EMG pickups/tone help?

ACfireandiceDC

Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, this is NOT a rant, even if it may sound like one. I would love to be able to get some good use out of these pickups.

I have some questions about achieving a good tone with EMG 707 pickups. Everyone says that they're awesome pickups, but I haven't had that experience.

IMO they have very poor treble response, and their high output can cause clipping on the clean channel, and create a lot of awful background noise on the high-gain channel. There seems to be some very strange-sounding high-mid/treble frequencies. I tried posting a demo here but it won't let me.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get a good tone from these pickups?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
Screw them down as far as they go in your guitar.

Had 808's and it helped my tone.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Never been a 707 fan. My least favorite EMGs. You can try the 18v mod. It helps a bit. Personally I have swapped all the 707's I have had to X series or 57/66's.

CrazyDean

Reaction score
The 18v mod helps a lot, especially the 707. Also, roll the volume knob back some on cleans to prevent clipping.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Never been a 707 fan. My least favorite EMGs. You can try the 18v mod. It helps a bit. Personally I have swapped all the 707's I have had to X series or 57/66's.

^ This! I suggest try 18v mod but if you still don't like it, either get a 707x, 85-7, 85-7x, or 57-7 for bridge. For neck, either 66-7 or 60-7, 60-7x. My 2c

MYGFH

Music your GF hates
Reaction score
Love my EMG's for the stability in tone. Change those batteries and remember to unplug ur guitar when ur done cause that uses up the batteries same as playing.

I do the opposite of cip_123 and raise my actives as close to the strings as possible.

Good luck!

Latest posts