Elysian Pickups - 2017

• Thread starter ElysianGuitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just re-upped my vendor subscription, as I've been busy working on a rebrand, as well as a ton of pickups for the upcoming Dallas International Guitar Festival, and just wanted to check in and show everyone what I've been up to.

ElysianPickupsLogo.png

My Tuned Aperture patent is basically complete now, just waiting for the final piece of paper that says I have been granted a patent. It was a long process and cost me several thousand of my own money, but I believe is a worthwhile endeavor. With that being said, I decided over the last year that I need to shift my focus at the present away from my guitars, and hone in on pickups as my main business. This last year I have expanded my pickup making capabilities significantly, while still keeping things hand made. That means a laser cutter for any fiberboard I may need to cut, as well as to etch my logo, a CNC for any baseplates or custom bobbins necessary, and a 3D printer for my Tuned Aperture bit.

About that last part, the Tuned Aperture bit... I've come up with a way to make my asymmetrical bobbins without having to actually make the bobbins, and that is to 3D print a small insert that just clips into a standard bobbin, achieving the desired asymmetrical result. I basically tune the shape of the spool of wire around the pickup to accentuate certain frequencies by default, all depending on what the customer needs. Here's a 3D render of the bit:

TunedApertureBit.png

And a 2D representation of how it is installed in the bobbin:

TAP_Insert_Bobbin.png

This small bit physically puts more wire around the low or high string, changes the resistance per wind of the pickup, and allows the bobbin to pick up a wider range of the magnetic field in the pickup.

Using this bit can allow for dual tones in single coils, where in one orientation you can get more bass, and in the opposite orientation, rotated 180 degrees, you get richer, louder treble. In humbuckers, there are several different configurations, as well as asymmetrically wound coils (one coil has more winds than the other). My standard bridge pickup configuration gives you punchier, more present low end with richer, thicker treble on the high strings. Some other configurations in the bridge can go from thick, almost sludgy bass to cutting mids and treble. These configurations are all tailored to what the player is looking for.

My pickups have 4 standard winds, ranging from a PAF style vintage wind using thicker 42AWG wire and low resistance, to a hot modern wind, using 44AWG wire and lots of resistance. When I take an order, my priority is matching the voicing of the pickup with the sound the customer is after.

Another option for increasing output is the magnet configuration. My options are all the commercially available options of AlNiCo and ceramic, and on some models I also do a bar magnet underneath and charged magnetic poles in one or both of the bobbins. I've not had an order for neodynium yet, but that is an option as well.

Here is a recent set, and some clips comparing it to a Kiesel Lithium bridge pickup:

Kenny.jpg

http://soundcloud.com/kennygerbick/elysian-obsidian-bridge-pickup-vs-kiesel-lithium-bridge-pickup

Here are some pictures of recent work, starting with an EMG sized set I sent to Donny Burbage of Aether Realm:

AetherRealm.jpg

AetherRealmBack.jpg

The set on the left in this picture is a multiscale set, matching the angle of the bridge (~21 degrees) and the neck, and the set on the right is the set I sent to Knightro Guitars for his multiscale Pioneer.

Goliath&Knightro.jpg

Here's a few sets that went to Goliath Guitars:

Goliath.jpg

This cocobolo set went to Caton Guitars out of Chicago:

CatonCocobolo.jpg

I've been working for the past couple months on Dallas International Guitar Festival stock, here's some of that:

FirstBatchDGIF.jpg

3rdBatchDGIF.jpg

This pale moon ebony set went to Reichardt Guitars (who will also be my booth mate at the Dallas Int. Guitar Fest):

PMESet.jpg

Here's a basic zebra 7 string set:

Zebra7.jpg

And here's an example of my retail packaging:

7StringBoxedSet.jpg

I've also recently been working on two guitars to bring with me to the Dallas International Guitar Festival, here's one:

Espada6.jpg

Here's the body after finish:

Espada6Body.jpg

Headstock:

Espada6Headstock.jpg

The other guitar will be the same body style/type, but with a roasted maple fretboard and a six string Hipshot Contour tremolo. Both guitars will be available for sale at/after the show.

We've also got t-shirts, if anyone is interested these are $20 shipped in the US:

TShirts.jpg

And guitar picks, which are included with any purchase:

GuitarPicks.jpg

I think that covers it for now, you can check my stuff out on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or the web (though the pickups website is still very much in progress):

http://www.facebook.com/elysian.pickups
http://twitter.com/elysianpickups
http://www.instagram.com/elysian.pickups/
http://elysian.guitars
http://www.elysianpickups.com

Let me know if you have any questions! I have a lot of in stock pickups right now, so if you're interested in a set it mostly can ship immediately.

-Adam

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrat's! Those look really nice, and I'm keen on the tuned aperture idea!

Are the EMG sized string pips available to the public? I couldn't find them on your site.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Congrat's! Those look really nice, and I'm keen on the tuned aperture idea!

Are the EMG sized string pips available to the public? I couldn't find them on your site.

They are, I can do them in an EMG sized housing, or like the one pictured, which has an ebony top and 3D printed sides. Pricing on EMG sized 7 and 8 string pickups starts at $125, shipped in the US. Some options have a small upcharge, but I try to keep it reasonable.

Sorry about the site, we've been working on it for a little while now, but the main focus has been getting the guitar show stuff ready :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

getowned7474

Neck_Pro
Reaction score
My humbucker pricing starts at $100, my single coils at $85, shoot me an email and we can work something up :hbang:

These look great and that price sounds really good too. I assume you do multiscale pickups as well? I saw you mentioned it in your post but the photo under it wasn't showing. I'm interested in replacing the Kiesel lithiums in my multiscale Kiesel 8 string so I will probably hit you up in the next month or two.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
These look great and that price sounds really good too. I assume you do multiscale pickups as well? I saw you mentioned it in your post but the photo under it wasn't showing. I'm interested in replacing the Kiesel lithiums in my multiscale Kiesel 8 string so I will probably hit you up in the next month or two.

Yes, I offer multiscale pickups, just need to know the specifics on the Kiesels that are in there currently. I'll look around and see what I can find. On pickups like that I can use standard bobbins I believe, so it won't be as pricey as fully custom multiscale pickups.

Fixing the botched link in the OP momentarily.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
While looking through my Dropbox I came across some pictures from an old photoshoot. Here's one I fabricobbled together to show the multiscale Espada 8 I made a while back. The pickups in this were made by me, and had 1/4" Alnico V pole pieces and black stained birdseye maple pickups.

MultiscaleEspada8_small.jpg

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It'd be really interesting to take a guitar and record frequency graphs on the output signal with the various versions of this to see exactly where the frequency differences are with the winding variants. Cool stuff.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
It'd be really interesting to take a guitar and record frequency graphs on the output signal with the various versions of this to see exactly where the frequency differences are with the winding variants. Cool stuff.

I've thought about doing some sort of testing, like wind a pickup without it, then compare it to a similarly wound pickup with the various bits in various configurations, just haven't had the time to do that yet. I'll probably be able to work on that after I build my auto-winder, that way I can eliminate the scatterwound effects.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Finished up the first of two guitars for the Dallas International Guitar Festival. This one has a mahogany body, maple/bubinga 3 piece neck, ebony board, bone nut, Hipshot hardware, CTS pots, Switchcraft jack, and my Tuned Aperture pickups, hot vintage wind.

Espada1.jpg

Espada2.jpg

Espada3.jpg

Espada4.jpg

Espada5.jpg

Espada6.jpg

Espada7.jpg

Espada8.jpg

Espada9.jpg

High res gallery is on imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/lCdH3

This guitar is $2000, and if doesn't sell at the show will be available after the show ends on the 7th.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
I'd 100% recommend giving Adam's pickups a go. He's been fantastic to work with and really nailed the sound I was looking for in my custom Tele/humbucker set. I'm absolutely looking forward to installing more Tuned Aperture pickups in the near future!

I know SSO might not be the most country place on the interwebs, but here's a video of my Elysian-loaded Pioneer MS6 in the hands of its owner (Eddie Willer of Steeltown Religion). As I said earlier, Adam completely nailed the pumped-up Tele vibe I was looking for. Enjoy!

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Adam,

Nice work. Good to see you here again.

Ray

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Thanks Andrew, Ray!

Here's the 2nd guitar I'll hopefully be able to bring to the Dallas International Guitar Festival. I've only got 3 days to finish it :ugh:

EspadaTrem.jpg

The Hipshot Contour Tremolo is supposed to be here today. I was able to finish the finish yesterday, so I think I can get it done, but I still need to finish the fret work, make a nut, then assemble, set up, test, and tweak setup. I also need to make the cavity covers for both guitars, as well as truss rod covers.

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
Adam's guitar work is fantastic, can't wait to try these pickups.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
i like it, just think black knobs would fit the aesthetic more. Also, just wanted to drop in and say the pickup you made for me is awesome, easily one of my favorites out of all the pickups I've tested so far.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
i like it, just think black knobs would fit the aesthetic more. Also, just wanted to drop in and say the pickup you made for me is awesome, easily one of my favorites out of all the pickups I've tested so far.

I'll give it a shot with similar black knobs when I get home, you may be right.

Also thanks!

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
We're all set up at the Dallas International Guitar Festival, sharing a booth with Reichardt Guitars! Pics:

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

The guitars Nate brought are incredible, really top notch build quality. We're going to have the pickups in the glass case, and we've got plenty of t-shirts available. If anyone wants a t-shirt, shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of.

As always, if you're in the area, come check us out at the show, booth 113! We're very near the front entrance on the south side of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.