Egnater Vengeance vs EVH 5150 lll

• Thread starter lust of decay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lust of decay

Banned
Reaction score
amp got here along with the decimator about an hour ago. THIS AMP IS A BEAST!!!!!!! concern about not having enough gain is out the window. this amp jams! haven't even gotten a chance to turn it up. not a clean guy but... the cleans on this amp sounds almost like an acoustic guitar lol. thanx BLADED-VAULTS for pointing me in the right direction!!!!

IMAG0555_zps0d43e2c8.jpg

IMAG0551_zpsa3de5a89.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bladed-Vaults

Broceidon
Reaction score
Congrats...
soo many people shy away from that amp cuz of the name on the front and them not having a huge high gain association...... Oh wel soo many people are missing out on a brutal little amp

lust of decay

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats...
soo many people shy away from that amp cuz of the name on the front and them not having a huge high gain association...... Oh wel soo many people are missing out on a brutal little amp

it does sound a little like an ENGL with a pinch of messa. i see no need to boost. great amp!

now... if i could get you provide me with your amp settings... i would greatly appreciate it sir :)

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
LOL @ the PBR pic. Got me good in the libary +1

But grats on that amp dude. Those thing have gain for days..!

viesczy

Reaction score
Congrats...

Egnater is one of the founding father's of high gain amps. It is a shame that folks don't realize the amount of gain in the Egnater amps.

Derek

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Yeah, Egnater designed the T2 and V2s and even had a hand with the B52 AT100.

Take the Tight and Bright switches on the Vengeance and Armageddon, straight from the Randall V2 it seems.

lust of decay

Banned
Reaction score
whoever said this amp isnt loud enough is a damn idiot. im about half deaf right now playing on level 3 of the master volume. this amp cranks! anybody know the break in period for an orange cab with v30's?

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
I think it's about 20 hours for a speaker to break in. If you're just playing at home maybe use the 60w setting? I would. If you're playing loud you should use earplugs! I use hearos, they come in a case too.

sefloval

Reaction score
Congrats on the new Vengeance! I'm looking at that and the 5150 III 50w as well. I need to go try out both, but based on video clips alone, the EVH seems brighter and less low end grunt. Was it hard to dial a decent tone out of the box? Seems like a lot of tonal choices and I don't want to spend my time turning knobs.
Are you going to be playing this with a full band? If so, it would be good to hear how it holds up in the band mix as that's my primary reason for wanting this. I've got a Tweaker 15 head for home use that is great, so I'm also familiar with Egnater and dig their stuff. My local GC has a Vengeance, so may go check it out this weekend. Enjoy your new amp!.....Looks great with the Orange cab.

lust of decay

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats on the new Vengeance! I'm looking at that and the 5150 III 50w as well. I need to go try out both, but based on video clips alone, the EVH seems brighter and less low end grunt. Was it hard to dial a decent tone out of the box? Seems like a lot of tonal choices and I don't want to spend my time turning knobs.
Are you going to be playing this with a full band? If so, it would be good to hear how it holds up in the band mix as that's my primary reason for wanting this. I've got a Tweaker 15 head for home use that is great, so I'm also familiar with Egnater and dig their stuff. My local GC has a Vengeance, so may go check it out this weekend. Enjoy your new amp!.....Looks great with the Orange cab.

wasnt hard to dial in my tone at all. cool thing is you have 2 master volume switches. they both adjust the volume at the same time. the 2nd volume is great for boosting leads. so far... great amp. has some real balls!

no band... just drunk night jamming with this amp. might even get a second cab!

sefloval

Reaction score
Haha, drunk night jamming is the best! I can't do that at home due to two midgets and a bitchy wife :). We rent a rehearsel room, drink beers and make noise a couple times a month. Sounds like what I'm looking for....lotsa balls. Thanks for the info.

Bladed-Vaults

Broceidon
Reaction score
Egnater is one of the founding father's of high gain amps. It is a shame that folks don't realize the amount of gain in the Egnater amps.

Derek

Oh no I know this.. but the major populous doesnt..

you see egnater and your first though is definately not "damn look at that death metal machine"

amps like the 5150/6505 the jvm series. and mesa recs stole all that thunder.

and all those major name fanboys have shadowed a seriously good amp company like egnater

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Oh no I know this.. but the major populous doesnt..

you see egnater and your first though is definately not "damn look at that death metal machine"

amps like the 5150/6505 the jvm series. and mesa recs stole all that thunder.

and all those major name fanboys have shadowed a seriously good amp company like egnater

Dude, whatever. That means I got my vengeance for cheaper than if I were paying for a bigger "name" than Egnater.

Bladed-Vaults

Broceidon
Reaction score
Dude, whatever. That means I got my vengeance for cheaper than if I were paying for a bigger "name" than Egnater.

uhhhh. not sure why the attitude?? if you remember Im the first person to reccomend this amp to the guy... I OWN one just like you do...I own 3 other high end hi gain amps and I reccomend this amp before those almost everytime.

and all I was saying is that not many people go looking for egnater when they get on the market for hi gain tube.... just a statement no need to take offence bro.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
checking out a vengeance later today thanks this thread. I love my 50w 5150 III dearly, so if this is anywhere in that realm, plus, if the cleans can possibly beat the fender cleans of the 5150 III... I might have to pick one up myself... lol

tonethack

Reaction score
amp got here along with the decimator about an hour ago. THIS AMP IS A BEAST!!!!!!! concern about not having enough gain is out the window. this amp jams! haven't even gotten a chance to turn it up. not a clean guy but... the cleans on this amp sounds almost like an acoustic guitar lol. thanx BLADED-VAULTS for pointing me in the right direction!!!!

IMAG0555_zps0d43e2c8.jpg

IMAG0551_zpsa3de5a89.jpg

I am having a issue with my egnater armagheddon at the moment. Anyway I agree with Bladed- Vaults 100% . I have other amps,but the armagheddon with proper speakers is a beast. No pedals needed unless u need
modulation. I have a cab with GT-75 and Vin 30. It sounds great. I have a cab with swamp thangs and texas heats. The amp sounds like a match made in hell, as long as i run it 16ohm. still tight on channel 3 cranked,if dialed in. Enough of my ramblins good luck on your egnater purchase.

Sparkfriction

Reaction score
wow cool. i simply didnt knew about this amps. - ok i know about egnater, but didnt checked them out. i had the plan to get myself a 5150 III 50 watt mini. Now i want this one. :)

where sits the amp sound-wise? i mean the tonal flavour... i really like the Splawn Nitro tones. if this helps for some explanation. - thx.

oh and is it possbile to run this amp without a cab jsut for recording via the cab/sim out into a board at the studio? - sorry, its maybe a stupid quewstion but i have no clue about guitar amps. i just playd some nice heads over the years...

tonethack

Reaction score
I am having a issue with my egnater armagheddon at the moment. Anyway I agree with Bladed- Vaults 100% . I have other amps,but the armagheddon with proper speakers is a beast. No pedals needed unless u need
modulation. I have a cab with GT-75 and Vin 30. It sounds great. I have a cab with swamp thangs and texas heats. The amp sounds like a match made in hell, as long as i run it 16ohm. still tight on channel 3 cranked,if dialed in. Enough of my ramblins good luck on your egnater purchase.
I love the design of this and when it's working it's a true beast clean or high gain. I bought a new one and fixed my old one. I now have 2 unreliable heads. I am trying to decide to send them off or move on and bad press

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I have no idea what the other guys are talking about but the Vengeance was one of the most disappointing high gain amps for me, I owned one for a while and it always sounded really dark and muffled, even with a boost, it could never get that tight low end punchy tone. I much prefer the 6505 over the vengeance. But neither compare to my Mark V.