EBMM Abasi Kaizen

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
It's pretty flat, high teens for sure. But it's not flat. The idea is that instead of the apex of the curve being down the middle of the board, it's along the treble edge. The effect is that it feels like the fretboard falls towards you.

Ah, I get it now. I was looking for fall-off from the centre of the fret.

I assume the fretboard is still canted in addition to the offset radius, given the difference in thickness between the two sides of the fretboard?

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Ah, I get it now. I was looking for fall-off from the centre of the fret.

I assume the fretboard is still canted in addition to the offset radius, given the difference in thickness between the two sides of the fretboard?
You're going to have to explain what you mean by canted in this situation.

I assume they fretboard thickness is where they're creating the angle towards the player. A traditional* fretboard would be thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, but nominally the same thickness. So on these guitars the treble edge should be noticeably thicker than the bass edge.

*most fretboards are slab fretboards, I'm not dealing with any pedants here

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

77zark77

Reaction score
Couldn't we have a serious discussion with conceptors ?
instead of stipulating on supposedly useful criteria?

This forum can afford the best placed for it, right?

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
You're going to have to explain what you mean by canted in this situation.

I assume they fretboard thickness is where they're creating the angle towards the player. A traditional* fretboard would be thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, but nominally the same thickness. So on these guitars the treble edge should be noticeably thicker than the bass edge.

*most fretboards are slab fretboards, I'm not dealing with any pedants here
'Canted' as in skewed or tilted to one side. There's a falloff to the the radius, which as previously discussed, looks relatively slight. So I assume in addition to this, they've canted the fretboard by cutting it like a wedge, where the treble side is thicker than the other.

It's either that, or the offset radius is responsible for the entire sloping effect. If that's the case, it really must be quite a bit more curved than it looks in the photos.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
'Canted' as in skewed or tilted to one side. There's a falloff to the the radius, which as previously discussed, looks relatively slight. So I assume in addition to this, they've canted the fretboard by cutting it like a wedge, where the treble side is thicker than the other.

It's either that, or the offset radius is responsible for the entire sloping effect. If that's the case, it really must be quite a bit more curved than it looks in the photos.
My understanding from holding it and playing it was that the neck before fretboard was basically as any other neck, and all the angling comes from the offset radius.

Of course, that's just to my eyes and I could easily be wrong. If they did anything more then they'd have to have angle the bridge and, since it's not recessed, the top surface of the body. And doing all that would just negate any additional angle from a wedge/trapezoidal fretboard blank. Right?

The Blue Ghost

Direct Mount Pickup Enjoyer
Reaction score
I've been wondering how setting up the action works for these. The bridge isn't recessed to be tilted like the fretboard so do the saddles have more room for adjusting than a typical guitar? Or is the bridge actually angled at the same degree as the fretboard?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been wondering how setting up the action works for these. The bridge isn't recessed to be tilted like the fretboard so do the saddles have more room for adjusting than a typical guitar? Or is the bridge actually angled at the same degree as the fretboard?

The curve of the board, and tilt, are incredibly minor. You really wouldn't even notice if you didn't know about it prior. For all the marketing speak, it's very low key.

The bridge, and really just about any, has plenty of adjustment range for these.

The Blue Ghost

Reaction score
The curve of the board, and tilt, are incredibly minor. You really wouldn't even notice if you didn't know about it prior. For all the marketing speak, it's very low key.

The bridge, and really just about any, has plenty of adjustment range for these.
I'd guess it's like that indeed. Had slightly under an hour to try it out at my local music shop, felt nice and played nice but the fretboard/neck didn't seem any more tilted or flat than my jp12 with a 20" radius at first glance. I kind of wish they went all out with trying new things. The multi scale is narrow and doesn't help the lower register, the tuners are not an improvement at all over the usual Schallers they use, the neck isn't that different from any modern guitar and "Heat treated pickups" ??? What's that even supposed to do?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd guess it's like that indeed. Had slightly under an hour to try it out at my local music shop, felt nice and played nice but the fretboard/neck didn't seem any more tilted or flat than my jp12 with a 20" radius at first glance. I kind of wish they went all out with trying new things. The multi scale is narrow and doesn't help the lower register, the tuners are not an improvement at all over the usual Schallers they use, the neck isn't that different from any modern guitar and "Heat treated pickups" ??? What's that even supposed to do?

The target audience for this thing is all about buzzwords and hype, and in that regard they succeeded. :lol:

I just want one because it looks cool.

The Blue Ghost

Reaction score
The target audience for this thing is all about buzzwords and hype, and in that regard they succeeded. :lol:

Sure thing. I mean I'm a huge AAL, Tosin and EBMM fan so I'm kind of in that demographic hehe.

The thing is that compared to the JPs I've bought second hand which have arguably more features and playability (upper fret access and piezo being the main ones for me). A new Kaizen here in Sweden is ridiculously expensive, like 6k plus.

They do look cool though.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Yeah EBMMs might as well be unobtanium for you Europeans. I've seen the markups over there and they're bonkers.

The design has grown on me over time, and I like the wild colors. But I don't think I'd pull the trigger on one without trying it out first, and that's not gonna happen here in Halifax. Maybe if they put out an 8 string version.

The Blue Ghost

Reaction score
I'm counting my lucky stars being able to score a Bongo 6 and JP12 7 for 2k each and a Majesty 7 for 2.5k second hand after scouring reverb and other sites years ago. They really are my favourite instruments.

I like the look of the design, just wish it was a neck-through. It feels weird that there isn't an 8-string version already. I mean Tosin is like one of the most famous 8-string players ever right?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

The target demographic is someone who gets hands-on with it and writes things like...

"so essentially you can create a whole cascade of harmonics that just produce a multiplicity of possibilities"

"Just the fact that it was born out of just the mind of, of someone who has pushed the music industry forward in so many ways in a sense that everything about the guitar just speaks of innovation and of beauty and of forward thinkingness, which is something that I am heavily drawn towards.

"So to me what attracts me most about the Larada is the neck, is the multi-scale neck, because uh to me it looks fourth-dimensional almost."

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The target demographic is someone who gets hands-on with it and writes things like...

"so essentially you can create a whole cascade of harmonics that just produce a multiplicity of possibilities"

"Just the fact that it was born out of just the mind of, of someone who has pushed the music industry forward in so many ways in a sense that everything about the guitar just speaks of innovation and of beauty and of forward thinkingness, which is something that I am heavily drawn towards.

"So to me what attracts me most about the Larada is the neck, is the multi-scale neck, because uh to me it looks fourth-dimensional almost."

Cringe. :ugh:

I wanted to make a joke, but I haven't stopped puking long enough to. Rain check.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score

"hhEY guys WELcomebackto my YOU.TUBE.CHAnnel" - the target audience, probably

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score

:lol:

xzacx

Reaction score
I know who Tosin is, but not sure I've heard him outside of demos. The main appeal to me is the 24.75” to 25.5” scale length, which has always seemed like the most logical fan for a 7, yet pretty rare. I think it looks pretty cool too—I'm sure I'll get one eventually, I've just been putting money towards different stuff since these came out.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score

I'm trying...

1703778280831.png

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I know who Tosin is, but not sure I've heard him outside of demos. The main appeal to me is the 24.75” to 25.5” scale length, which has always seemed like the most logical fan for a 7, yet pretty rare. I think it looks pretty cool too—I'm sure I'll get one eventually, I've just been putting money towards different stuff since these came out.
member since 2006, never heard of Animals as Leaders. That's crazy

Latest posts