EBMM launches custom design bass orders

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, like, I wouldn't want that either. It just seem as though there aren't really that many options here, even within the limits of colours and simple things that you expect. I can't even get a yellow Stingray 4 without a pickguard like Tony Levin's.

Not to be that guy, but it just doesn't seem any different to the regular production stuff.

No dots and fretboard options alone will sell a ton of these.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
No dots and fretboard options alone will sell a ton of these.

Hardware, too. I remember guys buying JPX and Koa JPs back in the day just to get their hands on black or gold hardware to swap onto their main guitar that came with the default nickel.

I think going with default model specs will be fine. Colourways constitute customisation for like 80% of buyers. I just hope EBMM will be adventurous enough to do a wider variety of finishes than what's currently on offer for the Stingrays. They have quite a large library at this point and have done some absolutely killer one-off finishes for endorsed artists that could be offered via the CDE.

There's no way they're going to offer 200 colourways at once or whatever. More for logistical reasons than FOMO. Still, it would be nice if they rolled over the finish options every now and then, or offered special runs at certain times of the year that you order direct from the CDE rather than a dealer.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hardware, too. I remember guys buying JPX and Koa JPs back in the day just to get their hands on black or gold hardware to swap onto their main guitar that came with the default nickel.

I think going with default model specs will be fine. Colourways constitute customisation for like 80% of buyers. I just hope EBMM will be adventurous enough to do a wider variety of finishes than what's currently on offer for the Stingrays. They have quite a large library at this point and have done some absolutely killer one-off finishes for endorsed artists that could be offered via the CDE.

There's no way they're going to offer 200 colourways at once or whatever. More for logistical reasons than FOMO. Still, it would be nice if they rolled over the finish options every now and then, or offered special runs at certain times of the year that you order direct from the CDE rather than a dealer.

EBMM gonna EBMM, you can't even get all the current "standard" colorways on the CDE stuff.

But 30 finish options isn't at all bad. Definitely something for everyone. A few older colors that were unexpected as they've been out of production for awhile.

Though a little sore that you can't get Kiwi, but I'll live. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
My only gripe with the recent JP lineup has been roasted maple boards and chrome hardware on everything. Nothing wrong with either but more variety would be great.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was playing around with the builder and it's okay but I was expecting you could do things like not have a pickguard. The builder also reminded me I like their Sterling 5 string model shape the best, the Stingray 5 is just too bulbous looking to me.

It is cool seeing a 3d version as you go but the whole thing seems like overkill. The best part honestly the color selection, lots of good ones in there.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was playing around with the builder and it's okay but I was expecting you could do things like not have a pickguard. The builder also reminded me I like their Sterling 5 string model shape the best, the Stingray 5 is just too bulbous looking to me.

It is cool seeing a 3d version as you go but the whole thing seems like overkill. The best part honestly the color selection, lots of good ones in there.

Yeah, the original StingRay5 was much cooler looking, the rounding of the edges on the Special is...a choice.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
My trouble with the ray pickguards is they make the bass look like a toilet seat. The bongos do too actually. That being said, I love the stingray sound and if I can score one for like $1100 someday I'd buy one.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My trouble with the ray pickguards is they make the bass look like a toilet seat. The bongos do too actually. That being said, I love the stingray sound and if I can score one for like $1100 someday I'd buy one.
All of their pickguard are toilety, Sterling and Bongos especially. That's why I like them waaaay better without one!

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
it was cool to see the correct color hardware on colors they foolishly refuse to offer it with. im still not gonna order one.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
EBMM gonna EBMM, you can't even get all the current "standard" colorways on the CDE stuff.

But 30 finish options isn't at all bad. Definitely something for everyone. A few older colors that were unexpected as they've been out of production for awhile.

Though a little sore that you can't get Kiwi, but I'll live. :lol:

32 colours is definitely great. Good variety among them, too. Hard to say what the guitars will get...the existing finishes would work for the Sabre, but I can't see most of those trans finishes being in-demand on JPs. It'd be more sensible if they kept the CDE colourways within the model families. 30+ past JP finishes with your choice of hardware, neck wood, and inlays would make those things sell like hotcakes.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I'll never understand why the Stingray bass has two different body styles between the 4 and 5 string. Gimme the chamfers on the 4!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll never understand why the Stingray bass has two different body styles between the 4 and 5 string. Gimme the chamfers on the 4!

Not anymore. They call it the "StingRay5 Special" now. They softened the lines a lot. Not a slab like the original 4, but not as sharp either.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I get
Not anymore. They call it the "StingRay5 Special" now. They softened the lines a lot. Not a slab like the original 4, but not as sharp either.
I get what you're talking about, but just doesn't scratch the same itch. It's still much closer to the original 4 than the 5.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's important to consider the history.

The original Stingray bass was designed mostly by Leo Fender and Clarence White in the early 70's. Though there are drawings going back to the late 60's that definitely have the same vibe.

The Stingray 5-string was designed much later, in the mid 80's, by an entirely different team headed by Sterling Ball.

They probably should have named them differently, being such different instruments, but at the time I could see why they'd market it as an extension of the wildly successful Stingray line.

They're both products of their time.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
No Fuschia sparkle?

I would not buy a 3k bass either way so EBMM has no reason to listen to my whinging

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Unrelated to basses but when they roll this out for JPs I'm going to get a gremlin sparkle burst one:

sjlf3bahp88jxgg0nea1.jpg

Latest posts