Emg toggle switch

• Thread starter Willyjacksonjs22-7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got my firs emg 81 pickup. I removed the pickups, cables and old toggle swtich from my les paul 100 ( first guitar to experiment with emg 81, next will be my shecter). So right now i will be only using the 81 with 1 volume and 1 tone knob. Later on I will like to install an 85 or 60 for the neck to get some nice cleans, I know i could of left the old switch but emg has a solderless toggle switch that looks nice. My question is will i have to buy any extra cables or anything else so i can connect the 81 with whatever neck pick up i get and the emg switch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
You need to buy pots if you had passive pickups before the 81. EMG sells solderless kits for like $50 that include 4 pots, battery clip, stereo jack, and enough wires. The switch is separate.

pahulkster

Reaction score
Probably need a longer cable for the switch on a Les Paul. 24voltmod has switches prewired with the solderless connections. If you know how to solder it only takes a second to extend the wire.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
EMG ships the 3-way toggle with 2 different length wires to accommodate both an LP body or a regular control cavity/3-way.

Hahahha just don’t try using the stock toggle switch unless you know for sure it’s wired exactly the same as EMG’s because it just leads to headaches. After I put the ZW kit in an LP and went through the headache of figuring out I needed the EMG switch I had 3 friends hit me up over the following 2 weeks, “Dude how the hell do you get the toggle to work?!?”

The Monster With .

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You could just do a 1 volume 1 tone setup, and use one of the left over holes from the old 2 volume 2 tone for your toggle switch, like what James Hetfield does.Then you don't have to worry about extending the wires up to the old switch.

8_Full_Left_Front_NA-733eeb6d8106bfd100f5f118306f3b6e.jpg

You'll have to widen the hole a little, because switches have wider thread than pots, but it's easy, and it's your old first guitar, so why not mod it?

The Monster With .

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here is a one pickup emg wiring kit straight from the factory for $25

EMG wiring kit

That has everything you need to get you up and running with one pickup. Then, when ever you decide to add the neck pickup, you can buy the EMG toggle switch.

Or just leave it with the 81 in the bridge and no neck, single pickup guitars are cool.

Reaction score
thanks guys the emg 81 came with the wiring kit. I will order the toggle switch and neck pickup in a future.

So i did the installation, 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob, test it with my peavey vypyr vip and i wasnt getting that much gain from the pick up and picking response, i tried to raise the pickup and nothing. i tried my other guitars with passives and i was getting a chunky metal tone with the vypyr. I dont think i did nothing wrong but i left one old redcable that is solder or inside a small hole inside the cavity because i didnt know what it is for ( sorry not experience with electronics) but the good news is i plugged the guitar to my audio interface ( -10db) ran bias fx ( i know dont even use the plugin ) and wow there it was, chuncky palm mute metal tone! and lots of clarity compare to the lp 100 stock pickups which by surprise were hotter then the emg 81 and fishman on my lp prophecy.

Man, im loving the emg 81 more than the fishmans! pickups do make a difference, i had Gleen in my head saying you dont need it lol but i got the 81 anyways lol
any reason why my vypyr wasnt responding to the 81? its odd