Eddie Munson's Guitar Solo (Slight Stranger Things Spoilers)

• Thread starter Fenriswolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I know I'm not the only Stranger Things fan on here. With the whole favorite song to pull you out thing going on, is anybody else trying to figure out what the hell solo he's playing?

Honestly, it reminds me more of the bridge from Man On The Silver Mountain than anything anybody's suggesting in the comments. My first thought was Master of Puppets, because it came out right before the season takes place, it fits in with the story line, but that's not how the solo goes.

At this point I'm kinda thinking it's either a song from his band, a scene that's different for the trailer, or just a metalhead ripping a solo over his friends favorite song.

But I figure y'all would have a better idea than the youtube comments. Also...it's in March 1986, to give you a timeline.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
God, I hate sweeping. Most people who sweep are about as entertaining as a janitor, which is appropriate, because a janitor sweeps as well. One of the few guys I find interesting with regards to sweeping is Marty Friedman.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
God, I hate sweeping. Most people who sweep are about as entertaining as a janitor, which is appropriate, because a janitor sweeps as well. One of the few guys I find interesting with regards to sweeping is Marty Friedman.

Same, and there's young coke fuel Yngwei that I like in small doses.

He might not be Ritchie Blackmore, but he's fun to watch.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Is it because marty barely sweeps?

I'm not too offended by the sweeping in the trailer, but by itself it's boring.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Same, and there's young coke fuel Yngwei that I like in small doses.

He might not be Ritchie Blackmore, but he's fun to watch.

Other than Yngwie, I don't care to hear people sweep. Yngwie is at least doing it in the context of a neoclassical composition. Everyone else is doing it to sound like they can play faster than they otherwise can.

Lol, I love how Yngwie just does a fill during the middle of Graham's vocal.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Other than Yngwie, I don't care to hear people sweep. Yngwie is at least doing it in the context of a neoclassical composition. Everyone else is doing it to sound like they can play faster than they otherwise can.

Lol, I love how Yngwie just does a fill during the middle of Graham's vocal.

Honestly, I'm from the weird generation of self taught guitar players where internet tabs where a thing, but not really tutorials, where I downloaded a tab for Eruption and thought the T on it meant thumb, so I Jake E Lee'd the shit out of Eruption. And my wife was in choir and actually knows music theory, while I "don't", we've been talking about music and apparently I explained music theory so in depth she used Google to double check what I was saying, but on the flip side, I can't tell you what key any song is in.

I'm still not entirely sure what the difference in sweeps and appregios are, but that solo he plays reminds me of something and I can't figure out what it is.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I'm still not entirely sure what the difference in sweeps and appregios are, but that solo he plays reminds me of something and I can't figure out what it is.

Arpeggios are just playing a chord arpeggiated, or one note at a time. Sweeping is a technique to do it. There are some players out there that have been known to alt pick arpeggios.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm from the weird generation of self taught guitar players where internet tabs where a thing, but not really tutorials, where I downloaded a tab for Eruption and thought the T on it meant thumb, so I Jake E Lee'd the shit out of Eruption. And my wife was in choir and actually knows music theory, while I "don't", we've been talking about music and apparently I explained music theory so in depth she used Google to double check what I was saying, but on the flip side, I can't tell you what key any song is in.

Arpeggios are chords broken into individual notes. Think if you fingered a C major and just played each note separately, that's an arpeggio. Sweeping is just a method of playing arpeggios.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Arpeggios are just playing a chord arpeggiated, or one note at a time. Sweeping is a technique to do it. There are some players out there that have been known to alt pick arpeggios.

Ya, I've just never bothered with learning techniques, as much as fuck around and figure out how to make the notes sound like I want them to.

Somebody on here tried to explain that to me, and I can't understand it. You can play down down down, or you can play down, over and up, and over and down. It just seems like too much extra effort.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Down, down, down is a sweep. Down, over and up, and over and down isn’t a sweep.

Down, down down is also the part of the picking pattern in a bunch of country songs, and I know Chet Atkins and Roy Clark are probably the only chances of sweeping showing up in country music.

But still....I'm just trying to figure out what song he might be playing, why am I finally learning what sweep picking is?

tedtan

Reaction score
Down, down down is also the part of the picking pattern in a bunch of country songs, and I know Chet Atkins and Roy Clark are probably the only chances of sweeping showing up in country music.
Its usually called cross picking in bluegrass and country, though cross picking can also mean alternate picking depending on who’s saying it.

But still....I'm just trying to figure out what song he might be playing, why am I finally learning what sweep picking is?
I’m putting off watching until the second half of the season is released and I can binge watch it, so I can’t help here.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I’m putting off watching until the second half of the season is released and I can binge watch it, so I can’t help here.

Ya, I got blueballed because I didn't know they were splitting it up. Everything builds up.....and now you got to wait even longer.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is there a purpose why they wait with the last episodes? I binged the ones that were out and then kinda moved on. Now I don't know if I even care to watch the last episodes. When it's years between seasons I have time to build up a renewed hunger for the show again but one month isn't enough for that. One month wait just makes me lose interest, even though I think it's a good show.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Is there a purpose why they wait with the last episodes? I binged the ones that were out and then kinda moved on. Now I don't know if I even care to watch the last episodes. When it's years between seasons I have time to build up a renewed hunger for the show again but one month isn't enough for that. One month wait just makes me lose interest, even though I think it's a good show.

It’s so they can get 3 months of subscription out of anyone signing up just to watch season 4. By having episodes in May, none in June and then the rest end of July it means subscribers will stick around 3 months before cancelling, maybe even August of people forget to cancel or stick around another month. Its a really shitty practice to drag out a show to squeeze money out of their subscribers and keep people constantly subscribed to their service.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s so they can get 3 months of subscription out of anyone signing up just to watch season 4. By having episodes in May, none in June and then the rest end of July it means subscribers will stick around 3 months before cancelling, maybe even August of people forget to cancel or stick around another month. Its a really shitty practice to drag out a show to squeeze money out of their subscribers and keep people constantly subscribed to their service.

Figures... Hope it backfires on them.

Maybe they should focus on having better content overall instead. There's so much crappy stuff on there that finding stuff to watch is tough. I always have to toggle back and forth to imdb to check ratings so I don't waste my time on bad stuff.

Surely they can't just rely on tricks like this and trying to stop people sharing accounts. If people don't subscribe enough then they need better content.