interesting, I have never seen someone build an OEM addon for the line6 dock before
http://redpandalab.com/products/tc-bitcrusher/

EDIT #3: THIS is the one! the guy who uploaded the video must have bought it off sevenstringsofhate.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ge...357-wmd-geiger-counter-bit-crusher-pedal.html

Shask

Reaction score
That is pretty cool, but I see how that could get pretty boring and annoying after awhile.

Same as a Whammy pedal I guess. I love that pedal, but it spends 98% of its life not hooked up because its' effect gets old quickly.

Exit Existence

Reaction score
d37d_yourock_midi_electric_guitar.jpg

Yourock Midiguitar > Midi out >Midi Interface on laptop
Use buttons on guitar to do program changes or actually program them into your live show automatically if you have a backing track thing set up.
Use "volumeknob" on guitar to control rate of wobbles in VST

Works epic I use mine all the time, I dont need a real guitar to make fake dubstep sounds. I use a fake guitar to make real dubstep sounds lol

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Can you post us a video? I've been thinking about getting one of these for ages.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
LFO controlling the Wah + pitch shift gets so close to the wob wob sound, ain't got any samples though

CAPTAIN SARG

Reaction score
The you rock guitar seems like a good idea I've watched a few videos on it and is good for making dub step with a guitar. But I'm looking for something in pedal form for a live situation. I want to be able to have a split signal from dry guitar and dub step guitar. Is there anything on the Axe fx like this. Say being able to make a patch that has an LFO and filter combined and controlled with an exp pedal?