Votes: 2 18.2%
  • EBMM Cutlass

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Charvel DK24 HH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pfizer

Reaction score
Howdy y'all, hope everyone's having a great holiday season.

Just wanted to ask a question regarding the EBMM Cutlass and Stingray guitars; I'm thinking of saving up for one, I really dig how they both look and I've been thinking of adding a "strat" type guitar to my arsenal.

I've had experience only with the JP models and I really like the neck on those and prefer thinner, "shredder" necks in general, but I'm also quite happy with my Charvel San Dimas Pro Hardtail which has a rounder neck.

Actually, I'm not quite sure whether to get an EBMM Cutlass/Stingray or get one of those Charvel DK24 HH models, which seem to be quite popular these days (and are admittedly quite my jam as well).

Thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
If you want a strat style guitar for your arsenal than the Cutlass is the way to go from the options you listed.

The Charvel DK24's are great guitars for the price but it wont deliver the 'strat' tones in a way that is overly convincing. Considering you already have a Charvel SD I would advise to go with something to diversify your instruments in terms of sound. I only say this because it seems as though you're wanting to get something different to diversify your sounds, so getting the Charvel wouldn't offer you much more than you already have. Not to say you wont get different tones from the DK24, the pickups will give you a different vibe, especially with the split tones, but if you want the quintessentially 'strat tone' you are only going to get that with actual single-coils, split/coil tapped humbuckers can be really good but they don't have the same vibe as a real single coil or variant of a single-coil spaced pickup.

The EBMM Cutlass will have a little bit of a thicker neck than your Charvel, but not too thick. The biggest thing you'll notice is how narrow the neck is, which is really cool in itself, and can be pretty comfortable and make playing really easy (for most people that is).

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
There's a few things to establish, if you want a "strat" sound in your arsenal nothing will quite do it like a true single coil. Coil Taps/Splits are very obvious to the trained ear, especially when you swap immediately from the sound of a humbucker straight to a split center coil sound. You gotta try a real strat and then compare it to split tones on a humbucker and see if that gets you where you want to be. The best compromise IMO is HSS with a 5 Way and a Push Pull Split for the bridge inner coil. The bridge will never quite sound like a bridge single coil, but position 2 (Middle + Inner coil of Bridge Split) is actually a fun tone that's unique in it's own way.

Also the Ernie Balls will be infinitely better than the Charvel, I've actually played a pair of the DK24's and they are fantastic guitars as well, EBMM is just a cut above most brands for me personally. I find with the Cutlass and Stingray you almost don't want to modify them too much because of all their proprietary electronics systems, the silent single coil system is actually pretty baller and dead quiet and the stock pickups are very versatile.

The Stingray I've only played one at NAMM through an iPad, but I have witnessed it live with Counterparts and they made it sound absolutely fucking huge. Will not get you anything strat like in any way shape or form though.

The necks on the Cutlass and Stingrays are a bit thicker than the JPs but not by much as well, can't really remember on the DK24's.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mike1033

Reaction score
I've only played the Cutlass out of those and I really liked the neck, I checked their website and it doesn't specifically say but it has a V shape to it (unless they've changed it). Just something to consider as it is a bit different than typical "shredder" type shapes.

nyxzz

Reaction score
I have a roasted HSS cutlass and it rules. the neck does have a soft v shape closer to the nut but the nut width is narrower than a fender and the neck is super comfortable. Also - mine has a crazy flamed neck. Has the same oil finish as a JP.

bzhang9

Reaction score
a used cutlass non RS version is the best bang of the buck strat out there not even close

pfizer

Reaction score
If you want a strat style guitar for your arsenal than the Cutlass is the way to go from the options you listed.

The Charvel DK24's are great guitars for the price but it wont deliver the 'strat' tones in a way that is overly convincing. Considering you already have a Charvel SD I would advise to go with something to diversify your instruments in terms of sound. I only say this because it seems as though you're wanting to get something different to diversify your sounds, so getting the Charvel wouldn't offer you much more than you already have. Not to say you wont get different tones from the DK24, the pickups will give you a different vibe, especially with the split tones, but if you want the quintessentially 'strat tone' you are only going to get that with actual single-coils, split/coil tapped humbuckers can be really good but they don't have the same vibe as a real single coil or variant of a single-coil spaced pickup.

The EBMM Cutlass will have a little bit of a thicker neck than your Charvel, but not too thick. The biggest thing you'll notice is how narrow the neck is, which is really cool in itself, and can be pretty comfortable and make playing really easy (for most people that is).

Yeah, I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my Charvel SD and getting the DK24 anyway -- I love playing the SD but I need something with 24 frets and a carved neck joint couldn't hurt. I really want a "Strat" style guitar but with modernized features and the Cutlass seems to be the ticket.

There's a few things to establish, if you want a "strat" sound in your arsenal nothing will quite do it like a true single coil. Coil Taps/Splits are very obvious to the trained ear, especially when you swap immediately from the sound of a humbucker straight to a split center coil sound. You gotta try a real strat and then compare it to split tones on a humbucker and see if that gets you where you want to be. The best compromise IMO is HSS with a 5 Way and a Push Pull Split for the bridge inner coil. The bridge will never quite sound like a bridge single coil, but position 2 (Middle + Inner coil of Bridge Split) is actually a fun tone that's unique in it's own way.

Also the Ernie Balls will be infinitely better than the Charvel, I've actually played a pair of the DK24's and they are fantastic guitars as well, EBMM is just a cut above most brands for me personally. I find with the Cutlass and Stingray you almost don't want to modify them too much because of all their proprietary electronics systems, the silent single coil system is actually pretty baller and dead quiet and the stock pickups are very versatile.

The Stingray I've only played one at NAMM through an iPad, but I have witnessed it live with Counterparts and they made it sound absolutely fucking huge. Will not get you anything strat like in any way shape or form though.

The necks on the Cutlass and Stingrays are a bit thicker than the JPs but not by much as well, can't really remember on the DK24's.

Yeah, I haven't played a guitar with real single coils in a while so this is me wanting something different from all the HH-set guitars I have and wanting doing it right. I might wait a bit for NAMM and see what they have to offer but the HSS Cutlass seems like to way to go right now.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my Charvel SD and getting the DK24 anyway -- I love playing the SD but I need something with 24 frets and a carved neck joint couldn't hurt. I really want a "Strat" style guitar but with modernized features and the Cutlass seems to be the ticket.

Yeah, I haven't played a guitar with real single coils in a while so this is me wanting something different from all the HH-set guitars I have and wanting doing it right. I might wait a bit for NAMM and see what they have to offer but the HSS Cutlass seems like to way to go right now.

Ultimately playing both the EBMM and Charvel DK24 before-hand would be the best option. I'm going to assume that option isn't available to you though.

Ultimately you're getting a great guitar in the EBMM HSS Cutlass. Try and buy from a store that has a good return policy, so if you don't dig the instrument you can return it.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
I agree with the comments. I had a SSS Cutlass and it is one of the few guitars I regret selling. The "strat" tone on it was awesome. It is thicker than a shredder neck but to me the narrowness offsets it somewhat.