Elan Metalhead Dino Tube Metal Preamp

• Thread starter Shask
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
Oh good lord...
I thought that mod died with the stolen amp?

Whelp, I think I better take a ride over and see Jerry and pick his brain a bit.

sylcfh

Reaction score
Hmm ok, fair is fair and maybe the other post was off base.

Not really sure about any of these guys amps/mods. Maybe he just said it was like the Metalhead amp mod for some buzz to sell his amp and it is not the same mod.

He did say it was "like" the metalhead mod. Not the actual mod.

"modded like the Metalhead modded amp I had here in the shop."

Doesn't necessarily mean he stole the guys mod. Could be just similar. I retract my previous post and was just going off the post that I quoted.

But then again he had the modded amp in his shop so the secret is out and the world is slowly coming to an end BWAHAAHA

I think he's selling a head he purchased some time ago, not one he modded. Since he already was familiar with it, I think he probably picked up a wrecked head at a discount and fixed it.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bad review on Rig Talk from a guy who said he had one already.....bummer.......he sounds convincing...... :(

Thought he sounded more like he had an axe to grind... and I say that as someone with no dog in the fight since I'm not looking to buy any of the stuff in question any time soon.

wakjob

Reaction score
Bad review on Rig Talk from a guy who said he had one already.....bummer.......he sounds convincing...... :(

Uhhhh, I just read some posting.

Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I think Elan should just either build a full-on/full size preamp like his old ones. And/or build amps or provide his old mods again.

This whole "lets stuff everything into the smallest, most compact package" just for the sake of convenience crap is getting old.

Don't get me wrong, I like pedals and all, but it just seems like everyone is missing the mark with this stuff lately.

Tell me every Dino fan is a world renown gigging guitarist that needs a "Fly Rig"?

Also, did Dino use that same Marshall 2203 on
'Soul of a New Machine'? It doesn't sound quite the same as 'Demanufacture'.

wakjob

Reaction score
Thought he sounded more like he had an axe to grind... and I say that as someone with no dog in the fight since I'm not looking to buy any of the stuff in question any time soon.

I thought so too.

He paid "good money" for it ($400?)...

...then "gave it away" ?????

I smell BS.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also, did Dino use that same Marshall 2203 on
'Soul of a New Machine'? It doesn't sound quite the same as 'Demanufacture'.

Was actually a 2204 IIRC. Plus I'm pretty sure it's the same amp. Just different producers getting different results. All 3 of the albums recorded with the Metalhead Marshall sound different.

wakjob

Reaction score
I'm sure you're right
(usually are you bastard :fawk:)

This thread has me listening to that first album as I type, and got wondering what speakers he's using in that Marshall cab?

I'll just assume a well beaten set of old v30's.

Shask

Reaction score
I'm sure you're right
(usually are you bastard :fawk:)

This thread has me listening to that first album as I type, and got wondering what speakers he's using in that Marshall cab?

I'll just assume a well beaten set of old v30's.

He used Mesa V30 cabs a few years later, so I would assume what he used them would be similar.

Shask

Reaction score
Was actually a 2204 IIRC. Plus I'm pretty sure it's the same amp. Just different producers getting different results. All 3 of the albums recorded with the Metalhead Marshall sound different.

I thought it was a 2203 with 6550 tubes, from what I remember.

I agree that I think it was just different recording techniques, but same amp. I have read that people say it was modded differently before Obsolete, but I have never believed that. I think the switch to A tuning, from EMG 81s to 707s, and them bouncing the mastering to analog tape can explain the differences of why it sounds much fatter.

There are also examples of where it sounds like crap... like this live TV recording from Headbanger's Ball....

sylcfh

Reaction score
The amp was the same on Obsolete. Dino was really unhappy with the recording.

wakjob

Reaction score
I thought it was a 2203 with 6550 tubes, from what I remember.

From my feeble memory, that's what I thought.

I also vaguely remember Dino talking about his prized Marshall saying he wanted that old VanHalen sound.

And when he saw the inside of his amp when it was done, it looked like a Marshmallow Fluff lid (back when they were still made of metal) attached to the chassis with a bunch of wires coming off of it.

This could explain the lore of the "urinal puck" appearance of the Metalhead Mod.

Shask

Reaction score
From my feeble memory, that's what I thought.

I also vaguely remember Dino talking about his prized Marshall saying he wanted that old VanHalen sound.

And when he saw the inside of his amp when it was done, it looked like a Marshmallow Fluff lid (back when they were still made of metal) attached to the chassis with a bunch of wires coming off of it.

This could explain the lore of the "urinal puck" appearance of the Metalhead Mod.

Yeah, the Metalhead mods used that urinal cake with all the wires attached to different points in the circuit, like the picture I am attaching. I think the noise gate and bass boost and such were built inside it, and then epoxied up.

Attachments

• metalhead mod.jpg
    metalhead mod.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 70

wakjob

Reaction score
Yeah, the Metalhead mods used that urinal cake with all the wires attached to different points in the circuit, like the picture I am attaching. I think the noise gate and bass boost and such were built inside it, and then epoxied up.

Sweet Jesus! If someone in the vintage amp crowd saw those Phillips "mustard caps" in a full-on metal modded amp they'd have a conniption!

Who's amp is that?

Shask

Reaction score
Sweet Jesus! If someone in the vintage amp crowd saw those Phillips "mustard caps" in a full-on metal modded amp they'd have a conniption!

Who's amp is that?

I don't know whose amp that is. I collected a bunch of Elan Metalhead pictures, schematics, etc... a few years back, so this is just a picture I have.

Shask

Reaction score
You can get close with a boosted JCM 800.

Yeah, you can get kind of close, but not exact. I have a JCM800 2203 clone I built that I have tweaked on for years trying to get a Demanufacture type tone out of, but still be able to get classic Anthrax/Slayer type tones. It is basically a stock 2203 circuit with an extra tube for gain, and a depth control. It can get very close with an EMG pickup, and Bass, Treble, Presence on 10, and Mids on 0.