Elan Metalhead Dino Tube Metal Preamp

• Thread starter Shask
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Saw this on another forum. This looks interesting for everyone who loves Demanufacture tone as much as me. :agreed:

dfg.png

http://metalheadamps.com/?page_id=846

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did he ever actually end up launching these? IIRC everything on the website is several years old and I know he was trying to make a comeback but wasn't sure if he ever actually got the preamp out the door.

EDIT: ok I see on the page linked it says NAMM 2018... hopefully they can get this off the ground

Meanwhile FJA recently got his hands on an old Marshall with the Metalhead mods and has cloned it and is selling the mod after hyping up the amp he got a hold of as "potentially the one Dino owned". Nothing like cloning and selling a guy's work when he is trying to relaunch his company...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, I think these are newer. The talk was of an amp, but it looks like the idea turned into preamp pedals instead.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I think these are newer. The talk was of an amp, but it looks like the idea turned into preamp pedals instead.

Yeah the kickstarter he tried to launch failed miserably a couple years ago so guessing he's trying the pedal as a cheap way to launch and get some publicity and cash to move into other stuff.

Was honestly a shame how he crashed and burned originally, basically had a company that ordered a bunch of product that he built and they never paid for.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Did he ever actually end up launching these? IIRC everything on the website is several years old and I know he was trying to make a comeback but wasn't sure if he ever actually got the preamp out the door.

EDIT: ok I see on the page linked it says NAMM 2018... hopefully they can get this off the ground

Meanwhile FJA recently got his hands on an old Marshall with the Metalhead mods and has cloned it and is selling the mod after hyping up the amp he got a hold of as "potentially the one Dino owned". Nothing like cloning and selling a guy's work when he is trying to relaunch his company...

Damn, I didn't really see this point of view but you are right. Kind of a shitty thing to do but that is just part of the business I guess. Everything is basically a modded Fender anyway right?

That modded Marshall does sound killer though. Reminds me of my Rev 2 Uberschall quite a bit TBH, seems a bit brighter and probably less low end (hard to tell from youtbe clips) but it does sound very similar.

IMO the amp for sale is way over priced but I am a cheap bastard.

Not sure how much the actual mod costs though but it does sound good.

Regarding the actual thread, I saw these preamp pedals. They seem really awesome but too much $$$ for me. If I didn't have an amp already or if I wanted a fly rig or if I just had a lot of extra cash I would totally get one. Maybe ill buy yours used one day :)

I would say whoever is considering getting one do it. Will sound killer and you would be supporting the guy who made the sound himself and not someone cloning his mods.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I've seen the FD mod on FJA's page for years. Not sure how long he's had the amp...

Hmm ok, fair is fair and maybe the other post was off base.

Not really sure about any of these guys amps/mods. Maybe he just said it was like the Metalhead amp mod for some buzz to sell his amp and it is not the same mod.

He did say it was "like" the metalhead mod. Not the actual mod.

"modded like the Metalhead modded amp I had here in the shop."

Doesn't necessarily mean he stole the guys mod. Could be just similar. I retract my previous post and was just going off the post that I quoted.

But then again he had the modded amp in his shop so the secret is out and the world is slowly coming to an end BWAHAAHA

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen the FD mod on FJA's page for years. Not sure how long he's had the amp...

Ok that is really weird as the thread about the modded Marshall was from September 2017 and he made it sound like it was something new he was doing :2c:

EDIT: ok I think he was building a new clone of this specific amp

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Yeah, here's the demo of the pedal preamp. Definitely sounding more like late-'90s Fear Factory (ala Obsolete). Hope we get some higher-quality clips.