Elden ring!

• Thread starter BusinessMan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Endurance seems a LOT less important this game than previous ones. I have been using BIG weapons and didn't level endurance past 10 until about level 80. Never felt gated by stamina the way I did in the DS games. I'm only leveling it now to be able to equip heavier armor.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
@Mathemagician A lot of what you said make sense. My Vigor is lvl 17, so that could certainly be one of the reasons I suck haha

I think I'm making my character to rounded and not focused enough on a certain stat.

wankerness

Reaction score
@Mathemagician A lot of what you said make sense. My Vigor is lvl 17, so that could certainly be one of the reasons I suck haha

I think I'm making my character to rounded and not focused enough on a certain stat.
It's not bad to have a rounded character, but it means you won't be effective for a much longer time - early game will be much harder. My build was trash until I was about level 50 cause I had to get too many stats up before things started to gel. If you're just doing a str or dex build it's very simple, just just put points into your main damage stat and vigor and you're going to do some damage and have enough health to not get squished like a bug by everything.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
What level are you guys fighting Margit at?

Margit is a proper bastard, especially for a melee only character. He is the toughest boss I've fought so far, by quite a long way. You do need to get some damage, so go find a good weapon, but otherwise it's just the job of learning how to dodge him.

Personally, I find the best way to fight him is to crowd up on him and push towards his right side (from your perspective). That mostly means he doesn't do his very long combo, but you still need to settle in for the long haul.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
@cwhitey2 One last note skeleton, watch your equip-load. It may not be obvious so I wanted to mention it to be sure. You should try to stay at medium or below. Because it allows you to roll much faster and you get more frames of invincibility during your rolls the lighter your load. Heavy makes you a rock. Doubt it’s an issue but this game hides everything, lol.

stevexc

Reaction score
What level are you guys fighting Margit at?

I killed him at 25ish with the jellyfish and a... +3 Lordsworn's Heavy Greatsword I think, after many attempts. Took a minute for everything to start clicking in a way that the previous DS games never quite did. I wouldn't say you need the Spirit Ash summons, but they don't hurt. Some people don't like them, but they're not in the game for you to not use.
Heh I suppose that's another way of solving the problem. Just a bit surprised they got GRRM on board if the plot is minimal.

I haven't played any souls games. Well I guess I did load up DS3 one time, immediately met a guy with a giant sword who offed me instantly and decided to do something else. I meant to get back to it but never did.
I dunno if I'd say the plot is minimal but it's subtly told. It's also a little different than most games - you're not just controlling a character and observing as they go through the plot, the plot is your actual actions in game... if that makes sense. It's even less a movie than most games and more emergent.

That said, GRRM's role wasn't really in terms of plot but moreso worldbuilding. If you've ever played D&D or anything similar, he essentially wrote a source book or a setting book and Miyazaki took it from there. It's still told super subtly though, as is Dark Souls tradition, just a little less so this time. it's largely environmental storytelling or flavour text.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
@cwhitey2 One last note skeleton, watch your equip-load. It may not be obvious so I wanted to mention it to be sure. You should try to stay at medium or below. Because it allows you to roll much faster and you get more frames of invincibility during your rolls the lighter your load. Heavy makes you a rock. Doubt it’s an issue but this game hides everything, lol.

Oh yeah, that’s a good point. I took all my armor off except for the chest piece and gloves so I could fast roll when I finally got Margit down.

Last edited:

wankerness

Reaction score
Margit is a proper bastard, especially for a melee only character. He is the toughest boss I've fought so far, by quite a long way. You do need to get some damage, so go find a good weapon, but otherwise it's just the job of learning how to dodge him.

Personally, I find the best way to fight him is to crowd up on him and push towards his right side (from your perspective). That mostly means he doesn't do his very long combo, but you still need to settle in for the long haul.
I found Margit and especially Godrick to be more of a bastard for casters since they can't be staggered/crit with spells and you can't hit Godrick's arm for extra damage, either. Caster's easier later on when you have upgraded ashes that can legitimately tank and when you have enough flasks that you don't go out of focus long before the boss dies. Margit and Godrick both do too much damage to the NPC summon to take them out with spells alone unless you're borderline overlevelled (~30-40). Which is what I had to be to beat Godrick as a caster!!

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I found Margit and especially Godrick to be more of a bastard for casters since they can't be staggered/crit with spells and you can't hit Godrick's arm for extra damage, either. Caster's easier later on when you have upgraded ashes that can legitimately tank and when you have enough flasks that you don't go out of focus long before the boss dies. Margit and Godrick both do too much damage to the NPC summon to take them out with spells alone unless you're borderline overlevelled (~30-40). Which is what I had to be to beat Godrick as a caster!!

Thats potentially true, I haven't fought them as a caster 🤣

But yeah, they are both harsh against ash summons. I don't mind it so much for Margit, because he is supposed to be kinda nails and gates the early game. But Godrick isn't actually that tough, he just has a bunch of 360 attacks that will definitely wipe out your squad of skellies/wolves/demi-humans.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
So i one-shot the wolf boss in Raya in one go. But that little knight after the obvious location (avoiding spoilers) wiped the floor with me. This game is hilarious sometimes man. Rocking the double big-head atm.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
OK. Moonveil is a beastly weapon. Even if they would cut the weapon art damage by 30% it would still be obscene.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I too am having fun with some of the unique weapons now - I swapped my claymore for Rosus' Axe found in one of the catacombs. It's not obviously exciting because it's just an axe but it is Str/Dex/Int scaling which works very well for me as a Quality build with a sideline in casting.

It's a lot faster, which is good, and I don't think the paper damage is very much lower and it's skill is basically "ultra heavy attack that also summons skeletons to smack them" which is fine by me.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
i found this game's version of the moonlight greatsword and respecced out of dex to put into INT for it.

also i've been hearing horror stories about how hard the last few bosses in the game are, and i think i've finally reached that point in the game? i'm still unsure how far from the end i am at 85 hours but i've burned the Erdtree, woke up in Crumbling Farum Azula, and now i'm fighting maliketh. and this whole zone is no joke, everything is strong and the boss i've already beaten is in the top 5 most bullshit fights in the series, imo

wankerness

Reaction score
OK. Moonveil is a beastly weapon. Even if they would cut the weapon art damage by 30% it would still be obscene.

I am not going to be at all surprised if they nerf the shit out of it based on how much I've heard that every dummy has it in PVP. I'm just hoping it will still be very good. In DS3 I remember they nerfed the Fume Ultragreatsword a few months after launch and it went from being by far the best ultra greatsword to being so bad it's completely useless. Like, post-nerf it does a lot less damage than weapons that weigh a lot less than it, so the only reason to use it at all is looks. Wayyyy too heavy-handed with the nerfbat, I think. Famously DS2 also nerfed the shit out of lightning miracles in multiple ways and turned them from "way too good" to "so incredibly bad they're totally non-viable." Like, at first it had 10 charges for lightning spear and it would seriously take out bosses in like 5-6 casts. Post nerf, you had THREE charges, AND it would take like 20 of them to kill a boss, making it totally worthless except as a gimmick to surprise people in pvp a couple times.

i found this game's version of the moonlight greatsword and respecced out of dex to put into INT for it.

also i've been hearing horror stories about how hard the last few bosses in the game are, and i think i've finally reached that point in the game? i'm still unsure how far from the end i am at 85 hours but i've burned the Erdtree, woke up in Crumbling Farum Azula, and now i'm fighting maliketh. and this whole zone is no joke, everything is strong and the boss i've already beaten is in the top 5 most bullshit fights in the series, imo

You mean the Dark Moon Greatsword? Or something else? I got that. I'm now finally putting points in int with the goal of using the sword of ice and flame or whatever that aoe legendary thing is called (now up to a whopping 12, of 24 required!!).

I got a few incantations yesterday that required 50 faith, haven't tried them out. Guessing they're spectacular and probably pretty useless.

I am pretty late game, but I'm making absolutely sure I do everything in
Leyendell, because I read once you clear a certain area it burns up and you get locked out a bunch of it.
So, I'm going around making sure I'm doing all the NPC quests possible, which is requiring a LOT of looking stuff up, cause the quests in this game are mostly insane. I am glad I did the Ranni one that gets you the Dark Moon Greatsword, cause yesterday I went through the
Leyendell sewers, which end with a boss, and then there's a secret wall that goes into another MONSTROUS underground zone I hadn't been to previously (I didn't read about it, and I didn't happen upon the entrance to it in Limura). At the end of THAT zone, there was an NPC that wanted an item that I'd gotten at the end of the Ranni chain, and giving that to them spawned yet another boss, which was by far the most visually spectacular one I've seen in the game yet. I was overlevelled for it, but hey, that made it fun instead of frustrating.

I am dreading going back to Mountaintop of the Giants, which is an overtuned mess. I did get the really cool deer antler armor so maybe I'll switch to that and see if it makes any difference in survivability. I also have Moghwyn Palace that I haven't tried the boss on yet, but I think I got to him before teleporting out.

Last edited:

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I got a few incantations yesterday that required 50 faith, haven't tried them out. Guessing they're spectacular and probably pretty useless.

Isn't the only good spell in Souls history that had 50+ INT/FAITH Crystal Soul Spear, and literally everything else that high is flat out garbage?

Would be a shame to break that tradition 🤣

wankerness

Reaction score
Isn't the only good spell in Souls history that had 50+ INT/FAITH Crystal Soul Spear, and literally everything else that high is flat out garbage?

Would be a shame to break that tradition 🤣
There's some int spell in this game everyone talks about as "kamehameha" that's supposedly incredibly overpowered against bosses. I just looked it up, and it's called Comet Azur and requires 60 int!

There's one that requires 70 that you get from the second major boss, too, but I dunno if that one's any good.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
You mean the Dark Moon Greatsword?
I do. The weapon art for it is moonlight greatsword and i'm lazy so i just keep calling it that
There's some int spell in this game everyone talks about as "kamehameha" that's supposedly incredibly overpowered against bosses. I just looked it up, and it's called Comet Azur and requires 60 int!
i've seen a friend use this and it's absolutely busted, it's almost certainly going to be nerfed, but while it lasts it seems fun for the meme. who knows though, maybe from wants people to be OP? Some of these final fights are fuckin ridiculous

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I do. The weapon art for it is moonlight greatsword and i'm lazy so i just keep calling it that

i've seen a friend use this and it's absolutely busted, it's almost certainly going to be nerfed, but while it lasts it seems fun for the meme. who knows though, maybe from wants people to be OP? Some of these final fights are fuckin ridiculous

Its honestly hard to say what is intentional with From.

There's plenty of times where they give a boss a "weakness" and its so extreme that the boss just collapses and is totally trivial, and it feels like you used a glitch.

But I do agree in this game they are throwing stuff at you like ash summons and wonderous physicks and stuff that is borderline busted, but some fights seem to assume that you will be using them at full potential and happily slap you on the bellend if you aren't.

The dude I'm fighting atm is Cemetery Shade and he is just... The fight is another small room with multiple reassembling skeletons, and this boss who teleports and is a fucking damage blender and also deals a lot of bleed. He doesn't have much HP, but if he catches you you're fucked. I think the only way to do him without using all those extra things is to be so fucking hard that you can one-hit kill him, and even then you need to sprint at him and do a jumping R2.

Is this intentional or is this Ceaseless Discharge? We may never know.

stevexc

Reaction score
So i one-shot the wolf boss in Raya in one go. But that little knight after the obvious location (avoiding spoilers) wiped the floor with me. This game is hilarious sometimes man. Rocking the double big-head atm.

He felt super easy. He killed me my first time because I biffed my roll after I dropped the jellyfish and got caught on the door frame, so he just pinned me against the door and went to town. Second time I got out of the way and just beat him right up, but got cocky at the end and he killed me - but juuuuust before I fully dissolved I got the "GREAT ENEMY FELLED" or whatever message. Then the game froze at the load screen and I had to Alt+F4 and I just couldn't bring myself to restart to see if it saved it until the next day. All good though, got the credit!

First and only freeze I've had thus far though. It did crash once later on somehow - I had alt+tabbed to check something, got up to run to the washroom, and when I came back the game was closed. Not sure what happened.

Its honestly hard to say what is intentional with From.

There's plenty of times where they give a boss a "weakness" and its so extreme that the boss just collapses and is totally trivial, and it feels like you used a glitch.

But I do agree in this game they are throwing stuff at you like ash summons and wonderous physicks and stuff that is borderline busted, but some fights seem to assume that you will be using them at full potential and happily slap you on the bellend if you aren't.

The dude I'm fighting atm is Cemetery Shade and he is just... The fight is another small room with multiple reassembling skeletons, and this boss who teleports and is a fucking damage blender and also deals a lot of bleed. He doesn't have much HP, but if he catches you you're fucked. I think the only way to do him without using all those extra things is to be so fucking hard that you can one-hit kill him, and even then you need to sprint at him and do a jumping R2.

Is this intentional or is this Ceaseless Discharge? We may never know.

In the other fight with Cemetery Shade on the Weeping Peninsula I thoroughly stomped him (and the skellies throughout the dungeon) with the traditional
Holy damage
. That weakness goes beyond the franchise for sure.