Dune

• Thread starter StevenC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Merrekof

Reaction score
Oh boy! This is a remake I don't mind watching when it comes out

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
What’s Dune? Is it good? Should I read a book? Is it a remake? I’ve heard about it before.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dunno how I feel about this one. The original wasn't ....good. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either. I hope villeneuve just makes "his" movie the way he wants to and doesn't try to do any homages to the original. ....studio's will probably make him stick a lot of homages to the original in it though... they love doing that crap..

well if all else, it'll look pretty and probably have a nice score.

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've read the book, tried reading it a second time a while back but I couldn't get into it.
Looking forward to the movie though and I trust the director after he did Bladerunner 2049 :)

Merrekof

Reaction score
It is a book, turned into a movie back in the 80's (I think) with questionable special effects. Story was good, the movie was okay.
Now there is a remake with modern special effects and hopefully it will be a better movie.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've read the book, tried reading it a second time a while back but I couldn't get into it.
Some would say that it's a little...

...dry?

I am actually very much looking forward to the movie. I read the book when I was young and, while the David Lynch movie is kind of iffy, I did enjoy the Dune and Children of Dune SciFi miniseries. Plus, Villeneuve is definitely one of my favorite working directors. When I heard he was tackling Dune, I was definitely excited, especially after the cast was announced.

Last edited:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I am so fucking psyched. I can't lie - I haven't read the book, a travesty given how much it influenced the Warhammer 40k universe (which I love), but what Villeneuve did for Blade Runner 2049 was masterful, and I have very, very high hopes for this.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I’ve no idea what’s going on but I like what I see. I might read the book before it’s out since these giant stories often assume you’ve read the book.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Definitely read the book before seeing any of the movies if you can. I'd also really recommend reading at least one or two of the sequels, since they significantly change how you will see the overall story of Dune.

The miniseries did a better job of telling the story without the "WTF did I just watch?" factor that Lynch's film has (though I kindof love Lynch's film as its own weird entity).

All in all though, if you are at all interested in Science Fiction, getting very familiar with Dune will be well worth it, since it was so massively influential on *everything* that came after it.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I've said it before that Villeneuve the right person to direct this property, and he's had a solid track record so I'm really looking forward to this.

I'm one of those weirdos that started on the first Dune game on PC (before the RTS Dune 2), that told the story of the book (albeit heavily truncated) before reading the books then watching the David Lynch movie. Loved the game, loved the books (well until after God Emperor then he Frank Herbert lost me), and the Lynch movie while wasn't good at all, was at least some interesting fever dream kind of viewing. Notorious as the movie was, it's a small miracle the movie was made at all. Think of what it could've been....

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Sorry for the necrobump, but I just watched Dune (2021) last night, and it’s driving me nuts who this actor is. It’s the guy who went to ask the Sardaukars to help defeat Atreides. Help a brotha out and let me know who this is…
C732BC3B-CE82-4D44-9FD3-92711A544268.jpeg

Latest posts