Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• Thread starter Vicissitude27
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
Glad you bumped this, duder. It's been a couple weeks since I played last, so I'mma hop back in with the last character I made (another Khajiit who focuses on hand-to-hand, but this time no cheating, haha).

Yeah, it's been a while since I played, as well. I haven't played my High Elf, much, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
It's odd playing with hand-to-hand, since there's little I can do to improve the skill, and using it doesn't level anything up. I have to remember to use defensive skills like block and oakflesh, which is a complete 180 from just charging in and swinging my warhammer like I just don't give a fuck. Now I charge in with my claws, take a beating, and remember "oh yeah, I should probably use a bit of strategy with this build" :lol:.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
After doing some digging on UESP, I've discovered that the maximum unarmed damage it's possible to do under the best possible circumstances is about 68 damage per strike. That sounds great for a low-level character, but I just don't know how feasible it'd be to stick with that for a high-level character.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Okay, with the Khajiit starting Unarmed damage of 10, plus 15 for the claws ability, 18 from the Fists of Steel perk and my Daedric gauntlets, and 13x2 from my ring and gauntlets enchanted with Fortify Unarmored, I'm dolling out 69 damage per Unarmed strike. That'd be awesome at a lower level, but all the grinding it took to get to that has brought me up to level 33. Even then 69dps isn't exactly something to sneeze at (I can drop a restless draugr in 3 swipes), but I find myself slurping down health potions and casting Stoneflesh and Fast Healing alot more often than I would with a character that actually uses weapons. I'm gonna stick with it, though, because the extra challenge it presents and the added strategy it requires is breathing some new life into the game.

Plus it's hilarious punching a bear to death :lol:.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
Frost Mages are douchebags. Thankfully, my first Nord is such a badass that I can cut them down easily.

Dragonplate armor that I've improved to Legendary and enchanted along with an Ebony Sword that is Legendary and enchanted with soul trap is an awesome setup.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
The worst thing about Frost Mages is that those stupid ice spikes slow down your movement speed, so if you didn't manage to close the gap quickly enough before you got stuck for the first time, you could well be screwed.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
The worst thing about Frost Mages is that those stupid ice spikes slow down your movement speed, so if you didn't manage to close the gap quickly enough before you got stuck for the first time, you could well be screwed.

Yeah, which is why I love Nords so much, having 50% frost resistance is baller.

beneharris

Reaction score
has anybody tried out the hd texture pack they released as dlc today? i'm downloading it now just to see what its like

edit:

awesome they have a built in mod installer and browser on steam now. thatsgreat

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
has anybody tried out the hd texture pack they released as dlc today? i'm downloading it now just to see what its like

edit:

awesome they have a built in mod installer and browser on steam now. thatsgreat

I haven't tried it yet, and I'm not entirely sure I'm going to. My computer handles Skyrim on relatively high settings just fine, but I haven't even tried using maximum settings with the default textures yet. I'm not sure that my comp's specs are far enough past Beth's recommended specs to bother with the new pack.

AxeHappy

Reaction score

I've seen the difference in quality and I already had it modded to look better 5 days after it was released.

Not impressed.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I DLed the new texture pack yesterday then started a new character to take it for a test drive. Honestly, if it makes much of a difference, I haven't been able to tell so far. I'd like to see some before and after shots to see what all they changed, because so far I'm just not seeing it. I've heard some people say that the changes aren't that obvious if you were already playing it on fairly high settings, which I was, so perhaps that's the issue. Maybe I'll disable the textures after using them for a few weeks to see if I notice a change then.

New textures or lack thereof aside, the new Steam Workshop area for uploadin/downloading mods looks pretty fucking awesome, and it should make using mods much more approachable and easier for us not-so-computer-inclined PC gamers. Yes, we exist, hahaha. I had to PM Razzy to make sure my computer even had specs good enough to run the new textures, because I'm pretty hopeless with that sort of thing.

EDIT: And for further proof of how lame I am, I gave my new build a backstory. I made a female Orc named Lady Borgrob gra-Shurgak (keen observers might recognize the surname *coughLordRugdumphcough*). She comes from landed nobility, but left Orsinium to avoid the typical Orcish societal fate of becoming one of the many wives of a clan chief, for two reasons: 1) She'd far rather be out bashing in some skulls than back at a long house making armor for the men and doing... erm... whatever wifey things Orquettes (lol) do, and 2) She doesn't swing that way. Yeah, she likes the ladies. Not even orc ladies, at that. She read about the history of the Nords as a orcling (lol) and became obsessed with Talos and the idea that a mortal warrior could become a God. When she heard about the ban on Talos worship and the Stormcloak Rebellion, she decided to make her way from Orsinium to Skyrim (where she was captured trying to cross the border) to throw her hat in with the Stormcloaks to restore Talos to his rightful place among the Nine Divines, and, if she's lucky, hook up with a nord woman somewhere along the way.

I really, really need a girlfriend.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
EDIT: And for further proof of how lame I am, I gave my new build a backstory. I made a female Orc named Lady Borgrob gra-Shurgak (keen observers might recognize the surname *coughLordRugdumphcough*). She comes from landed nobility, but left Orsinium to avoid the typical Orcish societal fate of becoming one of the many wives of a clan chief, for two reasons: 1) She'd far rather be out bashing in some skulls than back at a long house making armor for the men and doing... erm... whatever wifey things Orquettes (lol) do, and 2) She doesn't swing that way. Yeah, she likes the ladies. Not even orc ladies, at that. She read about the history of the Nords as a orcling (lol) and became obsessed with Talos and the idea that a mortal warrior could become a God. When she heard about the ban on Talos worship and the Stormcloak Rebellion, she decided to make her way from Orsinium to Skyrim (where she was captured trying to cross the border) to throw her hat in with the Stormcloaks to restore Talos to his rightful place among the Nine Divines, and, if she's lucky, hook up with a nord woman somewhere along the way.

Dude, coming up with backstories for your builds is not lame, at all. :lol:

My newest Nord (his name is Bjorn) grew up in Skyrim and fought in many a battle, then afterwards, he left Skyrim and went to Cyrodiil; living under the protection of the Empire for a long time. He left Cyrodiil years later and headed home to Skyrim, where he was captured (as all of our characters are :lol: ) and sent to the block. After he escaped from the block and from Helgen with Ralof, he has felt cheated by the Empire, who he had fought with and for many times, so he decides to join the Stormcloaks and fight against the Empire to regain Skyrim for the Nords! Huzzah! :rofl:

GhostsofAcid

Suiçmez fanboy
Reaction score
So now that i've done everything possible in skyrim at least twice... I decided to play morrowind again. It'll be interesting to play through Bloodmoon post skyrim and see what differences there are in the two Nord cultures.

MrMcSick

Derp
Reaction score
I still have a few broken quests on my console after the update this week. 1 being still not being able to get the windhelm house, ugh.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Level 6 Orc, mostly using Ancient Nord Bow but just found a slightly better enchanted bow (12 damage, blue aura - can't remember the name).

:metal: